U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 08:24 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,658,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
It figures that a nonsensical rant like that would quote the WaPo. It sounds to me like User2 thinks that an 'American culture' is passe and has no place in the 21st Century 'global village'. I hate to be the bearer of bad news User2, but the result of your 'New Utopia' will be the complete destruction of the middle class and will destroy ANY chance of anyone rising above the level of 'cog' in the New World Order machine.

Is that the future you want to bequeath to your grandchildren???
Consider the source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 09:43 PM

474 posts, read 527,347 times
Guy Pinestra: Would it be stretching it a bit to say that the preview of what our culture would like and remain is described in the Federal Constitution? Our first flag was not made by Betsy Ross. It was the first formal flag. The first flag was sewn on the battle field during the Revolutionary War. The colonists realized in the midst of battle that they had no banner, no flag. So they took a captured enemy flag, dismantled it and used the pieces to make a flag that "grew" into our present day flag. This flag, together with other battle flags are ensconced in the Rotunda of the Massachusetts State House. A mural in the rotunda states, over a mural depicting the ocean journey of the pilgrims, "The Lord is Our Defense, the Holy One in Israel is our King." Oh my goodness, that's religious in nature, isn't it." On the opposite wall is another mural, memorializing John Elliot, a missionary, teaching the Algonquinn Native Americans, to read and write English. They believed that if the Native Americans could learn the English language, they would not be victimized by others. His only teaching tool was the Bible. Oh my goodness! The Massachusetts Constitution, the oldest continuouis serving constitution in the world, barring none, begins with a preamble that refers to God as the Great Legislator. Harvard College is the oldest religious college and university in the Country. Come home to Massachusetts, learn your history. I am sure that God to each of us may seem different but the thought that a Higher Power exists is a lot better than placing our future in the hands of human beings who think they are God. Sorry to rant but I love American History and much of it started in the state of my birth. My brothers and I always marveled at the brilliance of our parents who left their small village in Italy, walked to the point of embarkation, arrived at Ellis Island on April 25, 1925, became citizens, their four sons served in WWarII, Korea and Vietnam. I disagree, culture is static, people and faces change, but the American Dream is constant. our Constitituion although a living document, keeps us all equal. The only inequality is allowing the undocumented to live outside of its purview. The 14th amendment does not allow "all persons" from all over the world to enter undocumented, it states very clearly, all persons under our jurisdiction and that includes anchor babies. The mother is an undocumented alien under the jurisdiction of another country and the anchor baby, an unemancipated minor belongs to her and her mother country....across the border.enough.....I digress.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:46 PM

4,763 posts, read 7,553,899 times
I don't care what your party affiliation is, Pat Buchanan is almost always hit-the-nail-on-the-head, 100% correct. His assertations about what is happening to our country are true. Instead, on many talk show etc., that I see him on, he is marginalized and treated as if he is some kind of racist nut, sort of like the way they treat Ron Paul. Those in power are AFRAID of these people, because they speak the truth, and if more American people woke up and actually listened to them and began to take action, they would be toppled off their greedy fat asses, right off of their comfortable positions of powers.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:07 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,177,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
I don't care what your party affiliation is, Pat Buchanan is almost always hit-the-nail-on-the-head, 100% correct. His assertations about what is happening to our country are true. Instead, on many talk show etc., that I see him on, he is marginalized and treated as if he is some kind of racist nut, sort of like the way they treat Ron Paul. Those in power are AFRAID of these people, because they speak the truth, and if more American people woke up and actually listened to them and began to take action, they would be toppled off their greedy fat asses, right off of their comfortable positions of powers.
Now that is a 'hit the nail on the head' comment!!!

Old 02-05-2008, 04:20 AM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 737,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faith10 View Post
Please stop talking about the past, you were not there. Please talk only about the here and now and what you have seen yourself. That will limit your words here no doubt.
+rep

It's the same tired canards over and over from Prologic. There is absolutely no record in the past of previous immigrants doing the level of damage being currently done by those of today. Many of yesterday's immigrants were poor, but they did bnot pull the rest of society down to a substantially lower standard of life accross class lines.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:23 AM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 737,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendly blogger View Post
Faith10: SOMEONE SAID, ' A NATION THAT DOES NOT RESPECT ITS PAST, CANNOT PLAN FOR ITS FUTURE." SOMEONE ELSE SAID, " IF YOU DO NOT RESPECT YOUR PAST, YOU ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT." AND OUR TOWN HISTORIAN, SAID, " WAR IS EVIL, IT IS INTRINSICALLY EVIL, BUT AS LONG AS THERE ARE EVIL PEOPLE IN THE WORLD, THEN GOOD PEOPLE SHOULD BE PREPARED." STAND WITH US, OR WE WILL BE DIVIDED. THE FEDERALIST PAPERS SPEAK OF FACTIONS AND THAT IS WHAT IS DESTROYING AMERICA. THE ILLEGALS DO NOT INTEGRATE, LEARN OUR CULTURE, SPEAK OUR LANGUAGE OR RESPECT THE RULE OF LAW. THEODORE ROOSEVELT SAID IT BETTER, ' ONE FLAG, ONE CULTURE, ONE COMMON LANGUAGE, ENGLISH. fAITH10, WOULD YOU WANT MEDICAL PERSONNEL AROUND A SURGICAL TABLE, WITH YOU ON IT, SPEAKING DIFFERENT LANGUAGES WITH NO COMMON ONE? REMEMBER THE LESSON IN THE 'TOWER OF BABEL' BINLE READING? OR DID I COMMIT A FAUX PAUX BY MENTIONING SOMETHING RELIGIOUS? COME ON FAITH, A NAME WITH GREAT MEANING, INCLUDES FAITH IN WHAT MADE AMERICA GREAT....THE RULE OF LAW.
Someone else said, "Please observe your keyboard has a [Caps Lock] key -- use it appropriately."

Old 02-05-2008, 09:08 AM

18,980 posts, read 21,969,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
Just for record "culture" is not static. People learn culture it is not genetic. Sure we can try to shape and maintain a specific culture but eventually it will change. I know someone said let's only talk about the here and now but we got to the now but our ever changing culture. The Romans, Greeks, Normans, etc. have invaded other societies and influenced or even changed the culture of those societies. The culture we know today in the United States is not the same culture of those 50, 100, or 200 years ago. The problem people have is when culture changes too fast or shocks the current cultural system and conflicts with their core values. Core values are not culture but a subset of culture and specific to those who share them... religious, ethnic, familial, etc.

Let's face it, we can slow the pace of a changing culture but we can never stop it. Each generation (baby boomer's, X, Y, etc.) will have its own culture.
Very true.

Ken

Old 02-05-2008, 10:14 AM

1,861 posts, read 2,970,350 times
The liberal elites like to think that we have no "culture" of our own - that we can just change because someone coming in (illegally, to boot) wants something different. I think these elites have NO clue about what it's like to actually live in a so-called "multicultural" neighborhood. They have their mansions far away from anyone who actually has to live with the problems that are produced by illegal immigration. They don't deal with the gangs, they don't deal with living next door to a flop-house that used to be a nice family house, they don't deal with jobs being taken away by people who send the money back home and don't pay their share of taxes-yet get benefits, etc.

TOO BAD. We DO have a history, a culture, a set of values, laws, traditions. So-called "multiculturalism" can only go so far - accepting people from all over the world legally which we do, appreciating THEIR culture but not allowing it to take over ours, and allowing these people to become true Americans, who actually love this country as much as we do.

Multiculturalism is NOT letting people come in illegally, bite the hand that feeds them, and then spit in our faces and demand their "rights". THAT is not what it's all about. But, these rich elites (like all those silly movie "stars" that open their mouths in public) have NO clue because they are rich, and can live life any way they want, unlike the rest of us.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:18 PM

1,252 posts, read 728,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthMother1951 View Post
BTW, Buchanan has never been a liberatarian. he has always been an old style conservative. Please know the meaning of words before you use them.
By the way?

The meaning of words?

I didn't say Buchanan was a libertarian, I said he had libertarian leanings.

I'm fully aware he identifies himself as a paleo-conservative, but that doesn't explain all his positions.

If you know the meaning of words, you'll recognize he frequently has promoted a libertarian-based foreign policy agenda.

I used the exact word I meant to use.

When Libertarian Party founder Murray Rothbard supports Pat Buchanan, one isn't wrong to suggest Buchanan favors some libertarian ideals.

When Buchanan got the backing of the Reform Party, he again found himself espousing libertarian ideals. He didn't get the backing of all libertarians, but that doesn't mean Buchanan doesn't share some foreign policy proposals that agree with libertarian principle.

When Buchanan openly endorses Ron Paul one could also correctly assign some libertarian leaning to Buchanan.

As you can see, when I used the words libertarian leaning, I meant exactly what I said.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:34 PM

1,252 posts, read 728,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
It figures that a nonsensical rant like that would quote the WaPo. It sounds to me like User2 thinks that an 'American culture' is passe and has no place in the 21st Century 'global village'. I hate to be the bearer of bad news User2, but the result of your 'New Utopia' will be the complete destruction of the middle class and will destroy ANY chance of anyone rising above the level of 'cog' in the New World Order machine.

Is that the future you want to bequeath to your grandchildren???
Speaking of non-sensical......

I said nothing about your undefined 'American culture', (whatever you might think that means).

I didn't reference any '21rst Century 'global village', or make claims to expect a 'New Utopia'.

Your suppositions about 'complete destruction' of the middle class and 'destroying ANY chance of anyone rising above the level of 'cog' in the New World Order machine are nothing more than constructs of your own imagination.

I do stand by what I did say though, and that is that the next generation doesn't harbor many of the prejudices and bias of the older generation.

They aren't basing their political decisions on a need to preserve a status quo they don't believe in and that makes much of the argument of the likes of Buchanan meaningless.

Buchanan's wailing about the loss of what he sees as the correct ideal doesn't appeal to the next generation of voters.

You can bemoan the fact that change won't include preservation of the status quo, but all you'll be doing is exercising your right to complain about it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration