U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2008, 01:48 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,617,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Are trying to give a history lesson? This topic has to do with today+ not the historical past.
Pretty hard to discuss the present, without mentioning the past. Just about impossible, I'd say.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:34 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Actually, the only ones who certainly did a good job of killing off the indians to run them off their land were the English. The Spanish treated them as people for the most part, or as they called them, hijos de dios. (children of God).
Yes and no.

Even today; in all Latin American countries those Hispanics who are of mostly Euro White heritage tend to be the elite whereas the Mestizos and especially the Indian ones are lower down the socio-economic food chain.

Old 08-25-2008, 04:23 PM

1,417 posts, read 852,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Yes and no.

Even today; in all Latin American countries those Hispanics who are of mostly Euro White heritage tend to be the elite whereas the Mestizos and especially the Indian ones are lower down the socio-economic food chain.
While that may be true I wasn't inquiring about the Mestizos. I'm inquiring on how the Spaniards treated the indians. The Spanish saw them as people who needed to hear the word of God. However, that does not negate the fact that the Spanish indeed did commit atrocities towards the indians.

Old 08-25-2008, 04:42 PM

7,922 posts, read 7,620,377 times
McCain has said that one of the first things he will do if Elected President is to Build the wall and Seal the Border. What people don't understand is that he is Sealing the Border to Keep the Illegals IN not keep them out. He WILL grant Amnesty just like his Hero Reagan.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:15 PM

3,074 posts, read 3,336,948 times
geeoro - what makes you say this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
McCain has said that one of the first things he will do if Elected President is to Build the wall and Seal the Border. What people don't understand is that he is Sealing the Border to Keep the Illegals IN not keep them out. He WILL grant Amnesty just like his Hero Reagan.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:06 PM

1,417 posts, read 852,550 times
2003 "amnesty" didn't mean rewarding illegal behavior

Q: Mitt Romney says in a TV ad, "McCain supported this year's amnesty bill. Amnesty for illegals: that's straight talk for being in Washington too long." You said back in 2003. "I think we can set up a program where amnesty is extended to a certain number of people who are eligible. Amnesty has to be an important part because there are people who have lived in this country for 20, 30 or 40 years, who have raised children here, paid taxes here and are not citizens. That has to be a component of it." A: Look, I have said time after time that no one can be reward for illegal behavior. The context of that conversation, don't you call that "amnesty." I have said in hundreds of hours of debate on the Senate floor, we reward no one for illegal behavior They have to pay fines. They have to take the naturalization. About two million people here in this country who have come illegally, have committed crimes here in America, and they have to be deported immediately.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:36 PM

6,011 posts, read 6,728,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
John McCain's Hispanic outreach director [1] is Juan Hernandez, a U.S.-Mexico dual citizen and former Mexican government official who said the following in 2001 about Mexican immigrants to the U.S.:
"I want the third generation, the seventh generation, I want them all to think 'Mexico first.'"

http://24ahead.com/blog/archives/007421.html

Old 08-26-2008, 12:45 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
John McCain's Hispanic outreach director [1] is Juan Hernandez, a U.S.-Mexico dual citizen and former Mexican government official who said the following in 2001 about Mexican immigrants to the U.S.:
"I want the third generation, the seventh generation, I want them all to think 'Mexico first.'"

Ask John McCain about his Hispanic outreach director, Juan Hernandez (former Mexican government official)
Mexico, Missouri?

All joking aside: let the MEChA types hold onto their fairy tale of 'reconquista'------when Mexico (the country) devolves to the USA one state at a time. Which of course would be the death of most aspects of Hispanic culture-----including the widespread use of Spanish.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:46 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,711,852 times
Quote:

Ask John McCain about his Hispanic outreach director, Juan Hernandez (former Mexican government official)
Oh yeah, that's right! I'd forgotten about Juan. Don't seem to hear too much from him lately. McCain probably has him tied to a chair with his mouth taped shut.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:50 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,816,809 times
Quote:

Juan, if you want them to think "Mexico first" -- they are more than welcome to do it in Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or