U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2015, 01:31 PM

32 posts, read 52,200 times

Advertisements

This summer I knew of a few people with good work records and 5-10 years experience that answered ads for Roofers for a large mid coast Roofing company. They haven't been hired but illegals have. Although they are very cheap labor for this company Maine people are being denied jobs. If anyone sees this they should report it!

Old 10-14-2015, 07:10 AM

1,199 posts, read 812,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangorboy View Post
This summer I knew of a few people with good work records and 5-10 years experience that answered ads for Roofers for a large mid coast Roofing company. They haven't been hired but illegals have. Although they are very cheap labor for this company Maine people are being denied jobs. If anyone sees this they should report it!
That would be a violation of federal law as a person to work in the US must be able to complete and I-9. On this lists a persons drivers license, social security card, work visa number etc as two forms of Identification is needed.
There are some areas of the country that has safe zones- meaning identification/work visa is not required but usually in areas of say agricultural areas.

Are you sure that it might be actually people that are here to work on a seasonal/work or school visa?

/edit- adding also that roofers are usually the type of position that those hired must be able to be bonded and insured by the employers. Requirements for that are age requirments, proof of work history in said field, and or 'journey men ' prior insurance.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:14 AM

32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineborzoi View Post
That would be a violation of federal law as a person to work in the US must be able to complete and I-9. On this lists a persons drivers license, social security card, work visa number etc as two forms of Identification is needed.
There are some areas of the country that has safe zones- meaning identification/work visa is not required but usually in areas of say agricultural areas.

Are you sure that it might be actually people that are here to work on a seasonal/work or school visa?

/edit- adding also that roofers are usually the type of position that those hired must be able to be bonded and insured by the employers. Requirements for that are age requirments, proof of work history in said field, and or 'journey men ' prior insurance.
Contractors

Old 10-14-2015, 08:48 AM

If you leave the state of Maine you will see this everywhere, look closely at the workers on--This Old House-- or go on YouTube and check out the people working on construction site. I don't blame them for coming here.i do hate to see them taking our jobs or dumbing down wages. They have social surcurity cards how they get them I don't know. Only 23% of grammar school kids go on to finish 4 years of college. Out of high school these kids need work. People that never had to work for minimum wages or entry level jobs sometimes dont get this! If I was in the state right now I could go to one of this company's work sites and I'll bet anyone on here$100 I could get a picture of some illegal worker.

Last edited by Bangorboy; 10-14-2015 at 08:52 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 10-14-2015, 09:59 AM

1,199 posts, read 812,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangorboy View Post
If you leave the state of Maine you will see this everywhere, look closely at the workers on--This Old House-- or go on YouTube and check out the people working on construction site. I don't blame them for coming here.i do hate to see them taking our jobs or dumbing down wages. They have social surcurity cards how they get them I don't know. Only 23% of grammar school kids go on to finish 4 years of college. Out of high school these kids need work. People that never had to work for minimum wages or entry level jobs sometimes dont get this! If I was in the state right now I could go to one of this company's work sites and I'll bet anyone on here$100 I could get a picture of some illegal worker.
If they have social security card, then they are either a citizen or they got the social security card after a 'green card' - right to work immigrant.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:12 AM

3,093 posts, read 5,422,768 times
Sometimes they also get a card that doesn't belong to them. Sometimes nobody asks to see a card. Often they are just plain old subcontractors. Not every rule is followed to a "T" in this state.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:59 AM

My brother in law worked for years for a large building supply company in florida that had a truss factory.they all came with a SSCards but they weren't theirs sometimes a lot have the Same card. A S.S. Card is the least of their worries. Next summer I'll take that $100 bet with anyone that wants to lose their money. If this becomes large scale and local people Have a roofing business,painting,or any small business then they will be out bided on any job. The proof is in the pudding like I said I'll take bets!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or