U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 12:56 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,686,811 times

Advertisements

Espresso is on me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 01:04 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post

Espresso is on me!
Yummy! Yummy!

Old 01-31-2008, 01:24 PM

3,936 posts, read 5,446,580 times
There have been some excellent replies here and on other threads. I hope you guys are flooding our elected officials e mails, faxes, and mail boxes with your wonderfully valid points against illegals. I never hear these points being made by any candidates. If asked about illegal immigrations, they squirm, and say the same thing, "Something needs to be done".They need to hear stories from Americans.

Several years ago, (I heard this on talk radio, but I've forgotten who the involved parties were) someone asked one of the congressmen why our government does so much more for illegals who come into America more than our own citizens. The c.man actually said (paraphrasing here) that everyone looks to America for help because we are the land of the free, and a melting pot for all. Our reputation is that we help the world, always have, that we have the resources to help more than anyone else. Our citizens were born here, so they are already have it better than the poorer countries, just by that virtue alone. Even the poorest have it much better than people in many other countries. That was one of the most stupid things I had ever heard. So, its ok that many poor people can't afford to go to the Dr., but still have to pay for the illegals to go, because, after all, the poor people are better off because they were born in this great country? BS!

Old 01-31-2008, 07:20 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica Ewing View Post
Immigrants: They are people first
God created and loved.
They have earnest lives and tragic deaths. How do we treat the undocumented workers in our midst?
With the same compassion and respect we afford other human beings. Some are here to work and return to their home countries, as many do throughout the world. But, if we are fortunate, they will choose to stay, raise their children and make the same contributions all past generations of immigrants have. The presence of brother and sisters from different cultures should be celebrated as a gift. When we enrich each other with our diversity, we become what God envisioned when he told the Israelites: "You too must befriend the alien, for you were once aliens yourselves." Human respect for our fellow man is a much more uplifting human response to immigrants. Immigrants simply want to survive and provide a future for their families. It is so limited and tortuous now that the only solution for so many long-suffering good people who would rather be legal is to become illegal for the sake of there families survival. We need to reestablish hope instead of fear that has become their primary emotion. We need to respect their rich culture and active faith. I will continue to support their human rights. This country holds the promise of a better way of life for most. What impresses me most, in the Hispanic population is their willingness to work hard for the money that they earn. The pride that they demonstrate in the fact that there families come before all else.
Do you have indoor plumbing?
Do you have running water?
Does your home consist of one room with a dirt floor?
Did you get a chance to complete elementary school?
Do you make more than $4.57 a day?

These are the things we in this country take for granted.
We need to promote peace, justice and respect for our immigrant brothers and sisters. Who are in search for a better life.
First of all -- no one said they aren't people. They are people whose citizenship is of another country and they have chosen to break the laws of this country.

Not all have earnest lives. And it is they who turn over their lives and even the lives of their children to evil smugglers and risk the desert and canals in order to break the laws of the USA.

If they have so much to contribute, some need to start contributing to their own homeland -- make it a better place so that millions of people don't HAVE to leave.

And why don't you do some preaching to the elites of those countries sending the most illegals -- for example Catholic Mexico which should start treating it's citizens better and stop dumping them onto the USA.

We cannot just simply take in the whole entire population of Mexico and other Central American countries just because the people of those countries would rather flee than work for reforms. Reform would accomplish a whole lot more than some silly bleeding heart policy of rewarding every lawbreaker with USA citizenship and welfare handouts.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:24 PM

4,135 posts, read 9,115,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica Ewing View Post
Immigrants: They are people first
God created and loved.
They have earnest lives and tragic deaths. How do we treat the undocumented workers in our midst?
With the same compassion and respect we afford other human beings. Some are here to work and return to their home countries, as many do throughout the world. But, if we are fortunate, they will choose to stay, raise their children and make the same contributions all past generations of immigrants have. The presence of brother and sisters from different cultures should be celebrated as a gift. When we enrich each other with our diversity, we become what God envisioned when he told the Israelites: "You too must befriend the alien, for you were once aliens yourselves." Human respect for our fellow man is a much more uplifting human response to immigrants. Immigrants simply want to survive and provide a future for their families. It is so limited and tortuous now that the only solution for so many long-suffering good people who would rather be legal is to become illegal for the sake of there families survival. We need to reestablish hope instead of fear that has become their primary emotion. We need to respect their rich culture and active faith. I will continue to support their human rights. This country holds the promise of a better way of life for most. What impresses me most, in the Hispanic population is their willingness to work hard for the money that they earn. The pride that they demonstrate in the fact that there families come before all else.
Do you have indoor plumbing?
Do you have running water?
Does your home consist of one room with a dirt floor?
Did you get a chance to complete elementary school?
Do you make more than $4.57 a day?

These are the things we in this country take for granted.
We need to promote peace, justice and respect for our immigrant brothers and sisters. Who are in search for a better life.
Monica:
Do you understand that there is actually a process of applying for legal immigration? My family did it, most families did it.... we came, we worked, became citizens, learned English and our families taught us to be Americans.

Go back to reality of why people immigrated and when. Some of my family were Irish farmers. They had no plumbing, water, the houses were thatched roof one-room deals and they made virtually nothing and had no schools except for (possibloy) religion class (in secret). They were persecuted for their religion (RC in a British Ireland). I don't know what the rest from other countries had, but it was bad enough to get here and bring the rest of the family. (**the last immigrant came BEFORE the potato famine; others came from Germany; my husband's family were Quakers who came in the 1600s for religious freedom). All of them came with RESPECT and worked hard.

There is no reason to insinuate we don't respect Hispanics who work hard. (I have family that married in (not my bloodline) who are Hispanic and they came LEGALLY.) What I do not respect is that the majority of the immigrants from south of the border are ILLEGALS. When you break the law to get here, you need to go back. This isn't "human rights" it is LAW. You seem to miss the difference of LEGAL vs. ILLEGAL.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:13 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
Monica:
Do you understand that there is actually a process of applying for legal immigration? My family did it, most families did it.... we came, we worked, became citizens, learned English and our families taught us to be Americans.

Go back to reality of why people immigrated and when. Some of my family were Irish farmers. They had no plumbing, water, the houses were thatched roof one-room deals and they made virtually nothing and had no schools except for (possibloy) religion class (in secret). They were persecuted for their religion (RC in a British Ireland). I don't know what the rest from other countries had, but it was bad enough to get here and bring the rest of the family. (**the last immigrant came BEFORE the potato famine; others came from Germany; my husband's family were Quakers who came in the 1600s for religious freedom). All of them came with RESPECT and worked hard.

There is no reason to insinuate we don't respect Hispanics who work hard. (I have family that married in (not my bloodline) who are Hispanic and they came LEGALLY.) What I do not respect is that the majority of the immigrants from south of the border are ILLEGALS. When you break the law to get here, you need to go back. This isn't "human rights" it is LAW. You seem to miss the difference of LEGAL vs. ILLEGAL.
And to run with your ball further; 'something' changed in Irish culture and that country is every bit as affluent as the USA-------and, dealing with illegal immigration as well.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:27 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,182,276 times
Tell them all to go destroy Canada or other South American countries as we dont want them here.
Them wanting a better life is destroying ours.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:43 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And to run with your ball further; 'something' changed in Irish culture and that country is every bit as affluent as the USA-------and, dealing with illegal immigration as well.
For one -- they didn't keep coming year after year by the millions. It was a fairly short-lived influx and then they stayed home building their own country up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or