Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 11:38 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,829,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Here in Arizona an Anglo is any non Hispanic White/Caucasian person............even one with dark skin.

I am of 1/2 Hungarian lineage and I definitely qualify as an Anglo here.

OTOH: a Hispanic can be of any race/ethnicity. There is no Latino race in the genetic sense----------it is a political label only.
still it is used incorrectly
because you speak english u qualify? americans have always misued labels anyway. i never heard an irish person consider themselves anglo just because. no such thing as a dark skinned anglo person unless used in the sense of speaking english but anywho.

tell that to many americans of latin american origin, american citizens etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 12:15 PM

4,427 posts, read 5,154,316 times
Quote:
That family looks 'White' to me as well..............I would count 'em as such.
These faces are "threshold" white. You venture a little further to Iraq and Egypt and only a minority of people would like these faces or pass for white.

This Egyptian family would be just outside that threshold. Not caucasian/white.

Google Image Result for http://img1.photographersdirect.com/img/17501/wm/pd1127939.jpg

Same for these little Peruvian beauties...

http://www.volunteervisions.org/images/slide_peru_2.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-05-2009, 02:34 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
These faces are "threshold" white. You venture a little further to Iraq and Egypt and only a minority of people would like these faces or pass for white.

This Egyptian family would be just outside that threshold. Not caucasian/white.

Google Image Result for http://img1.photographersdirect.com/img/17501/wm/pd1127939.jpg

Same for these little Peruvian beauties...

http://www.volunteervisions.org/images/slide_peru_2.jpg (broken link)
The Egyptians would still be counted as 'White' here in the USA.

Remember that 'White' people run the gamut from light brown to pasty in skin tone.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
still it is used incorrectly
because you speak english u qualify? americans have always misued labels anyway. i never heard an irish person consider themselves anglo just because. no such thing as a dark skinned anglo person unless used in the sense of speaking english but anywho.

tell that to many americans of latin american origin, american citizens etc
Under US government guidelines pertaining to Affirmative Action, etc. a Nordic White Spaniard is just as 'Hispanic' as a Nahautl speaking Aztec Indian from Mexico.

OTOH: a Hungarian, Italian, Brit, etc. with a stereotypical Spanish surname would not qualify.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:37 PM

38 posts, read 112,315 times
My son is dark chocolate, I am Hispanic because my mother was Spaniard and his father is half Irish, half Italian. He is still white because of his father, no matter if his skin is dark. Hispanic is a term used for Spaniards mixed with other races.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:45 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Under US government guidelines pertaining to Affirmative Action, etc. a Nordic White Spaniard is just as 'Hispanic' as a Nahautl speaking Aztec Indian from Mexico.

OTOH: a Hungarian, Italian, Brit, etc. with a stereotypical Spanish surname would not qualify.
My father is from Portugal, here in Florida I get "minority owned business status" if I were to open one, lol.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:57 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Don't you love the forms that as for your race!

I giggle every time I see it. I write in the other slot... American. Hehehe!

Believe it or not, we still live in a racist society. There will always be racism of some sort, from those that claim they are not racist. Might be minute, but that very small amount is still there. Just being different, be it your weight, how you walk, or the color of your skin. It is blossomed from ignorance.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:31 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
What I find very interesting after re-reading the original link is why the illegals from Arizona are heading over a 1,000 miles to Houston/Dallas yet few, if any are even bothering with Ye Olde Sanctuary State of California-------which is much closer to Phoenix.

The budget has forced the Democrats hand. The Gov has given them an ultimatum. Either more work furlough days or make cuts to programs being ransacked by Illegals and their Anchors. Arnold said, "You choose Dems, which one is it. Your job or your freebie programs."
So far it looks like they would rather have their job. It's starting to get hostile here in Cal for Illegal Aliens. There are no jobs and the free services are starting to dry up. Oh boohoo.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The budget has forced the Democrats hand. The Gov has given them an ultimatum. Either more work furlough days or make cuts to programs being ransacked by Illegals and their Anchors. Arnold said, "You choose Dems, which one is it. Your job or your freebie programs."
So far it looks like they would rather have their job. It's starting to get hostile here in Cal for Illegal Aliens. There are no jobs and the free services are starting to dry up. Oh boohoo.
Oh? Care to explain?

I have to admit that I enjoy hearing about a bunch of criminals AKA illegal aliens receiving their well deserved commupence (sp) for their insolence.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:23 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Oh? Care to explain?

I have to admit that I enjoy hearing about a bunch of criminals AKA illegal aliens receiving their well deserved commupence (sp) for their insolence.
Here's how it is playing out. Arnold is playing hard ball.

http://www.facebook.com/notes.php?id=9269711759

Saldana seems to think the tax payers, who have just received the highest tax increases in CA history are ripe for the picking for yet another round of tax increases via fees. Not so much.

The free loaders are going to have to feel some pain too as bad as the Dems want the Illegals to be future voters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration