Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 08:12 AM

5,701 posts, read 3,221,735 times

Advertisements

Often times leftists will respond to pro-border arguments with something like this:

"We are all immigrants so why do you want to slam the door on them after you got here?"

This argument makes no sense. The U.S. has only become the sole superpower relatively recently. There was more of a risk in coming here in the past. You weren't just hopping on the welfare train.

It would be like me turning down a job at a start-up because it was too risky and I didn't want to take the chance and help build the company, but then years later when they are a huge success I ask for a job there and get rejected. Nobody would claim there's anything wrong or unjust with that.

We should be proud to slam the door loudly on immigrants.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:09 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Often times leftists will respond to pro-border arguments with something like this:

"We are all immigrants so why do you want to slam the door on them after you got here?"

This argument makes no sense. The U.S. has only become the sole superpower relatively recently. There was more of a risk in coming here in the past. You weren't just hopping on the welfare train.

It would be like me turning down a job at a start-up because it was too risky and I didn't want to take the chance and help build the company, but then years later when they are a huge success I ask for a job there and get rejected. Nobody would claim there's anything wrong or unjust with that.

We should be proud to slam the door loudly on immigrants.
Agreed. Canada is the same way as the US but few people rag on Canada on how it treats its illegal aliens.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:49 AM

424 posts, read 467,853 times
White guilt. Votes.

Old 11-28-2015, 01:21 PM

254 posts, read 145,916 times
Pathological altruism.

Old 11-28-2015, 01:50 PM

2,141 posts, read 1,387,326 times
Because they only want more votes for their party.

Old 11-28-2015, 11:11 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,659,695 times
It's just more blathering for the uninformed...

"We're a nation of immigrants!"

Which nation is not? Has there ever been a case of people simply sprouting out of the ground?

There is no reason for American middle and lower income earners to want more people here, keeping wages stagnant or even depressing them.

For example, decades ago African-Americans in Los Angeles made a decent income working in dry walling and meat packing, but now that those jobs have been taken mostly by immigrants, the pay is minimal and cannot sustain a family.

It makes no sense whatsoever to allow more people to come here and further devalue middle and lower income labor, because even if you're a business owner, the long term effects of a Malthusian dystopia are not worth the short term gain.

Old 11-28-2015, 11:26 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,995,014 times
The elitist leftists live in their ivory towers that are in either gated communities or doorman buildings. They have no clue as to how bad illegal immigration has been to this country as they never have seen it first hand. So, when people try to tell them what is going on, the leftists laugh and them and engage in name-calling. It shows just how out of touch they are.

Old 11-29-2015, 07:41 AM

62,944 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
The elitist leftists live in their ivory towers that are in either gated communities or doorman buildings. They have no clue as to how bad illegal immigration has been to this country as they never have seen it first hand. So, when people try to tell them what is going on, the leftists laugh and them and engage in name-calling. It shows just how out of touch they are.

There are also bleeding heart Americans who aren't elitists who just think with emotion rather than common sense. I know, I have several family members who are like that. I just shake my head in disbelief. One even said our border is only a line in the sand and that it's not their fault that these "immigrants" were born elsewhere so it's our duty to take in the world's poor. I had to just leave the room on that one before I blew a gasket.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:41 AM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,978,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
It's just more blathering for the uninformed...

"We're a nation of immigrants!"

Which nation is not? Has there ever been a case of people simply sprouting out of the ground?

There is no reason for American middle and lower income earners to want more people here, keeping wages stagnant or even depressing them.

For example, decades ago African-Americans in Los Angeles made a decent income working in dry walling and meat packing, but now that those jobs have been taken mostly by immigrants, the pay is minimal and cannot sustain a family.

It makes no sense whatsoever to allow more people to come here and further devalue middle and lower income labor, because even if you're a business owner, the long term effects of a Malthusian dystopia are not worth the short term gain.
Large swaths of the U.S. population have been tamed and domesticated by deliberately delivering their jobs to newcomers, then feeding them peanuts and bales of hay that they come to expect at the expense of a besieged middle class--a tier that the left has always hated.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:46 AM

22,472 posts, read 11,995,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
There are also bleeding heart Americans who aren't elitists who just think with emotion rather than common sense. I know, I have several family members who are like that. I just shake my head in disbelief. One even said our border is only a line in the sand and that it's not their fault that these "immigrants" were born elsewhere so it's our duty to take in the world's poor. I had to just leave the room on that one before I blew a gasket.
Good point, Oldglory! I, too, have some relatives (on both sides of my family) who think like that. And I agree---sometimes you just have to bite your tongue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration