U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 07:47 AM

9,789 posts, read 7,106,581 times

Advertisements

I was standing in line at the post office yesterday and saw a notice about signing up for Selective Service and how it is a law when a young man turns 18 it is required by law to sign up.

I started to wonder now that we have millions of illegal aliens stepping out of the shadows and demanding rights will the young men be required to sign up for a possible draft if WW3 broke out?

If not than why? What is required by law of one group is not required of another. Are the illegal aliens becoming part of a protected class in America that is above the common laws?

Lets say WW3 did start and most American men aged 18-25 were drafted and the illegal aliens were allowed to stay home. The reason could be as simple as they do not speak English and we don't have the resources to teach them in time for war. Somehow I doubt that anyone that does not have a stake in America would actually go to fight for it.

It doesn't seem right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 08:46 AM

19,189 posts, read 14,062,995 times
This reminded me of a bill where they wanted to let illegal immigrants join the military which I opposed because we aren't recruiting that many and many US citizens are being turned away and cuts keep being made to our citizens.

Divided GOP rejects allowing illegal immigrants in the military | TheHill What they are looking for is a pathway to citizenship. One pathway - back to their country of origin.

I don't want to sign them up for the draft, I just want them gone. We shouldn't even be having the conversation about illegals in the military. The military should be involved in loading them up and shipping them out and standing at the border until a fence is built!

My son with Down syndrome had to sign up for the draft.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:02 AM

9,789 posts, read 7,106,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
This reminded me of a bill where they wanted to let illegal immigrants join the military which I opposed because we aren't recruiting that many and many US citizens are being turned away and cuts keep being made to our citizens.

Divided GOP rejects allowing illegal immigrants in the military | TheHill What they are looking for is a pathway to citizenship. One pathway - back to their country of origin.

I don't want to sign them up for the draft, I just want them gone. We shouldn't even be having the conversation about illegals in the military. The military should be involved in loading them up and shipping them out and standing at the border until a fence is built!

My son with Down syndrome had to sign up for the draft.

It is a Sci FI story theme where in the future men and women sign up to fight and if they lived they would become citizens. It is incentive for them.

I'm not talking about an illegal alien signing up to join the military today to reap the benefits and using his or her service as a pathway to citizenship but I'm merely asking if the illegals, now that they are coming out of the shadows and demanding rights if they will be required to sign up for selective service?

If WW3 broke out, the draft was enacted and many of our young men were whisked off to fight for their country would illegals also be called up?

I somehow doubt it so our men would be fighting for home and country while the guys who snuck in to America would be back home living the easy life like nothing is going on.

If people who are in this country illegally are demanding rights and that their voice be heard they also need to be ready to fight for the country that they came to.

A guy with down syndrome wouldn't be made to fight and there are many other reasons why a guy wouldn't be cleared for service but in the end if you want to take something from this country you also need to be willing to give something back.

The current administration seems to just want to give and give to the illegal aliens so why not have them sign up for selective service?
If I had refused to do it when I turned 18 I would have gone to jail so why not them?

Old 12-01-2015, 11:16 AM

14,196 posts, read 7,402,658 times
The question would be deemed racist, etc etc.. cruel inhumane.. etc etc.. Protected class yes.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:47 PM

11,485 posts, read 5,507,878 times
Illegals have to register for the draft:

https://www.sss.gov/Registration-Info/Who-Registration

From the above link:

NON-CITIZENS

Some non-citizens are required to register. Others are not. Non-citizens who are not required to register with Selective Service include men who are in the U.S. on a valid student or visitor visa, and men who are part of a diplomatic or trade mission and their families. Almost all other male non-citizens are required to register, including undocumented immigrants, legal permanent residents, those seeking asylum, and refugees.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:05 PM

31,475 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Illegals have to register for the draft:

https://www.sss.gov/Registration-Info/Who-Registration

From the above link:

NON-CITIZENS

Some non-citizens are required to register. Others are not. Non-citizens who are not required to register with Selective Service include men who are in the U.S. on a valid student or visitor visa, and men who are part of a diplomatic or trade mission and their families. Almost all other male non-citizens are required to register, including undocumented immigrants, legal permanent residents, those seeking asylum, and refugees.
That's odd, "illegal aliens" are not allowed to join our military. Hmm.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:12 PM

19,237 posts, read 11,137,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I was standing in line at the post office yesterday and saw a notice about signing up for Selective Service and how it is a law when a young man turns 18 it is required by law to sign up.

I started to wonder now that we have millions of illegal aliens stepping out of the shadows and demanding rights will the young men be required to sign up for a possible draft if WW3 broke out?

If not than why? What is required by law of one group is not required of another. Are the illegal aliens becoming part of a protected class in America that is above the common laws?

Lets say WW3 did start and most American men aged 18-25 were drafted and the illegal aliens were allowed to stay home. The reason could be as simple as they do not speak English and we don't have the resources to teach them in time for war. Somehow I doubt that anyone that does not have a stake in America would actually go to fight for it.

It doesn't seem right.
Wake up! There are many non citizens who fight and die for the US. Where you been?

Old 12-01-2015, 09:16 PM

11,485 posts, read 5,507,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
That's odd, "illegal aliens" are not allowed to join our military. Hmm.
Yes, that's true. Illegals aren't allowed to join the military, yet still have to register for the draft. Rather contradictory, isn't it?

Old 12-02-2015, 01:19 PM

271 posts, read 268,424 times
While I am a proponent of shipping them all back, a secondary option I would favor would be mandatory military service as a path to citizenship or at least legal status. The main problem with that is that they still would have in essence skipped ahead of those who try to enter/migrate legally, which is not right.

Old 12-02-2015, 02:10 PM

31,475 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple1975 View Post
While I am a proponent of shipping them all back, a secondary option I would favor would be mandatory military service as a path to citizenship or at least legal status. The main problem with that is that they still would have in essence skipped ahead of those who try to enter/migrate legally, which is not right.
I wouldn't want illegal aliens serving in our military and certainly not given a path to citizenship or any legal status. They have already proven they have no respect for our laws. Why would we want them defending our country when it would be purely for a mercenary reason?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or