U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 10:42 PM

412 posts, read 294,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
How about, just to suit the PC crowd, we start calling them criminal immigrants? After all, they did break the law in coming here.
I prefer criminal alien myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 10:44 PM

4,520 posts, read 1,943,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Tho MOST people who comment after a "Yahoo" type of article def say ILLEGAL when talking about that kind of alien in the US.
Our major metropolitan newspapers--LA Times, NY Times, Dallas Morning Herald, etc.--have erased the word illegal from their language. It is infuriating how they straight up lie to their readers.

Old 12-26-2015, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Nowadays they don't even use the term undocumented. They just say immigrants period. Then you must read the entire article to suss out what's going on.
Yes, which rolls illegals in with the legal immigrants and is a dammed insult to anyone who went through the process and has permanent legal residence here.

That crap is coming out of all the major news outlets. I find it a disgusting abuse of the news business.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:06 PM

What I find interesting is the almost unanimous positions taken by posters to this thread. Unlike most political threads on C-D, there is very little diversity of opinion here. Most posters are dead set against the PC terms being bandied about instead of bluntly calling illegal aliens illegal, despite our nominal political differences.

I suspect there exists a substantial "silent majority" on this issue. It is probably one of the main reasons Trump is doing well. At some point maybe the press (and Hillary) will figure this out.

Old 12-27-2015, 08:29 AM

31,488 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Surely you misunderstand the post, you agreed with essentially the same point one post later. While I appreciate your attempt at legal analysis I'll leave it to the experts

I think even you can understand that a legal migrant has documents or is documented and an illegal immigrant would have no documents or is undocumented.

Thus, he is not an illegal. He is committing an illegal act by being an undocumented person entering the country. Illegal Immigrant is a correct term. An Illegal doesn't actually make sense it's not a noun. That's the essence of the argument. Please try some more legal analysis Id love to see some more attempts.

No, illegals have all kinds of documents all fake or stolen so they aren't undocumented. You can spin it all you want but the reason that pro-illegals use the word "undocumented" is to erase the word "illegal" which is the lawful adjective to describe their status in this country. They don't want to call attention to that.

Old 12-27-2015, 08:33 AM

31,488 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Quote:
Illegals is incorrect. But they are behaving illegally by being undocumented. I don't see an issue with Illegal Immigrant if we can have Legal Migrants then the flip should work too. But an Illegal is an incorrect use of the word.

No, it isn't. As I said it is just a shortened term for "illegal alien". Why can't you understand that? As I said, in another post they aren't undocumented they have all kinds of fake and stolen documents. They aren't called immigrants in our laws either. They are called aliens. An alien is a foreigner in our country. Illegal is the status of that foreigner. Done with this now. I am sorry that you won't accept the truth.

Old 12-27-2015, 05:36 PM

988 posts, read 436,377 times
Donald Trump employs undocumented workers: https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...a61_story.html

Therefore Donald Trump must be an illegal employer, according to the logic on this thread. Can I call Donald Trump "an illegal," short for "illegal employer," or does the excellent logic on this thread used to justify the term "illegal" as short for "illegal alien" not apply to him? "Illegal" is not a disrespectful term to Mr. Trump, correct? Just an accurate parsing of his actions, coined by a person with no agenda against him?

Old 12-27-2015, 06:06 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,286,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unwillingphoenician View Post
Donald Trump employs undocumented workers: https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...a61_story.html

Therefore Donald Trump must be an illegal employer, according to the logic on this thread. Can I call Donald Trump "an illegal," short for "illegal employer," or does the excellent logic on this thread used to justify the term "illegal" as short for "illegal alien" not apply to him? "Illegal" is not a disrespectful term to Mr. Trump, correct? Just an accurate parsing of his actions, coined by a person with no agenda against him?
If we're gonna go there: I'm quite sure Hillary, Jeb and so on are just as guilty.

Old 12-27-2015, 06:17 PM

988 posts, read 436,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
If we're gonna go there: I'm quite sure Hillary, Jeb and so on are just as guilty.
I'm sure they are too. I prefer Hillary to Trump, but make no mistake, she's an old-school corrupt politician. No argument here.

My point is simply this: 1) Hiring dozens of undocumented workers is more egregious than any one poor sap crossing the border, so if anything, Donald Trump (and Hillary, Jeb, etc. if you want to include them) is more of an "illegal employer" than a border crosser is an "illegal alien", and 2) yet if introductions at the Republican debate went like this: "Carly Fiorina, Former Head of HP, Rand Paul, Senator from Kentucky, Donald Trump, Illegal, Jeb Bush, Former Governor of Florida..." everybody would immediately see that agenda, wouldn't they?

Old 12-27-2015, 06:22 PM

19,189 posts, read 14,068,763 times
Quote:
Surely you misunderstand the post, you agreed with essentially the same point one post later. While I appreciate your attempt at legal analysis I'll leave it to the experts

I think even you can understand that a legal migrant has documents or is documented and an illegal immigrant would have no documents or is undocumented.

Thus, he is not an illegal. He is committing an illegal act by being an undocumented person entering the country. Illegal Immigrant is a correct term. An Illegal doesn't actually make sense it's not a noun. That's the essence of the argument. Please try some more legal analysis Id love to see some more attempts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestArea View Post
I prefer criminal alien myself.
I think that probably "understanding" lies with you. Illegal, but Not Undocumented | Center for Immigration Studies Yet another crime that they commit. Also, an immigrant is a person that comes to live permanently in a foreign country and these illegals don't qualify because they are not coming to live here permanently since they can be deported and should be deported being wrongly in the US.

Alien is belonging to a foreign nation or country of which these illegals do indeed qualify when they are in our country and are not citizens, thus "illegal aliens".

And, per this dictionary, "illegal" is a noun and the definition is "illegal alien". Illegal | Define Illegal at Dictionary.com and here is another dictionary link if you don't like that one: illegal: definition of illegal in Oxford dictionary (American English) (US) and it proclaims "illegal" a noun also.

Is there anything else that you are having trouble understanding when it comes to the illegals, the ones we hope to have deported per our immigration law?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No, illegals have all kinds of documents all fake or stolen so they aren't undocumented. You can spin it all you want but the reason that pro-illegals use the word "undocumented" is to erase the word "illegal" which is the lawful adjective to describe their status in this country. They don't want to call attention to that.
Link provided above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unwillingphoenician View Post

I suggest you read it again "May be employing". Your view is obviously "clouded" by something.

You know what? You can call him anything you want to until January 2017 and we all know how we will address him then.

If you look at the dictionary links that I provided, I think it will help you with your English when it comes to "illegals".

Would you like to address "anchors" as I have info to provide on that also. Just tell me what you need to understand and I'll do my best to help you.

I can buy into what someone suggested "criminal aliens" but it will take awhile for people to understand what that means because they'll be thinking: Family Security Matters and then I'll have to explain about immigration law and the seriousness of entering our country without authorization.

You know, I'll just stick with illegals for the next few months and after that the "herd" will get thinned out and we won't have to worry about "pc" anyway.

And, didn't everybody's mom tell them "Two wrongs don't make a right?" Guess not. I am all for arresting the employers and hauling butts illegally present back to their country of origin. I don't believe in discrimination when it comes to the law. Keep in mind the contractor's under someone like Trump would be responsible for hiring illegals.

I am past ready for the workplace raids. Load em' and ship em' out! I got boxes for those loading up!

Last edited by AnywhereElse; 12-27-2015 at 06:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or