U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 05:47 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
So in other words, you are saying Cuba's oppression is somehow superior to Mexico's? At least in Cuba, everyone gets a TV, food, a steady job and health care. It may be sub-standard to us however it is much more than the average Mexican citizen receives. Personally, I am not against anyone fleeing any sort of oppression to come to the United States. I am, however, against the double-standard that has been created by the U.S. government. Do you have first hand knowledge of living in a country that is run by drug kingpins? How about a country that has a hidden caste system wherein the darker you are the chance of you moving up in society is impossible. Cuba and Mexico's situation may be different. Saying that it is an insult to compare the impovershed that have no chance of any mobility to eh impovershed that live under the control of a dictator makes little sense to me. Perhaps the ultimate insult is the fact that we in conjunction with Canada have not done something to overthrow the governments that oppress people to the point where they will risk floating on boards for 100 miles across the sea or walk 100 miles across the desert because after all, being eaten by vultures or sharks would be a much better fate than living and dying in Mexico or Cuba.
One huge difference: Cuba tries to keep its people in like any other Communist country-------Mexico OTOH, if anything, it tries to make it easier for its people to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 06:42 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,689,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
No I cannot. Just because the Mexican government is not "communist" doesn't mean they are just as oppressive. And your assumption that Mexicans have no intention of becoming a part of the fabric of this country? Where are these people? I live in Houston which is full of illegals and I have yet to see one running down Westheimer waving a Mexican flag. I will state that I do not know how illegals act in California or Arizona. Only Houston and Chicago. And how does fleeing such a corrupt and poverty enhancing government not necessitate political asylum? Mexico is run by the drug trade and we have a war on drugs. Doesn't that mean political asylum should be automatic for all Mexicans since we are fighting a war?
I hardly see Mexico's government fighting to keep its citizens within its borders while leaving Cuba is, for its citizens, an offense punishable by death.

I just fled Southern Mexifornia, or as we locals like to call it, Northern Tijuana. Don't presume to tell me that these people have any intention of becoming a part of America. I can tell you through painful experience that they do not. They speak their own language, they keep their own culture, they take over entire community enclaves, ensuring precarious passing for those who no longer "fit in" (just ask African Americans in South Central or the former residents of Santa Ana or Maywood) and they hold me, you, and the rest of America in high contempt. As far as they are concerned, we OWE them and they are going to get what they feel they have coming to them regardless of who they have to run over to get it.

Yet I know several Cuban refugees who now live in CA. They tell me that there is not a day that goes by that they do not get down on their knees and thank God that they were taken in by the greatest country on Earth. Two of their sons and one daughter have joined the armed forces and went to Iraq because they believe with everything within them that they owe their lives to this country and her people. One son came back minus a leg to the knee. Is he bitter? Absolutely not. He told me that he would have given more gladly because this country gave solace to his parents, ensuring freedom for he and his siblings. Would these people march down American streets by the millions demanding more from our country and its taxpayers? I think those of us with any sort of perception realize what the answer to that would be.

The man working his farm in Pajacuarán is highly unlikely to be involved in any sort of war. He can come and go as he pleases. It is also not likely that he is worried overmuch about the war on drugs on the U.S./Mexico border. He lives the life of millions of other Mexicans across that country. I hardly think that he or others like him qualify as casualties of the war on drugs, while the vast majority of Cubans escaping to this country do so in fear for their lives.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:59 PM

635 posts, read 1,559,968 times
Someone told me on this site that Latinos in Florida vote differently than Latinos in other states. Mitt Romney's dismal performance of 11% in contrast to John McCain's 50% support of Latinos. This undermines this statement, because Latinos are most focused on illegal immigration regardless of which state. The Republican party has alienated these voters.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:42 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,689,216 times
Most Latinos are Catholic.

Catholics don't perceive Mormons as being Christians but as a cult.

There is the major Latino problem with Romney, not his stance on illegal immigration.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:10 AM

635 posts, read 1,559,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
There is the major Latino problem with Romney, not his stance on illegal immigration.
Maybe for some, but that's probably not the real issue. They said many Christians wouldn't vote for a Mormon because they think its a cult. Sure enough he received a 1/3 of the Florida Republican vote. If you know Florida, there's a ton of christians especially in the panhandle. Cubans have been very loyal to the Republican party, but these numbers supporting McCain they to support Comprehensive immigration reform.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:42 PM

21 posts, read 64,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
I hardly see Mexico's government fighting to keep its citizens within its borders while leaving Cuba is, for its citizens, an offense punishable by death.

...while the vast majority of Cubans escaping to this country do so in fear for their lives.

Where the h**l did you get that? 1- Any cuban citizen with an entry visa to another country will be allowed to leave Cuba. 2- Trying to escape Cuba is not punishable by death. But they will end up in jail. 3- The vast majority of Cubans leave Cuba because of the poor economy, just like the mexicans or any other nation from the third world countries. If the cuban governement would allow these people to go back, a good 50% of them would go back as soon as they see that money does not grow on trees, and that they have to work hard just to pay the rent and the groceries. Of course, after getting used to work and seeing that they can better their lives, they prefer their new lives.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:58 AM

433 posts, read 817,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianpoulin View Post
Where the h**l did you get that? 1- Any cuban citizen with an entry visa to another country will be allowed to leave Cuba. 2- Trying to escape Cuba is not punishable by death. But they will end up in jail. 3- The vast majority of Cubans leave Cuba because of the poor economy, just like the mexicans or any other nation from the third world countries. If the cuban governement would allow these people to go back, a good 50% of them would go back as soon as they see that money does not grow on trees, and that they have to work hard just to pay the rent and the groceries. Of course, after getting used to work and seeing that they can better their lives, they prefer their new lives.
What an absurd statement my friend. Do not generalize because what happened to you.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:10 AM

21 posts, read 64,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson View Post
What an absurd statement my friend. Do not generalize because what happened to you.
I don't know exactly what happened to me but this statement is true. A good cuban friend of mine was granted an entry visa by the US governement, one of hte 20 000 they give every year. Once the papers were in order, and every thing paid, of course, he got out.

A very cute friend of mine from Centro Habana got a tourist visa from the Swiss embassy, thanks to a national from this country. Once the papers were in order, and every thing paid, of course, she got out.

A cuban friend of mine living here in Montreal got, 7 years ago, a working contract. She got a visa from the canadian embassy. Once here, she stayed. After 5 years, she managed to get her 4 children here.

The cuban policy about this is certainly not an open door policy. But they know that if a cuban citizen does not come back, his money will.

And that my friend is how it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration