Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2015, 06:02 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,625,545 times

Advertisements

'It works': Yuma's fence, manpower make border nearly impenetrable | Fox News

YUMA, Arizona – When Americans think of a secure border, whether they know it or not, they see Yuma, Ariz., and the 20-foot high steel curtain separating it from Mexico.

Beyond the imposing wall is 75 yards of flat, sandy, no man’s land, monitored by cameras and sensors and agents in SUVs. If an illegal immigrant successfully runs that gauntlet, they face another tightly woven steel fence and a third cyclone fence topped by barbed wire“It works,” said Border Patrol Agent Richard Withers. “This is the most secure area of the border. It is pretty hard for a guy to cross here. But they try.”

It wasn’t always this way. In 2005, Yuma was chaos. Pushed out of San Diego by Operation Gatekeeper in the late 1990s, drug and human smugglers targeted San Luis, a sleepy little border town just over the California state line south of Yuma.......snipped.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 05:38 AM

35,660 posts, read 21,025,987 times
The Yuma Sector has managed to significantly reduce crime and illegal border crossings since it increased the number of agents on the border, improved the infrastructure guarding the border and implemented a criminal prosecution initiative known as Operation Streamline, Lowry said.

yes it is true --but what you don"t hear is "CUT GOVT SPENDING -CUT THE # of EMPLOYEES" also the border was overrun by TDY or a tour- of agents from the USA- just there for several months at a time. keep CUTTING the budget- see what happens

Old 10-24-2015, 07:21 PM

27,116 posts, read 15,295,953 times
Budget cuts for what the government is not empowered to do is one thing, spending for what they are charged to do is entirely another matter.

Old 10-25-2015, 06:59 AM

25,932 posts, read 22,083,977 times
A fence is good. I never understood why we didn't man the border with the National Guard. It is task to protect the US from all enemies both domestic and foreign. And, these people are the enemy since they are trying to colonize the US and are draining our public assistance funds and bringing in 3rd world disease.

The border should be heavily manned until the pont that a fence can relieve some of the human support. With all the electronic innvocations of today, we should be able to shut it down to a trickle.

I was horrified when we moved to AZ in 1990 and I realized how many people were coming in illegally. I had called Border Control to ask about it since my son was denied the services he needed in school because of the drain on the education funding of English as a Second Language. I learned so much, all the ins and outs, as I had a long conversation at that time, probably an hour or more of conversation.

What a nightmare and it worse everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration