Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2008, 09:55 AM

402 posts, read 1,056,902 times

Advertisements

I didn't see a copywrite on this article so hope the mod will allow this post.

Quote:

Hispanic military officer endorses immigration bill | IndyStar.com

5:36 PM February 4, 2008

Hispanic military officer endorses immigration bill

By Dan McFeely
dan.mcfeely@indystar.com
February 4, 2008

Supporters of a tough new illegal immigration bill got a shot of support from an unlikely source today -- Lt. Col. Ray Mejia, a high-ranking Hispanic in the Army Reserve -- who announced his support of Senate Bill 335.
"The rule of law is what this country is based upon, and I believe in that," said the 54-year-old Mejia, who works with the 310th Expeditionary Support Command as chief of the Distribution Management Center division.
Sen. Mike Delph, R-Carmel, author of the immigration bill, introduced Mejia to reporters at an 11 a.m. press conference -- hoping his endorsement will fight off charges that his bill is racially motivated, as many other Hispanic leaders have suggested.

Last edited by NewToCA; 02-05-2008 at 10:36 AM.. Reason: copyright
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 09:58 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,505,496 times
Nice that a high-ranking Hispanic would be opposed to illegal immigration. Unfortunately, there are lot of high-ranking Anglos who are all FOR it........

Old 02-05-2008, 10:02 AM

65 posts, read 121,742 times
well, at least there is one mexican american who is not a single minded pro-illegal like janet "bigmouth" Murguia! down with laraza

Old 02-05-2008, 10:31 AM

Default UNLIKELY Source?...hmmmm

Seriously, Choctaw, with all respect to you, I find columnist McFeeley's statement that Lt. Col. Mejia is an "unlikely source" for anti- illegal sentiment a little bit insulting. What, the Lieutenant is supposed to be in FAVOR of illegal immigrants? Why? Because of his surname? SHAME on McFeeley.

I have dozens of Spanish-surnamed in-laws, friends, and relatives. NONE that I know of support illegal immigration, and many are outspoken in their objections to it. I guess my family would be a real "shocker" to McFeeley--an entire extended GROUP of "unlikely people". (Maybe he'd say they were all disloyal to their 'own kind'?)

Thanks for your post, Choctaw....you're the 'messenger', not the spokesman. Pardon my 'grumpiness"...

PS Re-read your post..I hadn't realized that Mejia was HIMSELF, an immigrant. Still, the story is condescending. Are we surprised the high-ranking military officer has "assimilated" and become an "American"...we SHOULDN'T be. If immigrants are THAT unreliable, they shouldn't be allowed to BE military officers. Their loyalty to America shouldn't "surprise" us.....

Old 02-05-2008, 10:36 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,101,372 times
Copyright, right at the bottom of the page:

Copyright 2008 IndyStar.com. All rights reserved

Old 02-05-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your post, Choctaw....you're the 'messenger', not the spokesman. Pardon my 'grumpiness"...

PS Re-read your post..I hadn't realized that Mejia was HIMSELF, an immigrant. Still, the story is condescending. Are we surprised the high-ranking military officer has "assimilated" and become an "American"...we SHOULDN'T be. If immigrants are THAT unreliable, they shouldn't be allowed to BE military officers. Their loyalty to America shouldn't "surprise" us.....
Sorry the post offened you. I assure you t hat was not intentiional.

Quote:
Copyright, right at the bottom of the page:

Copyright 2008 IndyStar.com. All rights reserved
My appologies to you New to Ca, I just didn't see it. I'll do better next time.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choctaw2 View Post
Sorry the post offened you. I assure you t hat was not intentiional.

My appologies to you New to Ca, I just didn't see it. I'll do better next time.
Glad you sent the post, as an "eye-opener". No offense is directed at you, but at the writer. It just seems a lot like someone saying they're "surprised" to find that a black person is against inner-city crime...or "surprised" that a white person is against the KKK....or "surprised" that an Indian doesn't drink. Seems pretty condescending to me, as if these people are a "credit to their race".....Like a Hispanic who's against illegal immigration.....shouldn't be a 'surprise', I don't think.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:51 PM

I understand Macmeal and I agree.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:53 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,489,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Glad you sent the post, as an "eye-opener". No offense is directed at you, but at the writer. It just seems a lot like someone saying they're "surprised" to find that a black person is against inner-city crime...or "surprised" that a white person is against the KKK....or "surprised" that an Indian doesn't drink. Seems pretty condescending to me, as if these people are a "credit to their race".....Like a Hispanic who's against illegal immigration.....shouldn't be a 'surprise', I don't think.
I agree, but it is the pro-illegal side that has portrayed the issue as one of race. To a pro-illegal race baiter, I am certain that the story is indeed an eye-opener.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration