U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 09:38 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,622,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You can like to eat tacos without making the entire USA look just as bad as all of Mexico. Does eating eggrolls mean we have to allow every person in China to move in and live just like they did back in China, never bothering to learn a word of English or adapt in any way?

That's just silly to think food and recipes have anything to do with anything.
Right you are. I can enjoy eating Brazil nuts without feeling I'm mocking the mentally-impaired folks who happen to live in Sao Paulo. Eating German Chocolate cake does NOT make me a Nazi. And an Irish person wouldn't be disloyal if he sneaked an occasional English muffin. Nor would an Armenian-American have to feel bad about sitting down to a Turkey dinner.

RIDICULOUS !!

Last edited by macmeal; 02-01-2008 at 09:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 11:05 AM

1,861 posts, read 2,969,401 times
As has been seen in many countries, "multiculturalism" does not work.

We want those who WANT to become Americans - being American is a lot of things, and I think most of us just know it and feel it in our hearts. It's hard to describe.

In order to prevent chaos (which we are NOT preventing now), we need people who are interested in our history, who want to learn the language, who want to go by our "ways" - the importance of education, the pride in our freedoms because of our military who put their lives on the line, the importance of being self-reliant, etc.

I don't think these illegals want this. They want to work here, send back money to their home countries, and get all the benefits paid for by the American taxpayers. And, then, they spit in our faces. They are NOT welcome here. Why WOULD we want them in our country? They have no respect for us, the People of America, or for America, our country.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:13 AM

1,719 posts, read 6,032,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And what this poster is admitting is that these people moving in now by the millions are not coming to become American or have any interest in learning anything about this country -- they are simply here to take. They are here for the money and the government handouts, but are unwilling to learn a word of English, or learn the history and traditions of the USA.

Instead of immigrants who come to become a part of this nation, we're now to accept the failures of the world and adapt to their cultures and primitive ways of thinking that lead them to failure in the first place.

I'm quoting you because out of everyone else, your words sound like something I would like to say, but simply can't form right now..

off the top of my head....I want to say things like "I hate that areas of my town have become purely hispanic with signage that omits the english language. A taco stand on every corner, illegal workers hanging out at the Depot and no one cares. It pisses me off that these people have the same "rights" as I do, if not more...and if I say something that isn't politically correct I look like a racist. But these people can "fight the power" and get appraise from such bogus groups like MECHA, and support from mayor "Tony" of Los Angeles"....

see my words come out all over the place...I'm sick of this...people say "oh its good because more recipes, culture, music..."

Well, what about OUR culture and ideas? It is slowly being wiped out and we will soon live in the United States of Mexico.
I couldn't conceive migrating to Mexico illegally by the millions and tell them to learn english and open their minds and out burger stands on every corner.
I'd eat tacos, learn spanish, knock boots with the local hotties, and earn a living.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:21 PM

9,742 posts, read 9,066,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by townin View Post
When people in this country suggest to people, usually foreign or minority, that they should assmilate, I'm always dumbfounded by what is being asked and what that means. What is essentially being asked of those who don't necesarily view themselves as just primarily American citizens? Who is being made to feel comfortable by that assimilation? Why aren't we able to respect the fact that we as humans are both different and complex? Why is a high school concept such as assmilation offered as a way to in fact "remedy" the differences rather than an honest complex investigation and mutual respect amongs those of different heritages and backgrounds? I also ask what is American culture if isn't anything but a combination of "borrowed" traditions and customs (pizza, hip-hop, Washington Redskins,") from other ACTUAL cultures? Is assimilation offered as a simple fix from a simple people?
High school?

Simple people?

And you have the nerve to ask for "mutual respect?"

Old 02-01-2008, 12:26 PM

9,742 posts, read 9,066,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by townin
We love tacos but we hate mexicans??
Now I get it. Yes...I can understand why you're confused.

Tacos are food.
Illegal Mexicans are people.

Tacos don't break any laws.
Illegal Mexicans do.

Tacos don't disrespectfully wave Mexican flags.
Illegal Mexicans do.

And you have the nerve to call us simple people?

Old 02-01-2008, 04:41 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,162,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Tacos don't break any laws.
Illegal Mexicans do.
Actually, if the tacos are litered then it would be breaking the law

Old 02-01-2008, 08:46 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,017,576 times
American culture as it relates to food
Good ole hamburger................
T bone steak and baked potato
Baked turkey with all the trimmings
Fried Chicken....................
Beer stew.................
BBQ Ribs........................
You can have your Taco, chiquita........

Old 02-01-2008, 09:14 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,643,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
American culture as it relates to food
Good ole hamburger................
T bone steak and baked potato
Baked turkey with all the trimmings
Fried Chicken....................
Beer stew.................
BBQ Ribs........................
You can have your Taco, chiquita........
Actually; a lot of the above dishes are Southern American culture.

If one looks at; say, Chinese food here in the USA------it is much different than the real deal offered in China. Our version uses much more meat, etc.

Pizza is a 'Yankee' thing as well------despite it being based on Italian pasta.

Hell: even 'Mexican' food is being classified as Gringo cuisine these days-------a good chimichanga is to die for!

Old 02-01-2008, 09:39 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,162,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Actually; a lot of the above dishes are Southern American culture.

If one looks at; say, Chinese food here in the USA------it is much different than the real deal offered in China. Our version uses much more meat, etc.

Pizza is a 'Yankee' thing as well------despite it being based on Italian pasta.

Hell: even 'Mexican' food is being classified as Gringo cuisine these days-------a good chimichanga is to die for!
After all, what would Taco Bell be without the taco?

Old 02-01-2008, 10:05 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,752,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Even if a person HATED MEXICANS (which one is free to do, as long as he doesn't HARM them) why does that mean he can't like Tacos? The person doesn't want to EAT Mexicans, he wants to eat TACOS. I fail to see how you arrived at your conclusion.
And there are those people who really have no love for Mexican food at all -- is it okay for them to be against amnesty? I have a friend who won't eat much Mexican food at all -- hates the spices, carbohydrates and lard but his wife is from Mexico.

Or if someone thinks English food is bland -- does it follow that they must be racist against British? And someone else could like Chinese people and never wish to eat a dog.

Also -- much of the so-called Mexican food people like is actually food of the SW - USA -- American Indians were making tortillas and growing beans and corn, we really don't need to bring in every last Mexican citizen and convince them all to stay just to eat their food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration