U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-31-2008, 10:22 AM
 
1,353 posts, read 3,130,333 times
Reputation: 891

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
If every last one of you left tomorrow this country wouldn't bat an eye.

So, you have something against Irish-Americans now? Wow. Talk about bigoted. But reading your posts thus far, it doesn't surprise me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-31-2008, 10:41 AM
 
1,304 posts, read 2,921,056 times
Reputation: 393
she was and is referring to ILLEGALS.. from any country who did sneak into OUR country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2008, 10:56 AM
 
Location: San Diego North County
4,800 posts, read 7,687,743 times
Reputation: 3010
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
So, you have something against Irish-Americans now? Wow. Talk about bigoted. But reading your posts thus far, it doesn't surprise me.
Wow. How far did you have to stretch to reach that conclusion?

Even with only three cups of coffee in me and a serious head cold going on, I was still able to comprehend that andreabeth is referring to illegal aliens and their supporters.

What do Irish Americans have to do with anything?

Oh, and I'd watch the name calling if I were you. Calling people bigots or racists is not well tolerated by the mods in this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2008, 11:47 AM
 
Location: #
9,605 posts, read 14,273,941 times
Reputation: 6260
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
And so it seems do a lot of Americans. Why is it Cubans get amnesty anyways? Just because their leader is communist. Who cares? What if the communist party takes over Mexico? Will we have to give everyone from Mexico amnesty also? The vast majority of Cubans were educated when they came while the vast majority of Mexicans were not. Cubans are welcome with open arms. Many want the Mexicans to go home. Smacks of classism to me.
Why doesn't anyone ever want to respond to this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2008, 11:56 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: Denver
9,060 posts, read 15,467,286 times
Reputation: 5288
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv
And so it seems do a lot of Americans. Why is it Cubans get amnesty anyways? Just because their leader is communist. Who cares? What if the communist party takes over Mexico? Will we have to give everyone from Mexico amnesty also? The vast majority of Cubans were educated when they came while the vast majority of Mexicans were not. Cubans are welcome with open arms. Many want the Mexicans to go home. Smacks of classism to me.
Why doesn't anyone ever want to respond to this?
You have it right, nobody can argue with you.

Growing up in South Florida I will tell you why Cubans are accepted more, because the illegal Cubans that come to the US usually turn Republican and are considered higher class (even if they come here poor). It is a class thing, Mexicans are considered lower class and it is easier to pick low hanging fruit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2008, 11:59 AM
 
Location: San Diego North County
4,800 posts, read 7,687,743 times
Reputation: 3010
I'll respond.

No one should receive automatic amnesty...no one. I don't care if they're Cuban, Mexican, or Martian.

That said, I understand that there are going to be instances which necessitate a situation of political asylum, much more so when dealing with refugees from Cuba fleeing a communist dictator in fear for their lives than a Mexican citizen who pays a coyote to smuggle them over our southern border illegally so that they can work under the table for cash that they send back to Mexico with no intention of becoming a part of the fabric of this country.

Can you see where the difference might lie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2008, 12:15 PM
 
9,742 posts, read 9,059,856 times
Reputation: 2049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
You have it right, nobody can argue with you.

Growing up in South Florida I will tell you why Cubans are accepted more, because the illegal Cubans that come to the US usually turn Republican and are considered higher class (even if they come here poor). It is a class thing, Mexicans are considered lower class and it is easier to pick low hanging fruit.
What on earth does the Republican Party have to do with anything? AFAIK, the wet foot/dry foot policy has been in place for decades, through Republican and Democratic administrations and Congress majorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2008, 12:26 PM
 
1,353 posts, read 3,130,333 times
Reputation: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Wow. How far did you have to stretch to reach that conclusion?

Even with only three cups of coffee in me and a serious head cold going on, I was still able to comprehend that andreabeth is referring to illegal aliens and their supporters.

What do Irish Americans have to do with anything?

Oh, and I'd watch the name calling if I were you. Calling people bigots or racists is not well tolerated by the mods in this forum.

Re-read the post again. The poster who calls himself "andrea" thought I was either hispanic or an illegal alien (yeah, like I'm sure there are TONS of illegal immigrants posting on City-Data.com forums ) and said that if I left, no one would "bat an eye". So since I'm Irish, should i go back to Ireland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2008, 12:31 PM
 
Location: South Bay Native
13,048 posts, read 21,158,596 times
Reputation: 22524
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Why doesn't anyone ever want to respond to this?
I believe the answer you are looking for would be the concept of Political Asylum. Those leaving Cuba are claiming political asylum if I am not mistaken. The U.S. doesn't have much going legally for those who seek refuge from poverty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2008, 12:32 PM
 
9,742 posts, read 9,059,856 times
Reputation: 2049
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
Re-read the post again. The poster who calls himself "andrea" thought I was either hispanic or an illegal alien (yeah, like I'm sure there are TONS of illegal immigrants posting on City-Data.com forums ) and said that if I left, no one would "bat an eye". So since I'm Irish, should i go back to Ireland?
I've read it again and again. Nowhere does "Irish-American" appear.

Thinking you are illegal may be presumptuous, but it most certainly isn't bigoted.

By the way, there are people who want you to "go back to Ireland." Check this out: La Voz de Aztlan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top