U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 09:41 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Cinco de mayo is not USA culture. It was a victory for the Mexican army. NOT USA.
Plus many Americans could not care less that the Mexican army won that battle and the French lost. Maybe Mexico would have been better off it the French had stayed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 09:42 PM

14,216 posts, read 7,406,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post

It's simply an excuse to drink beer.
precisly
Or sale beer. Who has the cultural rights to that?

Old 01-31-2008, 09:49 PM

21 posts, read 82,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
In fact -- anyone who would claim the USA does not have a culture has not only not traveled outside the USA much at all but also has not talked with immigrants of any kind.

Immigrants will often point out our cultural differences and make those comparisons. When you talk enough with immigrants you also can get an insight into our culture -- but it's kind of like the air we breathe -- something we don't really see or think about, and like breathing air, you don't always appreciate it until you don't have it.
I have traveled outside of the country and what i'm saying is who defines what our culture is? The majority in this country picks and chooses what it wants to be it's culture. Malcolm X is denigrated and Martin is celebrated when they essentially came to the same conclusion at the end of their lives. That is where my beef is. Of course other countries perceive our "culture" but it's a mix and it's not determined by anything but the majority. That's where my problem lies. This country wants to claim what's popular but shun what isn't and that to me isn't true culture. That's selective. The fact people get to claim whatever they want when it's convenient. We love tacos but we hate mexicans?? That's where I'm confused unless they are valuable in some way to defining our image or giving hope to our own American "dreams". It's a superiority thing and it's fake.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:52 PM

21 posts, read 82,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
I was wondering the same thing
All have given eloquent and reasoned responses to the original OP.
Perhaps more than he could "assimilate" in this period of time given
Actually I was watching the debate and talking to my girl. I have things to do other than sit on here and converse but no i'm not running from anybody. Let me set this straight...I'm not foreign by any means. I was born here and have been a student of this society for awhile and what aggravates me is the hypocrisy within this nation. It's fake and I can' lace that up for you in any other way. I laugh like many others outside of this country for what we claim to be.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:02 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,042,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by townin View Post
I have traveled outside of the country and what i'm saying is who defines what our culture is? The majority in this country picks and chooses what it wants to be it's culture. Malcolm X is denigrated and Martin is celebrated when they essentially came to the same conclusion at the end of their lives. That is where my beef is. Of course other countries perceive our "culture" but it's a mix and it's not determined by anything but the majority. That's where my problem lies. This country wants to claim what's popular but shun what isn't and that to me isn't true culture. That's selective. The fact people get to claim whatever they want when it's convenient. We love tacos but we hate mexicans?? That's where I'm confused unless they are valuable in some way to defining our image or giving hope to our own American "dreams". It's a superiority thing and it's fake.
Well how bout this, I explain to you what our culture is NOT: Speaking only Spanish and refusing to learn English, living 20 to a 1 bedroom apt., blasting mariachi music at all hours of the night, making it a point to display another country's flag (Mexico's) on clothing, cars and businesses, accepting middle age men having sex with teenage (sometimes younger) girls, standing outside businesses driving away customers by panhandling for work, and expecting everyone to cater to your prior country's values and language. I, as an American, have every right in the world to be upset by these things and to expect people from other countries to become part of this one, or they can get the hell out. Hope this clears up some of your confusion.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:49 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
As SimpleMan said:

Warts and all; most of us like the USA a hell of a lot better than most other places.

America; Love it or Leave it.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:34 AM

Quote:
You can like to eat tacos without making the entire USA look just as bad as all of Mexico. Does eating eggrolls mean we have to allow every person in China to move in and live just like they did back in China, never bothering to learn a word of English or adapt in any way?

That's just silly to think food and recipes have anything to do with anything.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:37 AM

And what this poster is admitting is that these people moving in now by the millions are not coming to become American or have any interest in learning anything about this country -- they are simply here to take. They are here for the money and the government handouts, but are unwilling to learn a word of English, or learn the history and traditions of the USA.

Instead of immigrants who come to become a part of this nation, we're now to accept the failures of the world and adapt to their cultures and primitive ways of thinking that lead them to failure in the first place.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:02 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,689,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Instead of immigrants who come to become a part of this nation, we're now to accept the failures of the world and adapt to their cultures and primitive ways of thinking that lead them to failure in the first place.
Precisely. So what does that process in turn make the United States of America? The landfill/garbarage scow for any and all third world inhabitants that can manage to illegally slither across our borders?

Hardly fair to the rest of us.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:31 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times
Quote:
The fact people get to claim whatever they want when it's convenient. We love tacos but we hate mexicans?? That's where I'm confused unless they are valuable in some way to defining our image or giving hope to our own American "dreams". It's a superiority thing and it's fake.
I think this is where we disagree. I think the very essence of "our" culture (the culture we 'think' we have, and that we idealize here) has precisely those features you seem to mistrust so much: It's SUPPOSED to be a culture of logical 'likes and dislikes"...we're SUPPOSED to be free to make up our minds and accept (or even ADAPT) "good things", and at the same time feel free to reject (or rid ourselves of) "bad things"...That IS the definition of our culture. We're not "compelled" to "hate" anything, or to "like" anything. Ours is a culture that very much emphasizes freedom of choice. The only HANGUP with this, is that we sometimes have to 'reign in' folks whose 'choices' involve hurting others. THAT stuff, of course, we DO have to limit.

I don't know about anyone "hating Mexicans". I CERTAINLY don't, and hatred is strongly frowned on in our culture. There are certain people whose BEHAVIOR I strongly disapprove of...some of THEM are Mexicans, but most are NOT. But what has that got to do with food? Even if a person HATED MEXICANS (which one is free to do, as long as he doesn't HARM them) why does that mean he can't like Tacos? The person doesn't want to EAT Mexicans, he wants to eat TACOS. I fail to see how you arrived at your conclusion.

We could go to war with Brazil someday, and most Americans would STILL want to drink coffee. Your reasoning is lost on me. Once again, our culture emphasizes free choice and rational thought. We don't "have" to hate--or to like-anyone. We are free to choose. We can LIKE and APPRECIATE black friends and loved ones, while HATING "gangsta-rap" culture...A distaste for country music does NOT mean we "hate" white people.

In many parts of the world, people are NOT free---strong racial, tribal, or societal stigmas "make" them behave in certain ways. Not so, here. We can "hate" the violence of the middle east, yet STILL appreciate a recipe for "date cookies". I see no contradiction in that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration