U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 08:19 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
URUAPAN, Mexico - When Arturo Mendoza's plot of corn could no longer sustain his family, he joined the stream of illegal immigrants heading toward the U.S. from rural Mexico.

During lunch breaks at a California furniture factory, Mendoza would catch himself thinking of home as he wolfed down his typical meal: tortas with chicken and chunks of avocado.

Little did he know that the creamy, green fruit would be his salvation
Read the rest of the article to see what Mr Mendoza did

Arizona Republic article (broken link)

To me this proves that Mexico is capable of taking responsibility for herself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 09:27 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
I wish Mr. Mendoza well, but I hope he can sleep. A few years ago, avocado growers in rural San Diego County (Cal) had to fund two full-time armed deputy positions, so great was the problem of "midnight pickers" in the groves. The things are worth SO MUCH, that two guys in a pickup can make a fortune in a few minutes, and "peddle" them just about anywhere, right from the truck.

I'm one of only THREE people in the western hemisphere who HATES the things. But Mr. Mendoza needn't worry about me---he'll have plenty of customers.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:36 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,921,056 times
i always check where something came from BEFORE we
consider buying it.. and mexico/china food products do
not make the buying list...

Old 02-03-2008, 10:47 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Bound View Post
Actually; some of their stuff is good quality.

That stated: if I had a choice between Chinese or Mexican, all other factors being equal, I will support our neighbor to the south

Old 02-03-2008, 11:25 AM

3,432 posts, read 2,157,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Bound View Post
Then you must check for everything you buy.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:41 AM

402 posts, read 938,169 times
Yummy fruit. I hope more people there will come up with ideas to help themselves and stay at home, encouraging others tostay at home also.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:46 AM

3,432 posts, read 2,157,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choctaw2 View Post
Yummy fruit. I hope more people there will come up with ideas to help themselves and stay at home, encouraging others tostay at home also.
I bet you guys didn't know this:

Quote:
The word "avocado" comes from the Spanish word aguacate, which derives in turn from the Nahuatl (Aztec) word ahuacatl, meaning "testicle", because of its shape- Wikipedia

Old 02-03-2008, 11:53 AM

9,308 posts, read 25,657,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post

That stated: if I had a choice between Chinese or Mexican, all other factors being equal, I will support our neighbor to the south
I agree, ArizonaBear

Supporting Mexican produce and products is a POSITIVE . . . as long as the quality is maintained.

Supporting THE ILLEGALS from Mexico (or any country for that matter) is anything but!

Old 02-03-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post

You may starve to death in Mexicali. There's a large Chinese-Mexican community there (whose ancestors fled the prejudice in California back in the 'teens and 20's)...there are several blocks of Chinese restaurants. Hard to find "mexican food" for a few blocks....I don't know how you'd handle that...

Old 02-03-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
I bet you guys didn't know this:
I assumed it was probably a "nahuatl' word, but was NOT aware of its meaning. Glad I don't LIKE the greasy things !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration