Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 04:10 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,493,690 times

Advertisements

I hate to think how he would have thanked her had she not provided pro bono legal services and a place to live.

Quote:
WESLACO — Attorney Jennifer Harbury took the unusual step of welcoming an 18-year-old client into her home after an immigration judge released him on bond four months ago.

Gregorio Ruiz repaid the favor, police said Friday, by arranging to have her kidnapped and robbed.

Officers arrested Ruiz on Friday, two days after two armed men broke into his 58-year-old benefactor's home on the city's south side. The gunmen forced Harbury and her ward into their car, blindfolded them and drove them around for hours trying to extract money from the attorney's bank accounts.

Ruiz and the Lerma brothers now face aggravated kidnapping charges, punishable by up to 20 years in prison and $10,000 in fines.

As of late Friday night, all three remained at the Hidalgo County Jail.
Police: Client planned his attorney's kidnapping | weslaco, attorney, client - Now - TheMonitor.com (http://www.themonitor.com/articles/weslaco-26324-attorney-client.html - broken link)

____
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 04:45 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,393,803 times
If the judge had not allowed the criminal alien to be released on bond, the attorney would have never been kidnapped or robbed and the State of Texas wouldn't have to support him/them in prison for the next 2-20 years.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 05-09-2009 at 04:54 PM..

Old 05-09-2009, 05:39 PM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,844,172 times
You reap what you sow.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:41 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,094,098 times
sandy vigne is a personal friend of mine.
kidnap and torture.
see link.

http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local/story/Deputies-Discover-Kidnapped-Brutalized-La-Mesa/4ZgPfw9e902BY2QN1sC16w.cspx (broken link)

Old 05-09-2009, 05:54 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,630,797 times
As was earlier stated, why in the hell was this man released on bond. We are shown every day how utterly incompetent our elected officials can be. And while I am totally for punishing this man for his further criminal activity, I don't want to see tax payer money spent on his 20 year incarceration. Almost like these immigrants are finding new ways to beat the system. I mean come on, a 20 year prison stay is better than going back to Mexico.

And as far as this attorney is concerned, I am deeply sorry she had to come face to face with the true criminal element many illegals represent. I also hate that her kindness was repaid with such a violently, traumatic experience. Maybe we will gain a new advocate for the removal of illegal aliens, however terrible the circumstances were. Yes, I know they are not all like this man and his accomplices. In fact, most are not bad people at all. But if they are illegal, they need to go home and start the legal process of immigration. And in the process, maybe we can get rid of a few of the truly criminal-minded illegals for a while.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:10 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,369,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
As was earlier stated, why in the hell was this man released on bond. We are shown every day how utterly incompetent our elected officials can be. And while I am totally for punishing this man for his further criminal activity, I don't want to see tax payer money spent on his 20 year incarceration. Almost like these immigrants are finding new ways to beat the system. I mean come on, a 20 year prison stay is better than going back to Mexico.

And as far as this attorney is concerned, I am deeply sorry she had to come face to face with the true criminal element many illegals represent. I also hate that her kindness was repaid with such a violently, traumatic experience. Maybe we will gain a new advocate for the removal of illegal aliens, however terrible the circumstances were. Yes, I know they are not all like this man and his accomplices. In fact, most are not bad people at all. But if they are illegal, they need to go home and start the legal process of immigration. And in the process, maybe we can get rid of a few of the truly criminal-minded illegals for a while.
I couldn't agree more. They live better in our prisons than when they are free at home. In comparison, our prisons are the equivalent of a stay in an all expenses paid resort, courtesy of we the taxpayers of course. Additionally, until they build a fully enforced fence or 50 foot wall around the entire perimeter of the southern border, rounding them up and deporting them is simply a waste of time and valuable resources.

They have no problem returning upon release or deportation since for the most part they are not held accountable to our rule of law.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:01 AM

639 posts, read 1,139,048 times
I'm sure this liberal leaning attorney felt she was doing the "right" and "compassionate" thing. Well, sometimes you do in fact reap what you sow like a previous poster stated. Hopefully her opinion is now changed about all of these "poor" misguided illegal aliens who are just "looking for work". Take a look at our prisons. We have a HUGE amount of illegal aliens that we are currently supporting. This country had better wake up before it is too late. Unfortunately, it is more important to watch "American Idol" than it is to pay attention to the decay of your country right before your eyes. God help us.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtAJC View Post
I'm sure this liberal leaning attorney felt she was doing the "right" and "compassionate" thing. Well, sometimes you do in fact reap what you sow like a previous poster stated. Hopefully her opinion is now changed about all of these "poor" misguided illegal aliens who are just "looking for work". Take a look at our prisons. We have a HUGE amount of illegal aliens that we are currently supporting. This country had better wake up before it is too late. Unfortunately, it is more important to watch "American Idol" than it is to pay attention to the decay of your country right before your eyes. God help us.
Therein lies the problem. As more Americans lose their homes and jobs and their lives are no longer running smoothly, perhaps then will they come out of their self induced ignorance with regards to the destruction being caused by illegal aliens.

Here's hoping that they will finally join us in fighting against America's impending demise at the hands of illegal aliens, the traitors in our government and the corporate crooks sponsoring this illegal alien invasion.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:36 AM

3,923 posts, read 3,630,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtAJC View Post
Thankfully, there are a few of us left who focus on the real world instead of living in a giant fantasy. One of the reasons shows like "American Idol" and "Dancing with the Stars" are so big is because the media is geared toward immersing the population in a fantasy world. They keep us all focused on what the "stars" are wearing and where they vacation, who's getting married and who's having kids. Hey, you could be the next "American Idol"!! Bull! It's an engineered campaign of nonsense meant to keep us focused on this Hollywood fantasy world instead of the real issues that face America. It's sad when most young people couldn't tell you who are previous vice president was, but they can sure tell you who won last year's "American Idol" or who was best dressed at the Grammys. Then we have the young college students, so secure in their little college worlds, focused on the injustices suffered by the illegals at the hands of the evil American citizens. Well I say, give them a few years. As more and more jobs go across the border, and illegals are given more room to work higher up the fiscal ladder, they too will feel the effects their nonsensical attitudes helped to create. We all know when it comes to government, time does not heal. Things only get worse if we do not pull back the reins and say "Whooooaoaaaaaa!" And I fear our young generation has not been properly prepared for the way the "real world" actually works. It isn't like the MTV show "Real World" And if we continue to let these young people immerse their lives entirely in material possesions and celebrity hairstyles, this will be a totally different country in 20 years. I am not just talking about illegals in every neighborhood. I am talking about a slow conversion into the United Communist States of America. Destroy them with their vices, control them with their vices!

Old 05-10-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Thankfully, there are a few of us left who focus on the real world instead of living in a giant fantasy. One of the reasons shows like "American Idol" and "Dancing with the Stars" are so big is because the media is geared toward immersing the population in a fantasy world. They keep us all focused on what the "stars" are wearing and where they vacation, who's getting married and who's having kids. Hey, you could be the next "American Idol"!! Bull! It's an engineered campaign of nonsense meant to keep us focused on this Hollywood fantasy world instead of the real issues that face America. It's sad when most young people couldn't tell you who are previous vice president was, but they can sure tell you who won last year's "American Idol" or who was best dressed at the Grammys. Then we have the young college students, so secure in their little college worlds, focused on the injustices suffered by the illegals at the hands of the evil American citizens. Well I say, give them a few years. As more and more jobs go across the border, and illegals are given more room to work higher up the fiscal ladder, they too will feel the effects their nonsensical attitudes helped to create. We all know when it comes to government, time does not heal. Things only get worse if we do not pull back the reins and say "Whooooaoaaaaaa!" And I fear our young generation has not been properly prepared for the way the "real world" actually works. It isn't like the MTV show "Real World" And if we continue to let these young people immerse their lives entirely in material possesions and celebrity hairstyles, this will be a totally different country in 20 years. I am not just talking about illegals in every neighborhood. I am talking about a slow conversion into the United Communist States of America. Destroy them with their vices, control them with their vices!
A few years ago, I remember reading or seeing what you have described as becoming the detriment to America. Unfortunately, I read so much until I can't for the life of me recall whether it was a book I read or a documentary that I viewed.

That being said, all of what you stated has not only come to pass but it the formula for the dumbing down of America. Specifically the current generation of entitlement. Additionally, said perpetrated fantasy (coupled with worldwide access to the internet) of America being the land of dreams as opposed to a sovereign nation with it's share of poverty, crime, corruption and problems has contributed greatly in drawing massive numbers of poverty stricken dreamers from all over the planet. Unfortunately, we the taxpayers are being held accountable for subsidizing their dreams of living a taxpayer subsidized easy life.

You totally and unequivocably nailed it with this post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration