U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-01-2008, 11:55 AM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 34,366,957 times
Reputation: 4893

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
Wait, most apartments require a deposit and either first and/or last months rent. Who is stiffing who? If anything, those breaking leases are losing money as they wouldn't be refunded their deposit. That is pretty standard in the rental market.
You would find thatm any of the types of rentals related to the illegal population do not have the types of security deposits you mention.

Also - many are already behind on their rent - and they have also "trashed" the dwelling.

The landlord ends up suffering the financial loss - not the tenant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-01-2008, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by User 2 View Post
This article might lend some perspective:





Source: Republic research

Outside Valley, few complaints of illegal hiring (broken link)

This article sheds more light on the effectiveness or lack of effectiveness of LAWA:

Arizona Immigration Law - Arizona Employers Council Inc.
.
..
For the record: I lived in Mohave County (Bullhead City) till 2 years ago; I suspect that many of not most of the Hispanic people there were either US citizens or at least least green card holders.

Note too that Maricopa County holds at least half of the population of the state of Arizona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2008, 12:17 PM
 
1,252 posts, read 726,112 times
Reputation: 107
Quote:
No sanctions complaints to court until March |

Arizona's 15 county prosecutors agreed Wednesday that they won't take any complaints filed under the state's new employer sanctions law to court until March.
No sanctions complaints to court until March | www.tucsoncitizen.com ®
.
..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2008, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 34,366,957 times
Reputation: 4893
Yeah? We have known about this since before the new year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2008, 12:24 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785
Just remember that if the law is stayed (which is probable albeit with some modifications); its penalties will still be retroactive to Jan 1st hence employers really starting to scrutinize SSN's closely as of late.

Besides: just the 'threat' of the Employer Sanctions Law (or a similar bill) gives many businesses a failsafe excuse to lay off excess workers due to our crashing economy here. The illegals have no more rights that any other lawbreakers hence they will not attempt to challenge mass terminations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2008, 12:39 PM
 
1,252 posts, read 726,112 times
Reputation: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
excuse to lay off excess workers due to our crashing economy here.
...crashing economy or LAWA?

Seems the crashing economy is the underlying cause, ....not LAWA.

The 'employers' already have a built in safeguard to skirt LAWA, they can't be prosecuted, or made to pay any penalty if they just file a little paperwork.

LAWA is all image and no substance as far as penalizing 'employers'.

Even if the judges uphold LAWA, the 'employers' are protected...

....that hasn't changed.
.
..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2008, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by User 2 View Post
...crashing economy or LAWA?

Seems the crashing economy is the underlying cause, ....not LAWA.

The 'employers' already have a built in safeguard to skirt LAWA, they can't be prosecuted, or made to pay any penalty if they just file a little paperwork.

LAWA is all image and no substance as far as penalizing 'employers'.

Even if the judges uphold LAWA, the 'employers' are protected...

....that hasn't changed.
.
..
Do you live here in Arizona? If so; please explain the 'E-Verify' stickers popping up in fast food places, etc.

Trust me: the exodus of the illegals has accelerated greatly since after that law was enacted and especially since Jan 1st. of this year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2008, 04:36 PM
 
Location: California
3,432 posts, read 2,158,301 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
You would find thatm any of the types of rentals related to the illegal population do not have the types of security deposits you mention.

Also - many are already behind on their rent - and they have also "trashed" the dwelling.

The landlord ends up suffering the financial loss - not the tenant
Thats untrue, and I won't tell you why. Lets just say I know a certain someone who rents to illegals and asks for deposit no matter what. And about the trashing part.. couldn't be more right. Thats also true for a lot of people, not just illegals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2008, 04:40 PM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,694,959 times
Reputation: 2086
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Thats untrue, and I won't tell you why. Lets just say I know a certain someone who rents to illegals and asks for deposit no matter what. And about the trashing part.. couldn't be more right. Thats also true for a lot of people, not just illegals.
My husband when he was in Phoenix, did rehabs on rentals. 99% of the landlords said the illegals bailed after trashing the place. Most didn't get much in deposits because they knew the illegals didn't have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2008, 04:42 PM
 
Location: California
3,432 posts, read 2,158,301 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
My husband when he was in Phoenix, did rehabs on rentals. 99% of the landlords said the illegals bailed after trashing the place. Most didn't get much in deposits because they knew the illegals didn't have it.
Then why rent to them?!?! Makes no sense at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top