U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 05:56 PM

19,189 posts, read 14,068,763 times

Advertisements

I really have to wonder about some of the posts in this section. I realize we have illegal sympathizers, illegals themselves and those that exploit the illegals but I wonder how many are just dwelling in "ignorance is bliss".

My husband was one of the people replaced in a window manufacturing facility by illegals. We did not realize at that time that the company was slowly doing this. They dumped several workers in Sept of that year and the others, on Dec 23. My husband came home on Dec 23, two days before Christmas and was laid off. None of those people were called back but were replaced in March when business picked up by illegals car pooling in from a city that was 30 miles south where several had lost their jobs when a huge plant had left the area. So, while this manufacturer milked the city for loans and grants to create jobs in our city, they brought the illegals from out of town into the jobs. I learned other companies in this smaller town were doing the same. I now see it more and more across the state. Like an infection that spreads and has no bounds.

We relocated to our current city, which I knew had illegals but I had no idea what that really did to a city. I thought they just all worked at the meat/dog food manufacturers, didn't know about the "anchor" babies sucking down the public assistance funding, illegals using the emergency room for medical needs, the impact of illegal children on the local schools, the crime........................ What an education.

I found my elected representatives didn't want to touch the subject so I got involved in educating myself on the problem. The HUGE problem. That is what brought me to this area of the forum since before that, I had never ventured down here in the 7 years I have been a member.

Living in "ignorance is bliss" leads to a very rude awakening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 06:25 PM

1,547 posts, read 820,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSupremeRuler View Post
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that low skill assembly jobs are a form of welfare this country can no longer afford.

Union jacks like that suck off the tit of society and bring our country down.
So it is better to have those people who no longer have a job on unemployment or welfare? Yeah, not seeing that.

Old 12-10-2015, 06:34 PM

19,189 posts, read 14,068,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSupremeRuler View Post
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that low skill assembly jobs are a form of welfare this country can no longer afford.

Union jacks like that suck off the tit of society and bring our country down.
I have no idea what you are saying. Also, there are no unions involved. I don't see how people working 40 hours a week producing windows, these were large commercial windows, high grade and making enough to live in low cost areas without public assistance has anything to do with bringing the country down.

Now replacing legal citizen workers with illegals is what brings the country down.

Also, many of those jobs are not "low" skill and some of the manufacturers that hire illegals realize very quickly that they have made a mistake but at that point, they are stuck with them. Citizens leave town looking for jobs, houses empty out and the town decays. One place had to turn away 40 applicants because none could read a ruler accurately, a regular common ruler. Yes, the illegals are working in construction. Scary.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:48 PM

11,501 posts, read 5,511,317 times
I think that there are a lot of people who live in areas that haven't been infested with illegals. Then there are the elitists in their gated communities or doorman condo/apartment buildings. None of these people have a clue about the devastation caused by illegal immigration. These are the same people who scream "racist!" "bigot!" "xenophobe" when you try to explain what is happening.

When we moved to our town, 28 years ago, the schools were good, people were living 1 family to a house and the foreign born people we had were here legally plus they spoke English and sent their kids to school knowing English.

Ten years later, there was a very gradual shift that started occurring. We started seeing illegal aliens coming in and the occasional flophouse here and there. When our daughter got to HS in the late 90s, she started telling us that everyday she saw new kids in school who didn't speak any English. Teachers started feeling overwhelmed. They would have a new kid come to class who didn't speak English and would ask the class if anyone spoke Spanish. There was one girl whose family had been a part of the community for years. This family was Salvadoran. Their daughter was in our daughter's class and this girl had been fluent in English when she started school. She was a good student but started to find that she was assigned to the new kids and had to become an interpreter. I wondered just how much her own learning was suffering.

I was once a big supporter of townhouses because I felt that they were affordable starter homes for families. Now I've come to hate them as far too many have 3 families living in a 3 bedroom home. Many of them have illegal apartments in the basements. When this happens, the law-abiding Americans and legal immigrants experience a loss in quality of life and lower property values.

The once good schools have deteriorated. I would never send my child to one of them now. I know many single women who had lived in the community for years---some were widows, others were young women who were living in a home they had purchased. Over time, many of them became fearful as they were surrounded by flophouses. One elderly woman who lived alone, had an illegal alien break into her home and rape her. Others reported getting cat calls every time they left their homes. These women ended up moving on---some with tears in their eyes.

If someone had told me back when we first moved here, that we would see MS-13 graffiti and have gang shootings in the community, I would have said "no way!" Sadly, I would have been wrong.

Seeing what harm illegal immigration causes to a community is what got me involved in this issue. My rep and senators hear from me quite frequently on this issue. I donate money to groups who are fighting to secure our borders and rid ourselves of illegal aliens. What motivates me to do something is that I want the American Dream to be there for my descendants.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:43 PM

6,730 posts, read 1,899,090 times
I think the term willfully ignorant fits those who opt to call illegals, (Immigrants).

Old 12-10-2015, 09:18 PM

10,833 posts, read 11,570,071 times
Illegals are like a locust plague.

Old 12-13-2015, 04:47 PM
Status: "My eyes are rolled back so far I can see my brain." (set 12 days ago)

13,387 posts, read 11,879,321 times
Pretty soon the liberals will call manufacturing jobs "jobs that no Americans want to do so we have to allow illegals in to do"...

...just like they did with agricultural jobs.

Old 12-13-2015, 04:55 PM

2,060 posts, read 929,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I think that there are a lot of people who live in areas that haven't been infested with illegals. Then there are the elitists in their gated communities or doorman condo/apartment buildings. None of these people have a clue about the devastation caused by illegal immigration. These are the same people who scream "racist!" "bigot!" "xenophobe" when you try to explain what is happening.

When we moved to our town, 28 years ago, the schools were good, people were living 1 family to a house and the foreign born people we had were here legally plus they spoke English and sent their kids to school knowing English.

Ten years later, there was a very gradual shift that started occurring. We started seeing illegal aliens coming in and the occasional flophouse here and there. When our daughter got to HS in the late 90s, she started telling us that everyday she saw new kids in school who didn't speak any English. Teachers started feeling overwhelmed. They would have a new kid come to class who didn't speak English and would ask the class if anyone spoke Spanish. There was one girl whose family had been a part of the community for years. This family was Salvadoran. Their daughter was in our daughter's class and this girl had been fluent in English when she started school. She was a good student but started to find that she was assigned to the new kids and had to become an interpreter. I wondered just how much her own learning was suffering.

I was once a big supporter of townhouses because I felt that they were affordable starter homes for families. Now I've come to hate them as far too many have 3 families living in a 3 bedroom home. Many of them have illegal apartments in the basements. When this happens, the law-abiding Americans and legal immigrants experience a loss in quality of life and lower property values.

The once good schools have deteriorated. I would never send my child to one of them now. I know many single women who had lived in the community for years---some were widows, others were young women who were living in a home they had purchased. Over time, many of them became fearful as they were surrounded by flophouses. One elderly woman who lived alone, had an illegal alien break into her home and rape her. Others reported getting cat calls every time they left their homes. These women ended up moving on---some with tears in their eyes.

If someone had told me back when we first moved here, that we would see MS-13 graffiti and have gang shootings in the community, I would have said "no way!" Sadly, I would have been wrong.

Seeing what harm illegal immigration causes to a community is what got me involved in this issue. My rep and senators hear from me quite frequently on this issue. I donate money to groups who are fighting to secure our borders and rid ourselves of illegal aliens. What motivates me to do something is that I want the American Dream to be there for my descendants.
That sucks. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. Sounds like somewhere in Fairfax County.

I sometimes worry the same thing will happen to Pontotoc, even though it's much smaller.

Old 12-13-2015, 05:31 PM

31,500 posts, read 14,573,470 times
I think there are a host of reasons why some people support and defend illegal immigration. One, are those who are bleeding heart liberals. They are always for the supposed underdog all the time with no thought as to how these so-called underdogs impact our own citizen's lives. Two, are those who hire them so they don't care about anything but their own greed. Three, those who have ethnic ties to them and their tribal mentality trumps our immigration laws. All three are anti-American traitors, IMO.

Old 12-13-2015, 07:20 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,286,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger099 View Post
That sucks. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. Sounds like somewhere in Fairfax County.

I sometimes worry the same thing will happen to Pontotoc, even though it's much smaller.
Bos lives near Wash DC, I know of an Alexandria but not sure about where fairfax is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or