U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2015, 06:11 AM

1,697 posts, read 1,030,336 times

Advertisements

Not so conservative after all!
Marco Rubio Endorsement Brings Trey Gowdy's Radical History on Immigration Into Spotlight - Breitbart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 06:21 AM
TKO

2,144 posts, read 2,800,620 times
I can understand fiscal conservatism and share most of the same hopes and ideas. I can understand a bit less social conservatism, what others do with their lives is their business (which seems conservative to me but involves change). I don't understand conservatism with respect to immigrants at all (legal or illegal).

Gowdy's plans seem very pragmatic to me but "true conservatives" as defined by Rush etal can accept nothing less than rounding up the illegals and shipping them home. A massively costly endeavour in terms of money and social upheaval. How is that conservative? I always think of conservatives as protectors of the status quo and while the fiscal and social sort are doing just that the conservatives views on immigration seem to be anything but.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:36 AM

20,611 posts, read 12,278,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
I can understand fiscal conservatism and share most of the same hopes and ideas. I can understand a bit less social conservatism, what others do with their lives is their business (which seems conservative to me but involves change). I don't understand conservatism with respect to immigrants at all (legal or illegal).

Gowdy's plans seem very pragmatic to me but "true conservatives" as defined by Rush etal can accept nothing less than rounding up the illegals and shipping them home. A massively costly endeavour in terms of money and social upheaval. How is that conservative? I always think of conservatives as protectors of the status quo and while the fiscal and social sort are doing just that the conservatives views on immigration seem to be anything but.
Who said anything about rounding their illegal alien kind up? MOST illegals WOULD leave once word got out that ANY "contact" with LE would be automatic arrest, no bail hold, then deportation. Then the rest illegals who are hard heads would shut up and lay low, real low.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:46 AM

31,471 posts, read 14,559,147 times
Illegal immigration is against the law. Opposition should come from every American regardless of their party affiliation. How can anyone state that they don't understand that? Again, there will be no "rounding them all up". Removing the incentives for them to remain here would be the desired solution. But even if they were all rounded up fiscally it would be a benefit not a net loss. Illegal aliens cost us billions a year in their social costs and they also send billions of dollars back to their homelands not spent in our economy not to mention the loss of jobs and reduced wages for Americans.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:44 AM
TKO

2,144 posts, read 2,800,620 times
Thanks for the insight, og and pf. I suppose in a way that the prevailing conservative view of immigration is tied in with both fiscal and social conservatism more closely than I considered. Food for thought, I appreciate it.

Old 12-30-2015, 02:02 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,278,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Thanks for the insight, og and pf. I suppose in a way that the prevailing conservative view of immigration is tied in with both fiscal and social conservatism more closely than I considered. Food for thought, I appreciate it.
No worries; I repped you, too.

Old 12-30-2015, 02:19 PM

11,485 posts, read 5,504,092 times
Wow! What an eye-opening article! I knew all about where Rubio stands on this issue but didn't know about Gowdy. In fact, I thought Gowdy was better than that! Sadly, I was wrong.

Old 12-30-2015, 04:29 PM

1,697 posts, read 1,030,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Wow! What an eye-opening article! I knew all about where Rubio stands on this issue but didn't know about Gowdy. In fact, I thought Gowdy was better than that! Sadly, I was wrong.
They had both Rubio and Gowdy of Faux Snooze this morning and didn't bother to ask either one of them about anything near this topic. The establishment agenda prevails.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:19 PM
Status: "My eyes are rolled back so far I can see my brain." (set 10 days ago)

13,367 posts, read 11,871,000 times
He's done.

Old 12-31-2015, 03:35 PM

21,492 posts, read 10,394,958 times
The dems may get it after they lose their job, there is no money left to give welfare to them when the government tax base is gone and the free bees given to illegals bankrupt the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration