U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 12:49 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,714,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Consider the source.
Just put him on 'ignore' like everybody else does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 12:57 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,176,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by User 2 View Post
Speaking of non-sensical......

I said nothing about your undefined 'American culture', (whatever you might think that means).

I didn't reference any '21rst Century 'global village', or make claims to expect a 'New Utopia'.

Your suppositions about 'complete destruction' of the middle class and 'destroying ANY chance of anyone rising above the level of 'cog' in the New World Order machine are nothing more than constructs of your own imagination.

I do stand by what I did say though, and that is that the next generation doesn't harbor many of the prejudices and bias of the older generation.

They aren't basing their political decisions on a need to preserve a status quo they don't believe in and that makes much of the argument of the likes of Buchanan meaningless.

Buchanan's wailing about the loss of what he sees as the correct ideal doesn't appeal to the next generation of voters.

You can bemoan the fact that change won't include preservation of the status quo, but all you'll be doing is exercising your right to complain about it.
It should be obvious that I said 'thinks', not 'said', but feel free to misread at your leisure. The tone of the WaPo article as well as that of your post led me to believe those things I said, as does the tone of your response. You seem to think that Pat Buchanan, conservatives, American culture (sorry you don't know what that is, open a pre-70's history book) and national sovereignty are dinosaurs and deserve their eventual extinction.

While that may indeed come to pass, it won't happen without a fight. I'll continue to do what I can to slam on the brakes in this race to the bottom.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:14 PM

1,252 posts, read 727,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
....... this race to the bottom.
Look around, ....we've hit bottom, and it was 'conservatives' who led us there.

The 'race' now is to climb back off the bottom,

...and another generation will do that, and they'll do it without Buchanan.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:19 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,162,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Lombards View Post
+rep

It's the same tired canards over and over from Prologic. There is absolutely no record in the past of previous immigrants doing the level of damage being currently done by those of today. Many of yesterday's immigrants were poor, but they did bnot pull the rest of society down to a substantially lower standard of life accross class lines.
Than obviously you should take another U.S History class.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:49 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,622,827 times
Our society is suffering a deep malaise from top to bottom. Public morality is in a downward spiral, social consciousness is weakening, there is little sense of obligation or duty, nor is any loyalty required. WE can't define what an American is, and we can't name any obligation that "the rich" have toward society, or toward the poor. We no longer judge the rightness or wrongness of our leaders' behavior, and we no longer judge MOST behavior at ALL.

Illegal Immigration is one symptom of this situation. The "bonds" of our society are disintegrating, business is no longer morally obligated to provide for workers; workers are no longer morally obligated to give an "honest day's work", and it's become simply a matter of 'bidding".....and the illegal immgrants are making the 'low bid'---they get the jobs, in the absence of any other factors...

Old 02-05-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Our society is suffering a deep malaise from top to bottom. Public morality is in a downward spiral, social consciousness is weakening, there is little sense of obligation or duty, nor is any loyalty required. WE can't define what an American is, and we can't name any obligation that "the rich" have toward society, or toward the poor. We no longer judge the rightness or wrongness of our leaders' behavior, and we no longer judge MOST behavior at ALL.

Illegal Immigration is one symptom of this situation. The "bonds" of our society are disintegrating, business is no longer morally obligated to provide for workers; workers are no longer morally obligated to give an "honest day's work", and it's become simply a matter of 'bidding".....and the illegal immgrants are making the 'low bid'---they get the jobs, in the absence of any other factors...
We?

Speak for yourself.

I have a good idea why we are where we are today,

.....and I have a good idea of who led us there.

I know who sets the examples, ..who set policies, and who pays nothing but only 'lip service' to being moral or just.

The malaise you speak of is a malaise easily identified,

...but those who supported it don't care to take responsibility for it's failure.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
We?

Speak for yourself.

I have a good idea why we are where we are today,

.....and I have a good idea of who led us there.

I know who sets the examples, ..who set policies, and who pays nothing but only 'lip service' to being moral or just.

The malaise you speak of is a malaise easily identified,

...but those who supported it don't care to take responsibility for it's failure.
Sorry---when I sent all those troops to Iraq, and I hired all those illegals, and I encouraged all those couples to divorce, and when I wrote all those scripts for all those violent gangsta-rap songs and peddled them to all those Junior High students, I simply ASSUMED you were there with me. My mistake.

OK, "America, EXCEPT FOR USER 2, is suffering a deep malaise. It's everyone's fault, except User 2's."....

Sorry for assuming.....you're 'off the hook'..my apologies...

Old 02-05-2008, 10:27 PM

Default Easy on the Mansion-Dwellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
The liberal elites like to think that we have no "culture" of our own - that we can just change because someone coming in (illegally, to boot) wants something different. I think these elites have NO clue about what it's like to actually live in a so-called "multicultural" neighborhood. They have their mansions far away from anyone who actually has to live with the problems that are produced by illegal immigration.

You're being a little harsh on these folks in their mansions--many are perfectly willing to expose themselves to other cultures....The culture of their gardener, the culture of their nanny, the culture of their maid, and the culture of the wonderfully talented fellow who built the EXQUISITE wrought-iron gate which secures the street leading into their neighborhood. (Cultures are FINE in the daytime, but you might want to keep that gate closed, to keep the different 'cultures' out of the neighborhood after dark)..Luckily, they ALSO have the nice little immigrant fellow willing to man the 'gate house' all night, in case legitimate "guests" need to enter the neighborhood. He has a uniform, and his culture makes him very LOYAL.

How can you SAY that these mansion-dwelling liberals don't like other 'cultures'.? They feel that EVERY famly should employ a NUMBER of other cultures. They're interesting, and they're VERY affordable (some become ALMOST like 'family')!!

Old 02-05-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Sorry---when I sent all those troops to Iraq, and I hired all those illegals, and I encouraged all those couples to divorce, and when I wrote all those scripts for all those violent gangsta-rap songs and peddled them to all those Junior High students, I simply ASSUMED you were there with me. My mistake.

OK, "America, EXCEPT FOR USER 2, is suffering a deep malaise. It's everyone's fault, except User 2's."....

Sorry for assuming.....you're 'off the hook'..my apologies...
I guess that's one way you can continue to divert attention from actually facing what's led to where we're at.

You can make some childish attempt through rhetorical elipses and obfuscations to attempt to extricate yourself from having any need to confront what was said.

It's all a game of one-upmanship.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:13 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,043,693 times
Quote:
I guess that's one way you can continue to divert attention from actually facing what's led to where we're at.

You can make some childish attempt through rhetorical elipses and obfuscations to attempt to extricate yourself from having any need to confront what was said.

It's all a game of one-upmanship.

What's sad is that you actually believe that ALL this country's problems are the fault of Republicans, and that Democrats and liberals have no blame in any of it. Liberals and Democrats are saints who will lead the world back to peace and harmony.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration