U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 07:22 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,286,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
So it is better to have those people who no longer have a job on unemployment or welfare? Yeah, not seeing that.
I think that "SupremeRuler" poster may've been banned since his posts won't come up. Tho I def agree that people who work with their hands NEED to be paid decent wages; if that means taxing the top wage and investment earners more, it is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 07:35 PM

11,501 posts, read 5,511,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger099 View Post
That sucks. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. Sounds like somewhere in Fairfax County.

I sometimes worry the same thing will happen to Pontotoc, even though it's much smaller.
Actually, I'm one county away which borders Fairfax. Both counties have overcrowded housing laws that have no teeth in them and the local politicians on both sides of the aisle refuse to make tougher laws. It's like they are afraid of scofflaws and treat them with kid gloves while those of us who are law-abiding are disrespected.

I've noticed that legal and illegal immigrants are drawn to the DC area. Some theorize it is because they come from countries where if you wanted a job, you have to move to the capitol. They think it's the same way in the US.

Thank you for your concern. We're working on moving out of here. However, we're going to thoroughly research any place we're considering so as to not encounter the exact same problem.

Old 12-14-2015, 02:14 AM

8,856 posts, read 10,315,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I think there are a host of reasons why some people support and defend illegal immigration. One, are those who are bleeding heart liberals. They are always for the supposed underdog all the time with no thought as to how these so-called underdogs impact our own citizen's lives. Two, are those who hire them so they don't care about anything but their own greed. Three, those who have ethnic ties to them and their tribal mentality trumps our immigration laws. All three are anti-American traitors, IMO.
I absolutely agree with your first and second reason. Number three, eh. Maybe some. My personal experience has been legal folks with those ethnic ties have not been fans of illegal immigrants and often resent them.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:46 AM

31,500 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I absolutely agree with your first and second reason. Number three, eh. Maybe some. My personal experience has been legal folks with those ethnic ties have not been fans of illegal immigrants and often resent them.

The polls and advocacy groups however do prove that out for the majority. Why do you think that our politicians (especially the Democrats) are falling all over themselves to gain the Hispanic vote by promising amnesty? If it were only a minority of Hispanics that are demanding amnesty that wouldn't be the case.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:00 AM

9,801 posts, read 7,111,943 times
I have seen what illegals can do first hand.
I used to live and work on a island where there was a large group of Brazilian people some were legal and some were not.
The Brazilians as a whole are hard working people and those on this island found their way into the building trades and landscaping. Good Carpenters demanded a premium price for their work but when the Brazilians started coming in they would work for less and the illegals less than that. It drove many skilled people out of work because some people didn't care about quality but just wanted the job done as cheaply as possible.

Another common problem was the young men would work hard here but send their money back to Brazil. They didn't invest in the community but counted the days until they would move back home.
I knew one Brazilian guy who had his own painting business. He loved America and became a citizen but the illegals undercut him and pushed him out of business and he had to leave.

What I also noticed was the generation gap in the Brazilian community and how they operated. The older folks would put down roots and assimilate into the overall community which was probably due to having kids but the younger ones, the 20 somethings would take and take.

In the end illegals are bad for any area, they drive the cost of labor down since they don't carry insurance or pay taxes like a regular business is required to do and when the work dries up or they have worn out their welcome they can go back home but where do we go?

Old 12-14-2015, 09:38 AM

19,189 posts, read 14,068,763 times
I think Cape Cod Todd is a good overview for most areas. It is for the areas that we have lived in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or