Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 10:36 AM

608 posts, read 1,003,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
Well if they have it so bad maybe it's time for them to start looking for a different line of work....I know several teachers and none of them seem to be hurting from what you call low wages....
You miss my point... let me clarify as I only used teachers as an example. If deportation en mass is possible and occurs, then we as a nation must be prepared in delivering the messages that you and others in this thread have posted. It is easy to say that anyone displace or affected can look for another job. Your assumption is that anyone is interested in just any job.

Everything has a consequence and I think in time we will find out just how complex this immigration issue really is. Immigrants (legal and illegal) depend on jobs and companies/industries providing services to immigrants AND who actually employ US citizens and legal residents depend on immigrants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 12:12 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,510,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
Everything has a consequence...
Yep, and the conseqence for entering the country illegally is deportation.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:47 PM

608 posts, read 1,003,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Yep, and the conseqence for entering the country illegally is deportation.
Stop removing the context of my post. If you are going to reply then answer my question 100% and not 50%. What is your 100% plan once 50% (deportation) has been accomplished?

Old 02-01-2008, 01:18 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,042,453 times
..there's two things going on here.

The school district is under watch for not meeting No Child Left Behind requirements to educate all students.

The school district has been fighting this problem for 4 years.

The article states that Hispanic students have left, they didn't say they were all illegals.

What the school district is accused of is being out of compliance with educating all it's students.

If a significant portion of it's students aren't being served, it's not surprising that their parents would take them out of the school that doesn't educate their children to the same levels as is supposedly required by law.

In attempting to attribute the problem of the school district to 'illegals', there is an attempt to gloss over the underlying problem the school district has suffered for 4 years running.

Last year, the Electrolux plant was raided, (Electrolux got a pass), and they arrested 29 'employees'.

29 people being busted at Electrolux didn't cause every child to leave that district.

Many have left to find a better school.

Attempting to equate that with 'illegals' is just another attempt to lay the blame on a convenient scapegoat and ignores the problems the school district already had.

Nice public relations campaign if you want to blame immigrants for everything, ......but not a comprehensive view of all that is going on.

Out of a district with 10,500 students, 60 formally withdrew, ....only 25 or 30 out of 10,500 aren't fully accounted for.

That's a miniscule percentage of unaccounted students, probably not much different than any other district in the nation.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Stop removing the context of my post.
Why? Would you be happier if I just highlighted the portion I'm responding to?

I'm agreeing with your point that everything has a consequence. Maybe those who choose to cross illegally should consider these consequences.
Quote:
If you are going to reply then answer my question 100% and not 50%. What is your 100% plan once 50% (deportation) has been accomplished?
I disagree that the immigration issue is complex. The economy, on the other hand, is highly complex. One thing is simple enough; the economy will sort itself out, as it always does.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:30 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,504,874 times
Quote:
Could be a problem for teachers and subs that depend on their salaries to support their own families.
This is a silly argument to condone illegal immigration in this country. Please tell me you are joking.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
This is a silly argument to condone illegal immigration in this country. Please tell me you are joking.
I agree. Silly beyond belief.

The next step in following such logic is to prevent Americans from moving out of their current school districts. Think of the poor teachers who will lose their jobs!

Such nonsense can be applied to anything in showing its absurdity.

Fireproof my house? No way! Think of the poor firefighters' jobs.

Diet and exercise? I don't think so. Doctors have families to feed!

Drunk driving should be encouraged! Policemen, lawyers, judges, EMTs and ER staffs depend on it.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:10 PM

18,948 posts, read 43,421,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
SPRINGFIELD, Tenn. - The Robertson County school district faces some problems Friday morning after a recent crackdown on illegal immigration. The illegal immigration crackdown led to the vanishing of 11 percent of Hispanic students.

NewsChannel 5.com Nashville, Tennessee - Hispanic Students Missing From Schools
They probably just went across the state line into a neighboring state. I doubt they went back to where they're originally from.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:49 PM

20,263 posts, read 19,850,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
Well if they have it so bad maybe it's time for them to start looking for a different line of work....I know several teachers and none of them seem to be hurting from what you call low wages....
They certainly aren't hurting in NJ. Their salary/benefit/pension package is the envy of many.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:51 PM

20,263 posts, read 19,850,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
I agree. Silly beyond belief.

The next step in following such logic is to prevent Americans from moving out of their current school districts. Think of the poor teachers who will lose their jobs!

Such nonsense can be applied to anything in showing its absurdity.

Fireproof my house? No way! Think of the poor firefighters' jobs.

Diet and exercise? I don't think so. Doctors have families to feed!

Drunk driving should be encouraged! Policemen, lawyers, judges, EMTs and ER staffs depend on it.

Great points. I needed an excuse to do more on my part to keep Anheuser Busch employees gainfully employed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration