Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 06:23 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unwillingphoenician View Post
I'm sure they are too. I prefer Hillary to Trump, but make no mistake, she's an old-school corrupt politician. No argument here.

My point is simply this: 1) Hiring dozens of undocumented workers is more egregious than any one poor sap crossing the border, so if anything, Donald Trump (and Hillary, Jeb, etc. if you want to include them) is more of an "illegal employer" than a border crosser is an "illegal alien", and 2) yet if introductions at the Republican debate went like this: "Carly Fiorina, Former Head of HP, Rand Paul, Senator from Kentucky, Donald Trump, Illegal, Jeb Bush, Former Governor of Florida..." everybody would immediately see that agenda, wouldn't they?
I'll "dance with Satan" IF it means chasing off MOST illegal aliens. Shall we say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 07:29 PM

62,952 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Donald Trump employs undocumented workers: https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...a61_story.html

Therefore Donald Trump must be an illegal employer, according to the logic on this thread. Can I call Donald Trump "an illegal," short for "illegal employer," or does the excellent logic on this thread used to justify the term "illegal" as short for "illegal alien" not apply to him? "Illegal" is not a disrespectful term to Mr. Trump, correct? Just an accurate parsing of his actions, coined by a person with no agenda against him?
Rich people do not hire manual laborers. They either contract out the work or they have people under them do it. There is no proof that he knowingly had illegals working for him. You can't be an illegal employer in this case as that would mean that Trump were in this country illegally. So you are comparing apples to oranges here.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
I'm sure they are too. I prefer Hillary to Trump, but make no mistake, she's an old-school corrupt politician. No argument here.

My point is simply this: 1) Hiring dozens of undocumented workers is more egregious than any one poor sap crossing the border, so if anything, Donald Trump (and Hillary, Jeb, etc. if you want to include them) is more of an "illegal employer" than a border crosser is an "illegal alien", and 2) yet if introductions at the Republican debate went like this: "Carly Fiorina, Former Head of HP, Rand Paul, Senator from Kentucky, Donald Trump, Illegal, Jeb Bush, Former Governor of Florida..." everybody would immediately see that agenda, wouldn't they?

Again, there is no such thing as an undocumented worker or immigrant.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:32 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Well, they aren't legal, that's for sure.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:35 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Well, I'll still be calling them "illegals" with their "anchor babies" until the day march back across the southern border and become a non-issue. The minute I read "undocumented" alien, I quit reading because we all know where that goes. The only thing that infuriates me more is hearing "We are a country of immigrants." That makes say "bad" things.
People say we are a nation of immigrants because they don't know the definition of immigrant. They need to look it up. If one is born in this country, one is a native and not an immigrant. I'm a native.

Old 12-27-2015, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
People say we are a nation of immigrants because they don't know the definition of immigrant. They need to look it up. If one is born in this country, one is a native and not an immigrant. I'm a native.
So am I.

Old 12-28-2015, 05:36 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Again, there is no such thing as an undocumented worker or immigrant.
That is what I don't get. Each time we get a new job, they want documents brought in before you start working. I realize a lot of them use forged and stolen documents but e-verify should stop that or at least come close.

Documentation Required to Work in the United States | Nolo.com

E-Verify and I checked a local business, one with a retail store outside the manufacturing area and they don't e-verify so I don't shop there. http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify When we moved here, my husband was looking for any kind of work, a starter job while we settled in and he got inside some of the businesses. Those that don't e-verify have a definite "trend" in the employees they hire.

Seriously, how many heard the word "undocumented" before all of this illegal stuff got out of hand?

Old 12-28-2015, 08:16 AM

988 posts, read 682,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Rich people do not hire manual laborers. They either contract out the work or they have people under them do it. There is no proof that he knowingly had illegals working for him. You can't be an illegal employer in this case as that would mean that Trump were in this country illegally. So you are comparing apples to oranges here.
This statement borders on the incredible.

You are limiting the definition of "illegal" to somebody who does not have papers to be in the United States.

Nobody is allowed to use "illegal" in any other context!

Unfortunately, that's not what my dictionary would suggest. "Illegal" is an adjective meaning "not legal" and can be used to modify nouns apart from "alien." One example would be "employer."

Donald Trump, Illegal.

As I've learned on this thread, describing Mr. Trump as illegal is a straightforward depiction of his illegal activities and not tied to an agenda.

Oh, wait. Donald Trump didn't "knowingly" hire aliens. Great. The buck would stop with the BIg Illegal if he were elected President, but in the meantime he's not even responsible for what goes on in his own business enterprises.

Just call me: "Proud to not support an Illegal for President!"

Old 12-28-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:

You are limiting the definition of "illegal" to somebody who does not have papers to be in the United States.

Unfortunately, that's not what my dictionary would suggest. "Illegal" is an adjective meaning "not legal" and can be used to modify nouns apart from "alien." One example would be "employer."

Donald Trump, Illegal.

As I've learned on this thread, describing Mr. Trump as illegal is a straightforward depiction of his illegal activities and not tied to an agenda.

Oh, wait. Donald Trump didn't "knowingly" hire aliens. Great. The buck would stop with the BIg Illegal if he were elected President, but in the meantime he's not even responsible for what goes on in his own business enterprises.

What is incredible are the pro-illegals who refuse to use the lawful immigration law term of "illegal alien" for those in our country illegally. There is no such term in our laws of an "illegal employer". Trump is not here illegally in our country therefore the term illegal for him does not fit. You're trying to spin a term only meant for illegal aliens into something else. Nice try but no cigar.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:

Donald Trump, Illegal.

Does it matter? Even the US govt calls illegal aliens "illegal aliens" and ALL of their kind need to arrested on the spot and held for deportation. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration