Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the context of the usage of the term Hispanic appropriate as a designation?
Yes; it's appropriate in the regard that it recognizes that Latin American's are legitimately ''minorities.'' 14 21.21%
No; It's an inappropriate designation that was created as a crafty political device. 45 68.18%
I am not acquainted enough with this subject to judge. 7 10.61%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 07:49 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,496,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
I truly hope our open mindedness can teach Latin America to abondon, outright racist imagery in their culture. Tela Novelas would be a good start. Not only a majority of the actors are white, the few non-whites you see are maids, servants or criminals. The culture in the United States in this day and age would never accept that. We even like seeing the exotic in different peoples and actually have black people (not bleached black) living in Mansions right next to rich white people as "black people", not a new warped perception that they are now white due to their wealth. Crazy....
I think Brazil is the most racially open minded country in the world and they are considered Latin America. I am not saying discrimination doesn't exist there, but for the most part I think they are ahead of the U.S. with integration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 09:33 AM

4,420 posts, read 5,151,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
But then again isn't White skin and blue eyes the most sought after type? Lets start off in our country, Abercrombie and Fitch? American Eagle? White skin and blue eyes is deemed beautiful in all cultures and countries. There have already been famous Afro-Mexican actors in various "telenovelas" such as Destilando amor and this other one I forgot the name of, he's an Afro-Mexican priest who is like Thalia's (the singer) guide.
NO. Black people in America, light or not do not swoon after the white skin and blue eyes. In Latin America yes, not here. And I hope to god it never does become even close to like that here. It's a sick system, ask Michael Jackson.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:50 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
NO. Black people in America, light or not do not swoon after the white skin and blue eyes. In Latin America yes, not here. And I hope to god it never does become even close to like that here. It's a sick system, ask Michael Jackson.

Michael Jackson was once described as a person who went from being "a nice looking young Black boy, to a rather homely-looking White woman"....

Old 02-07-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
I went to Mexico and its odd that they focus on European styles from their very haircuts to the close they wear, of course only the ones that can afford it. Nevermind the fact they are close to the U.S.
It's simply a fact of life in most of the world that American styles are "flashy" and "sexy" --(Cars, movies, music)...but if you want "sophisticated", European is the way to go. Even here in the US, "European" style is "chic"...."American" is loud, crass, and "vulgar"...
(California makes some VERY respectable wines, on a par with anything in the WORLD...yet how many years did it take to become "recognized"?...California wines were 'good'...but not 'sophisticated', because only EUROPEANS understood wines)...

Old 02-07-2008, 12:08 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,518 times
I may be Hispanic.

My family came from Ireland to North America and bought land from the Spanish government in Texas. Later they had to buy it again from the Mexican government after they kicked out the Spanish.
Ireland was settled in 1699 BCE by Galacia (Spain) so the Irish are in effect proto-Hispanics. The term Hispanic is Roman in origin since they called the area Hispania. From an ethnic point of view, I'm about as Hispano blanco as can be but politically, I'm a non-Hispanic white since the Irish left Spain before it was actually Spain. Genetically I was Hispanic before the Spanish language existed. Since Spain was under Muslim rule for 750 years and what we now know as Spain has only existed for about 1000 years, it's debatable as to whether Irish could claim their land of origin as actually being Hispanic.

Depending on the definition you use, I could be considered Hispanic and possibly even Latino if you really stretch since I'm from a Spanish speaking region and do in fact speak Spanish. My fluency is about the level of a 2 year old but I can get by as a tourist.

It's politics. Hispanic is not an ethnic term but it's twisted around and used as such.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
I may be Hispanic.

My family came from Ireland to North America and bought land from the Spanish government in Texas. Later they had to buy it again from the Mexican government after they kicked out the Spanish.
Ireland was settled in 1699 BCE by Galacia (Spain) so the Irish are in effect proto-Hispanics. The term Hispanic is Roman in origin since they called the area Hispania. From an ethnic point of view, I'm about as Hispano blanco as can be but politically, I'm a non-Hispanic white since the Irish left Spain before it was actually Spain. Genetically I was Hispanic before the Spanish language existed. Since Spain was under Muslim rule for 750 years and what we now know as Spain has only existed for about 1000 years, it's debatable as to whether Irish could claim their land of origin as actually being Hispanic.

Depending on the definition you use, I could be considered Hispanic and possibly even Latino if you really stretch since I'm from a Spanish speaking region and do in fact speak Spanish. My fluency is about the level of a 2 year old but I can get by as a tourist.

It's politics. Hispanic is not an ethnic term but it's twisted around and used as such.
The terms "Gaelic" (Irish language)...."Gales" (Spanish name for 'Wales')...."Gaul" and "Gallic"..(France, and "French')....and "Galicia"..(part of Spain) all share the same linguistic roots....

Old 02-07-2008, 08:43 PM

418 posts, read 367,206 times
Okay, before I respond to anyone's messages, let me just clear up the ''infraction points thing.'' For one, I haven't made any ''personal attacks'' on anyone. If that's how it's interpreted though, I'm sorry you took it that way. When I said look at the first couple sentences in the paragraph, I meant that literally physically. I didn't mean that as in talking down to someone. A lot of people have been getting confused at which part of post's I been replying too because I haven't quoted them properly. I didn't mean that as in picking someone out or anything like that.

I doubt anyone could take the issue of using Andy Garcia was an example in an argument that personal anyway lol Plus, I don't even know if that guy writes or has been keeping up on here. If any of you have a problem with what I say, just tell me either on here or in a private message. If something I said bothers you in a reponse, let me know so I can change. As I said before, we all aren't perfect.

I come on here to write and read messages though. I don't get into the whole infraction or reputation points thing. Or how many people read your messages. It takes you off topic. Anyone who has been writing on here for a long time would obviously have the highest reputation if what they said was at least moderately worth reading, so that whole system doesn't really work anyway.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:09 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,371,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc0127 View Post
Okay, before I respond to anyone's messages, let me just clear up the ''infraction points thing.'' For one, I haven't made any ''personal attacks'' on anyone. If that's how it's interpreted though, I'm sorry you took it that way. When I said look at the first couple sentences in the paragraph, I meant that literally physically. I didn't mean that as in talking down to someone. A lot of people have been getting confused at which part of post's I been replying too because I haven't quoted them properly. I didn't mean that as in picking someone out or anything like that.

I doubt anyone could take the issue of using Andy Garcia was an example in an argument that personal anyway lol Plus, I don't even know if that guy writes or has been keeping up on here. If any of you have a problem with what I say, just tell me either on here or in a private message. If something I said bothers you in a reponse, let me know so I can change. As I said before, we all aren't perfect.

I come on here to write and read messages though. I don't get into the whole infraction or reputation points thing. Or how many people read your messages. It takes you off topic. Anyone who has been writing on here for a long time would obviously have the highest reputation if what they said was at least moderately worth reading, so that whole system doesn't really work anyway.
The infractions you receive are from a Moderator of the forum who has deemed that you violated the Terms of Service agreement (TOS). It has nothing to do with any of the posters on here, unless one of us found your post to be offensive and reported you. As far as I remember, I found yours and SuperMario's posts to be very condescending and disrespectful, and I reported both of your posts myself.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:10 PM

4,420 posts, read 5,151,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc0127 View Post

Dude, are you O.K.?????????
Andy Garcia is the whitest person I have ever seen, oh my god, like an angel.
I hope that helps. Sorry for the sarcasm, but I think most people just wouldn't care about what you, others and I are talking about here anyway. But I do know from what I have witnessed around the world (was in the Navy) people see race the way I just explained. They like it simple, you know....

Old 02-07-2008, 09:13 PM

418 posts, read 367,206 times
''Maybe because I live in the SW -- but I think the so-called "hispanics" of the SW don't look like Mexicans. To me they look like Americans, they dress like Americans. I'm referring to those people whose family roots go back for many generations -- and it's more than "rich" or "poor" because the long-time American hispanics don't look like rich Mexicans or poor Mexicans.''

You're right, we will have different interpretation of that. There are different subcultures that exist in America. I've lived most of my life in New York and New Jersey, where as you are from the southwest. To yourself, a person of Mexican (or Tejano) descent seems physically and culturally of the norm. That ''norm'' could be indirectly relatable to whiteness, regardless of whether you were to believe they are or not. Where you live, someone of Mexican background would probably be considered a lot whiter than a Jewish person. Where as In New York City, a Jewish person is usually just acknowledged as an every day white person and a Mexican immigrant (or Mexican-American) would either be seen as non-white or in the ''gray territory.''

I know you're meaning the physical thing allegorically. Each country definitely has their own culture, which is far more richer than the segmentations that we create within. that You're right, the culture is rich in itself. For the remains of this that still exist today are well-representative of some of the richest roots of our nation's history and multi-cultural aspects.

In a way, the people of French descent who were predominantly there before the Louisiana purchase could claim a similar thing. People there were forced into transitioning in a new country which had a new language, a new predominate denomination of Christianity and culture. The same thing happened when new lines were drawn in upstate New York separating themselves from Quebec. That is why many people are still of French descent in that region (i.e. Plattsburg) and every now and than have the ability to speak the language (partly also due to their close geography to Quebec - similar to the southwest with Mexico).

You're right in much in much of what you said. I can notice this cultural scent that comes off other people. I don't know if all have the best idea of this, but it definitely is much of what makes us who we are. I think one thing American's don't do enough is that we don't look into how our culture brings us together. We can deny/ignore such unity, yet undeniably all go on to live on similar lives in every aspect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration