U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2015, 02:19 AM

4,538 posts, read 1,950,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down in a Hole View Post
Wow, I read every single response here, and there is one thing that rings true, and that is that you people have never taken a political science class..like ever.

The 1st amendment is to protect your freedom of speech so that the government cannot retaliate against us, and yes you can say things in public, however and BUT..the amendment does NOT protect you from CONSEQUENCES from YOUR ACTIONS. So yes, she is allowed to say anything and everything no matter how stupid it is, but the school has the right to remove her from the squad.

As a cheerleader, she represents the school and school spirit. I wouldn't want someone who says ignorant and racist things to represent me either. As far as I am concerned, the school did the right thing.
What race was mentioned in her tweet?

I am well aware of what the First Amendment is about and my gripe is not that. I still think the school was wrong to suspend her because the tweet was not offensive. She was after all speaking about people breaking the law! Should they have suspended her if she sent a tweet condemning theft, fraud, or cheating on tests? Because that's what illegals are--thieves, frauds, and tax cheats.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 07:17 AM

29,626 posts, read 12,391,972 times
Instead of just shutting her mouth she needed to make the rounds on television with her mother and make a federal case out of this, whether or not you beleive her tweet was insensitive many at the school took it that way. This was a distraction at the school, and her statement was absurd maybe she could have come up with something better relative to low voter turnout.

It's one thing to take a controversial statement qbut quite another to stand up to the backlash, she then proceeded to complain to the school about other students reactions.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:00 AM

31,698 posts, read 14,622,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Instead of just shutting her mouth she needed to make the rounds on television with her mother and make a federal case out of this, whether or not you beleive her tweet was insensitive many at the school took it that way. This was a distraction at the school, and her statement was absurd maybe she could have come up with something better relative to low voter turnout.

It's one thing to take a controversial statement qbut quite another to stand up to the backlash, she then proceeded to complain to the school about other students reactions.

What was "controversial" about her statement? To openly oppose lawbreakers is to be "controversial"?

Old 12-08-2015, 08:32 AM

29,626 posts, read 12,391,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What was "controversial" about her statement? To openly oppose lawbreakers is to be "controversial"?
She made a statement that 90% of the residents were illegal, now why would she make that statement, based on what. I don't know the demographics of her city but I imagine there are some hispanic immigrants from South America and she is making the innuendo that 90% are illegal based on a poor voter turnout. Why the connection to illegal immigrants, the voter turnout was deplorable maybe she should focus on the teachers point rather than use it for some nonsensical reply.

It was dumb statement, she and her family need to move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or