Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 10:07 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Actually; a lot of the above dishes are Southern American culture.

If one looks at; say, Chinese food here in the USA------it is much different than the real deal offered in China. Our version uses much more meat, etc.
But less meat from dogs. I guess that's just our lack of culture that causes us not to enjoy cooking our dogs but preferring to make pets of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 10:07 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,951,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And there are those people who really have no love for Mexican food at all -- is it okay for them to be against amnesty? I have a friend who won't eat much Mexican food at all -- hates the spices, carbohydrates and lard but his wife is from Mexico.

Or if someone thinks English food is bland -- does it follow that they must be racist against British? And someone else could like Chinese people and never wish to eat a dog.

Also -- much of the so-called Mexican food people like is actually food of the SW - USA -- American Indians were making tortillas and growing beans and corn, we really don't need to bring in every last Mexican citizen and convince them all to stay just to eat their food.
Who was the smart a** who deep fried their tortilla?

Old 02-01-2008, 10:12 PM

335 posts, read 1,028,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Actually; Cinco de Mayo is fast becoming the 'Mexican' version of St Patrick's Day------an excuse to party for us Gringos

That holiday is not that significant in Mexico.
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
As has been seen in many countries, "multiculturalism" does not work.

We want those who WANT to become Americans - being American is a lot of things, and I think most of us just know it and feel it in our hearts. It's hard to describe.

In order to prevent chaos (which we are NOT preventing now), we need people who are interested in our history, who want to learn the language, who want to go by our "ways" - the importance of education, the pride in our freedoms because of our military who put their lives on the line, the importance of being self-reliant, etc.

I don't think these illegals want this. They want to work here, send back money to their home countries, and get all the benefits paid for by the American taxpayers. And, then, they spit in our faces. They are NOT welcome here. Why WOULD we want them in our country? They have no respect for us, the People of America, or for America, our country.
With all due respect when was the last time you asked an illegal immigrant what they wanted? And do you even care? Of course assimiliation is key, it is not about respect it is about survival in a foreign country. If I were to move to Mexico, France or any other foreign country and did not speak the language, could I get a job?No!! Would I Have an extremely difficult time getting around i.e finding a place to live, buying anything and asking for assistance? Probably. So in this respect I see a dire need for ALL foreigners who reside here to learn ENGLISH (UNLESS THEY ARE JUST VISITING) But as far as giving up their religion, customs and what makes up their culture? Wouldn't this be the same as living in a dictatorship? Respecting the laws? Of course that is just not even a issue to ponder however aren't we being disrespectful when we state that they must completely forget where they came from? Meaning degrading or inciting hostility by stating that celebrations that they hold dear not be celebrated because they are now here? Holding up to ethics and morals that have been instilled in their homelands will not be tolerated? C'mon folks where do we draw the line? The last time I looked it took many ethnic groups to make the U.S what it is today and they have assimiliated but they have also contributed customs which makes our country fantabulous!

Old 02-01-2008, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Who was the smart a** who deep fried their tortilla?
I don't know -- someone came up with that -- and fried tortillas are more common in the USA than soft tortillas.

And I will say this -- the tortillas you get in the USA really don't compare with the fresh traditional homemade ones you get in Mexico -- like in the market places Maybe we ought to trade Mexicans with Mexico so we can at least have real tortillas.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
I don't know -- someone came up with that -- and fried tortillas are more common in the USA than soft tortillas.

And I will say this -- the tortillas you get in the USA really don't compare with the fresh traditional homemade ones you get in Mexico -- like in the market places Maybe we ought to trade Mexicans with Mexico so we can at least have real tortillas.
Deep fried tortillas= Not Mexican
Burritos= Not Mexican
Fajitas= Not Mexican

The only time hand made tortillas come close to Mexican ones, are the ones made from hand in the "tortilla maker" or what ever you call it. Or "hechas a mano" (made by hand). However, the "masa" quality is quite the difference.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD70 View Post
Agreed

With all due respect when was the last time you asked an illegal immigrant what they wanted? And do you even care?
I have. And to a point I care -- and many illegals when they first arrived really did not intend to stay.

I have to qualify that somewhat -- the illegals who come simply to work, often don't plan to stay forever here. They prefer to get some money so they can get ahead or get their family past some financial crisis and then they want to return home.

What happens though it just becomes too easy to stay longer than they intended and start getting "settled in". They begin to forget their family back home -- often finding new girlfriends that help them forget.

And often when illegals are deported, they try a couple times to get back across the border -- if they don't make it and start running out of money, they go back to where their families live and go back to doing whatever they once did.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:24 PM

I can honestly say, most illegals and Mexicans who are recent immigrants in general are here for the money. After all, who isn't?

Old 02-01-2008, 10:31 PM

And the reason I care to a point is that I believe many illegals would prefer to stay home and in their own culture --- but NAFTA for example has destroyed their means of living back home.

The neo-lib/neo-con planners meant to displace millions of people from their traditional way of life. The neo-lib/neo-cons envision merging of nations, cheap maquila labor and anything not in their plans must be eliminated. There are reasons that the globalist tinkerers desire the relocation of so many people of a country from their homeland and way of life. Destruction of the cultures of both countries -- and some kind of merging for the benefit of the corporations and elitists -- that's what it's about.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
I can honestly say, most illegals and Mexicans who are recent immigrants in general are here for the money. After all, who isn't?
I know of people who had the chance to leave the USA for more money and didn't choose to leave. And for example -- many Americans can go work in Saudi Arabia for very good money -- but they don't wish to remain over there forever just because the money is better.

But yes -- most illegals come for the money and money alone. They aren't coming because they wish to become American, and many have no curiosity of American history or our traditions.

And they come because it's very easy to do so, they aren't required to follow any laws, there are no real consequences for breaking the laws and in fact many have been led to believe they'll soon be rewarded with USA citizenship just for breaking our laws.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:36 PM

335 posts, read 1,028,980 times
Quote:
I have. And to a point I care -- and many illegals when they first arrived really did not intend to stay.

I have to qualify that somewhat -- the illegals who come simply to work, often don't plan to stay forever here. They prefer to get some money so they can get ahead or get their family past some financial crisis and then they want to return home.

What happens though it just becomes too easy to stay longer than they intended and start getting "settled in". They begin to forget their family back home -- often finding new girlfriends that help them forget.

And often when illegals are deported, they try a couple times to get back across the border -- if they don't make it and start running out of money, they go back to where their families live and go back to doing whatever they once did.
Agreed. However not to seem daft but how did you speak to them? Do you speak Spanish? Hey it is a legit Q. And to make my position clear I am against these types of illegal immigrants. IMO if you plan to stay then you like everybody else needs to follow protocol and procedures.

Quote:
Agreed also! However are we going to put the burden on Illegal immigrants? People will do what you allow them to do. If there wasn't a need there would not be such a huge influx every single day! I blame the greed of Corporations and private businesses! Isn't about time we put the blame where it belongs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration