Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 08:09 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times

Advertisements

Consider the paddy wagon. From the mid-19th century through the mid-20th, this was the common term for the vehicles in which police hauled convicts and arrestees to jails, courts and prisons. Consider, now, the origin of the term. The “paddies” were Irish immigrants, who were flocking to the United States in the 1840s and ’50s, fleeing the great famine that had descended on Ireland. And the Irish, some right-thinking Protestant Americans believed, were inherently a criminal bunch.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...f92_story.html

Wash Post: can someone say a FAIL here?! The Irish mostly came to the US legally; so QUIT trying to blur the lines between legal and illegal aliens, Ok?

If there are any Irish people in the US illegally in 2015, their kind still need to leave. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 08:32 AM

24,485 posts, read 17,226,594 times
I was out to dinner last night with some good folks but their views are very liberal and they think Trump is a blow hard A- hole.
They think it is absolutely ridiculous that Trump wants to deport all the Mexicans and everyone else that is an immigrant. One of my friends said when is it going to stop, most everyone in America was an immigrant at one time.....

He also said what does your wife think? my wife is from Ireland and she likes Trump.

What many people understand is Trump is after the illegal aliens. Most people don't have a problem with immigrants as long as they come to America legally.

If you are here illegally you should be arrested and sent back to where you came from.
People who sneak into or overstay their visa are a real problem in America that is costing us all . The fact that these law breakers have a say, are demanding rights and handouts and our president is listening to them is disgusting.

Being in America illegally is a criminal act but so many forget that fact.
For anyone that wants to immigrate legally myself, Trump and millions of other folks with common sense say Welcome.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:35 AM

23,549 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Consider the paddy wagon. From the mid-19th century through the mid-20th, this was the common term for the vehicles in which police hauled convicts and arrestees to jails, courts and prisons. Consider, now, the origin of the term. The “paddies” were Irish immigrants, who were flocking to the United States in the 1840s and ’50s, fleeing the great famine that had descended on Ireland. And the Irish, some right-thinking Protestant Americans believed, were inherently a criminal bunch.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...f92_story.html

Wash Post: can someone say a FAIL here?! The Irish mostly came to the US legally; so QUIT trying to blur the lines between legal and illegal aliens, Ok?

If there are any Irish people in the US illegally in 2015, their kind still need to leave. Period.
Annex Mexico, problems solved.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:31 AM

62,940 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Annex Mexico, problems solved.
Nope! They have their own culture and language. Annexing them would be changing our demographics and identifying culture permanently. Doesn't solve the problem by adding more poverty to our country either.

Last edited by Oldglory; 10-08-2015 at 09:50 AM..

Old 10-08-2015, 12:11 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,608,104 times
And this is why too many Americans are soft on illegal immigration today. They have never set foot in California or Florida or other areas being overrun by illegals, yet when they hear talk of enforcing immigration law they think 'gosh my ancestors would've been turned away, and I wouldn't be an American today.' Uh no--we are living in completely different times than 1840. I can't even read people like this author anymore who blur the lines between legal and illegal, ignore that the fact that were was no welfare state back then, and make no mention of the fact that one-third of immigrants who couldn't cut it back then went home! Nobody goes home now.

And at least the Irish speak English!

Old 10-08-2015, 12:45 PM

62,940 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
And this is why too many Americans are soft on illegal immigration today. They have never set foot in California or Florida or other areas being overrun by illegals, yet when they hear talk of enforcing immigration law they think 'gosh my ancestors would've been turned away, and I wouldn't be an American today.' Uh no--we are living in completely different times than 1840. I can't even read people like this author anymore who blur the lines between legal and illegal, ignore that the fact that were was no welfare state back then, and make no mention of the fact that one-third of immigrants who couldn't cut it back then went home! Nobody goes home now.

And at least the Irish speak English!
Yes, you're right. Not only does the author of this article blur the lines between legal and illegal but many Americans do also. They think they're all immigrants when that simply isn't true. Those who come here illegally aren't immigrants they are illegal aliens. There are good reasons why immigration has to be regulated today compared to the past. I guess they use no common sense they are just ruled by their emotions. Those who came here in the past did not steal jobs, taxes and resources from Americans either.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:47 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
Does anyone else wonder where these people come from that are ignorant about US History? Maybe they just were drop-outs? All of this was covered in US History which was a required course in high school. I called a high school just maybe 4 years ago and they were still teaching it and it was a required course for students in KS at that time. It was required in MI.

Truly, the mark of ignorance in here is those who don't have a clue and claim that people coming in the 1800s, well, their ancestors would be deported. My ancestors came, from what I can gather, for religious freedom (yeah, spinning in their graves now), not to mooch off of others or have babies and have someone else pay to raise them. They were farmers, later generations were a mix of farmers and factory workers in MI/IN, where these were needed and they displaced no one.

Again, my ancestors came sleeves rolled up to help build the country not hands out. The Irish. The Scottish. The Hungarian. The German.

Old 10-08-2015, 02:04 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,746,321 times
Most Irish came through Elis Island. They assimilated to this country and their children as well.
They did not come for welfare and most were denied work at all. Bigotry knows no bounds.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:29 PM

22,471 posts, read 11,995,014 times
Harold Meyerson, the author of the article, is despicable. He and his ilk are some of the reasons we stopped subscribing to WaPo. If you look at the majority of the comments attached to this article, you will see that many are disgusted with him. He constantly writes nonsense like that and calls anyone who is against illegal immigration a "nativist". Here is his bio:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Meyerson

About | Harold Meyerson

I'm sure that his DC neighborhood is one of the most affluent with no flophouses filled with illegals anywhere near his ivory tower.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:35 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,177,908 times
What an absolutely asinine comparison....

Honestly the ILLEGALS that are now receiving handouts &
freebies on the taxpayers dime are laughing at all of the stupid Americans...
This country is a joke, to the world
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration