Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 12:39 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,899,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I guess the wages you restaurant people pay ain't high enough. Word is In N Out Burger pays some serious wages, has all Americans or legal aliens there AND their food's cheap.
Yes, you can do that when you sell millions of burgers everyday. The small mom and pop restaurants can't do that. I pay all my employees $9/hour plus a tip pool, which is good for food industry employees, especially in my area. Hold on a sec while I open 800 more restaurants...
We are expected to make the same profits while making 1/3 the revenues.

How do you know In and Out Burger has all legal workers? Again, it's incredibly easy to keep employees off the books, whether they are legal or not. I worked at a Pizza Hut that did that. They had 2 illegal employees... both cooks, and they had a handicapped women who washed dishes. She had worked there for 15 years!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 02:20 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,609,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
^^^This. As such, he is out of touch with other parts of the country where the "locals" aren't too rich to wash dishes for a paycheck.

Anyone arguing that the influx of millions of cheap laborers hasn't had any impact on wages for those types of jobs is likely seriously lacking in cultural and geographic diversity in their experiences.

I have to wonder how many posters thinking Bourdain is mostly right have ever lived in a rural or even low cost of living area....or worked a low paying manual labor job.

Bourdain is only correct for his little pocket of life and if you look at his age (almost 60) biography etc. it's clear he's pretty much been in high income pockets of the northeast for close to the last 40 years (or more).

He has an extreme lack of diversity to be weighing in on the topic.
Yes, Bourdain's father was a music industry executive. He grew up in comfort.

If the restaurant industry cannot survive without illegals, then there is something wrong with the industry. Do other countries have to import illegals to keep their restaurants running?

Old 11-06-2015, 02:22 PM

62,949 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I've owned a restaurant for 2 years, and worked in restaurants longer, and I can say the same thing. I've never had an American kid apply or want to work those jobs. All they want to be is delivery drivers, occasionally waitstaff, or some sort of manager... Of course I have people doing those already. So I don't think Bourdain is wrong at all. When we finally do get Americans to work, they might last a month at best, we went through 7 employees in 3 months one time... and I only have 3 employees total! Americans don't have good work ethics and the one's that do, aren't working jobs like dishwashers or busboys. Who with a proper education and good work ethic wants to make $15,000-20,000/year? If you are an American and you are at the bottom, I'd bet money that person is lazy and has a bad work ethic. Mike Rowe has been saying similar things for years, and he is normally praised by conservatives, but once Bourdain, who leans liberal, says anything, watch out! I owned a lawn care business years ago and I had the exact same problems. The younger generations are getting worse and worse, it's a sad state, but it's true. The restaurant industry, which is already incredibly competitive will get worse.

I support E-verify, but anyone who thinks that will solve the majority of problems is mistaken. You know how easy it is to have an employee off the books, that's what they are doing anyway, E-verify can't change that.
Nonsense! I know plenty of Americans both young and adults that work hard and the unemployed are seeking work also. This is just a greedy employers excuse to hire illegal aliens. E-verify will solve much of the problem. Most employers will not take a chance and hire illegal aliens off the books or otherwise with stiff fines and jail sentences in place for non-compliance. Sick of these lame and lying excuses that employers can't find hard working Americans to do most any job in this country.

Old 11-06-2015, 02:48 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
I don't care even if illegals will work cheaper and harder and take more crap from their employers. Business like having desperate peasants and near slaves. What else is new? But when they lie and say they must illegal worker pool instead of meeting the legal worker market demands, then we have a problem. I want these business put out of business.

Old 11-06-2015, 03:14 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I don't care even if illegals will work cheaper and harder and take more crap from their employers. Business like having desperate peasants and near slaves. What else is new? But when they lie and say they must illegal worker pool instead of meeting the legal worker market demands, then we have a problem. I want these business put out of business.
Agreed. There are lots of places to eat and, in areas were there ain't that many restaurants, so they have to raise their prices a bit to pay for legal hired help. It is what it is.

Old 11-06-2015, 03:23 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Agreed. There are lots of places to eat and, in areas were there ain't that many restaurants, so they have to raise their prices a bit to pay for legal hired help. It is what it is.
I doubt any business passes any savings they get on to the consumer anyway. It's all based on lies. Business owners who insist on having access to desperate illegal workers besides being motivated by greed and power our motivated by envy and classism. They want to put Americans out of work and in poverty. I don't spend my money at businesses that use illegal labor.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:13 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I've owned a restaurant for 2 years, and worked in restaurants longer, and I can say the same thing. I've never had an American kid apply or want to work those jobs. All they want to be is delivery drivers, occasionally waitstaff, or some sort of manager... Of course I have people doing those already. So I don't think Bourdain is wrong at all. When we finally do get Americans to work, they might last a month at best, we went through 7 employees in 3 months one time... and I only have 3 employees total! Americans don't have good work ethics and the one's that do, aren't working jobs like dishwashers or busboys. Who with a proper education and good work ethic wants to make $15,000-20,000/year? If you are an American and you are at the bottom, I'd bet money that person is lazy and has a bad work ethic. Mike Rowe has been saying similar things for years, and he is normally praised by conservatives, but once Bourdain, who leans liberal, says anything, watch out! I owned a lawn care business years ago and I had the exact same problems. The younger generations are getting worse and worse, it's a sad state, but it's true. The restaurant industry, which is already incredibly competitive will get worse.

I support E-verify, but anyone who thinks that will solve the majority of problems is mistaken. You know how easy it is to have an employee off the books, that's what they are doing anyway, E-verify can't change that.
So, are you admitting to hiring illegals to work in your restaurant?

You must have missed my post in this thread where I addressed this topic. See post #11. Funny how a chain restaurant in NYC that uses E-verify has no problems finding American citizens and legal immigrants to take their jobs---even the back of the house ones.

Yet, you claim to not being able to find Americans and legal immigrants to do those jobs. You must not be doing something right.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:50 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,849,616 times
Bourdain is a Liberal. Of course he said what he said. He also is defending the profitability of restaurants. Only restaurants that hire illegal aliens will be hurt. Restaurants that comply with labor laws have absolutely nothing to worry about. Actually, if restaurants that violate the labor laws had to close their doors it would be a dream come true for the restaurants that comply with the labor laws. The restaurant industry is too saturated as it is. The restaurant industry is a big employer. If restaurants had to terminate illegal aliens there are many people unemployed and there are many people on welfare that are available to work. It would not be the end of the world as Mr. Bourdain claims it would be for the industry.

Lastly, if the restaurant industry only exists because of illegal aliens/cheap labor then we are in more trouble than I thought.

-Cheers.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:57 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
So, are you admitting to hiring illegals to work in your restaurant?

You must have missed my post in this thread where I addressed this topic. See post #11. Funny how a chain restaurant in NYC that uses E-verify has no problems finding American citizens and legal immigrants to take their jobs---even the back of the house ones.

Yet, you claim to not being able to find Americans and legal immigrants to do those jobs. You must not be doing something right.

You my friend are always right!

Old 11-10-2015, 06:25 AM

899 posts, read 1,015,552 times
Quote:
I don't think much of Mr Bourdain: he's an arrogant POS snob IMHO.
I think you're mixing Bourdain and Trump up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration