Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 07:47 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Capitalism works this way.
And how is that working out for the majority with manufacturing going overseas and residential construction being done by non tax paying workers.

So the majority has to pay higher taxes to support the welfare people and the "capitalists" are laughing all the way to the bank.
This is why I will not buy products made overseas if I can buy American made and will never employ non Americans.
It's the capitalists who have f___ed up this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 07:48 AM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,978,721 times
The progressives have double-teamed this:

1. Raise the cost of doing business by demanding that American grass cutters and other laborers buy pricy, comprehensive health insurance that includes maternity care:
_"Obamacare 101: Why do men need to buy maternity coverage?"_
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/DC-Decoder/2013/1118/Obamacare-101-Why-do-men-need-to-buy-maternity-coverage

2. Simultaneously destroy their wages by importing 400,000 new landscaping, entertainment, restaurant, lodging, ranching laborers per year from outside the borders.

And the leftists go, "Yep."

Old 01-03-2016, 08:08 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowtreatments View Post
I find it interesting the same people that constantly complain about not making a living wage. Are the same people that If you showed up at their door step to do some work. Would scream and complain that we're too expensive. I guess business owners are not allowed to make a living.
I'm glad we are dropping the facade of this subject being about your "friend"

Old 01-03-2016, 08:26 AM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Looking at this objectively, lets suppose using Americans the cheapest you can get a job done on your home is $5,000.and at that price you will not get it done. That would have included $2,000 of stuff bought at Home Depot or Lowes.

A company comes along now, where they use other labor sources, says they will do it at $4,000, and you agree. $2,000 was now just spent locally at HD or Lowes. Some of that on US made materials. Have that happen a few times per month and you just increased HD or Lowe's revenue, without which HD or Lowes would have to decrease payroll hours of Americans.

We need to stop acting like the job will get done with higher cost labor, as quite often, it won't, and when it does not, the GDP affect is $0.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:32 AM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
With all the talk about illegal aliens stealing American jobs is that really an accurate statement. Personally as far as I can tell it has not affected my business whatsoever but every business is different. A business owner that I know employs illegals all the time. According to this one business owner illegals have helped grow his business dramatically. Stated he would love to hire Americans but can't find good help. Today's youths just do not want to get their hand's dirty. Don't get me wrong by no means am I endorsing illegal immigration. However in the end are illegals really having a negative impact on our economy.

You must not get out much. Illegal aliens have flooded the construction, landscaping, restaurant industries and reduced wages for blue-collared American workers. The business owner you know is only gaining for himself while passing the social costs of his illegal workforce onto regular Americans while screwing them out of a job. It's utter BS that he can't find good American help. He is just looking for cheap help to increase his profits. It's also nonsense that our youth or adults don't want to work manual labor jobs. Who did them before millions of illegals flooded our borders willing to work for less?

Yes, illegals have a negative impact on our economy. They give birth on our soil which we pay for and the welfare they are entitled to thru them. They are increasing costs of health, education and welfare. They are overcrowding those facilities also. They send billions out of our country which isn't spent in our economy. Many pay no income taxes at all. Besides, what part of we have immigration laws aren't you getting that causes you to pose your question in the first place?

Last edited by Oldglory; 01-03-2016 at 08:49 AM..

Old 01-03-2016, 08:37 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
He could start by paying a decent wage. "I can't find any Americans to work for me" is a cop out for employers not willing to pay fair wages.

Many American complain about hiring illegals but when it comes to paying for manual labor they look the other way.
One grass cutter wants $75 to cut your lawn
The other guy will do it for $50.
Most people will go for the $50 and not care who is doing the work. Congrats you have just hired an illegal.
Illegals here do it for $35, cash of course.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:40 AM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Again i'm not endorsing illegal immigration. However if business owners can't find good help. What are they supposed to do...go out of business?

If they can't find "legal" workers to do good work then yes, they need to go out of business. But we all know that's BS anyway!

Old 01-03-2016, 09:27 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Looking at this objectively, lets suppose using Americans the cheapest you can get a job done on your home is $5,000.and at that price you will not get it done. That would have included $2,000 of stuff bought at Home Depot or Lowes.

A company comes along now, where they use other labor sources, says they will do it at $4,000, and you agree. $2,000 was now just spent locally at HD or Lowes. Some of that on US made materials. Have that happen a few times per month and you just increased HD or Lowe's revenue, without which HD or Lowes would have to decrease payroll hours of Americans.

We need to stop acting like the job will get done with higher cost labor, as quite often, it won't, and when it does not, the GDP affect is $0.
When I was a NJ construction contractor I never bought from HD or Lowes. I bought from either lumber yards, Electrical supply houses or Plumbing supply houses.
Many of the HD, Lowes products even though they might be the same brand or product # are not the same quality of those items sold in dedicated contractor supply houses. Ask any experienced carpenter, electrician, plumber.
The reason being is that that HD, Lowes are geared towards DIY contactors and not legit experienced construction companies.

Low budget "new" contractors using foreign labor are those using HD, Lowes for materials.

So in many cases you are not getting the quality products you think you are getting just because they have the same product #.
I always got my materials cheaper and the better quality products because of a good financial standing with my suppliers, something that fly by night newbie contractors can't get.

So even though the home owner might think he is getting a better price because of lower labor costs he is also getting lesser quality materials.
Remember the squawk about Chinese wallboard?

The old saying many times applies to construction projects. "Cheap is expensive".

Old 01-03-2016, 10:06 AM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
When I was a NJ construction contractor I never bought from HD or Lowes. I bought from either lumber yards, Electrical supply houses or Plumbing supply houses.
Many of the HD, Lowes products even though they might be the same brand or product # are not the same quality of those items sold in dedicated contractor supply houses. Ask any experienced carpenter, electrician, plumber.
The reason being is that that HD, Lowes are geared towards DIY contactors and not legit experienced construction companies.

Low budget "new" contractors using foreign labor are those using HD, Lowes for materials.

In both cases, materials bought = US jobs. Materials not bought = NO US jobs.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:58 AM

1,973 posts, read 2,273,248 times
Very Little if any cost savings to ANY ONE BUT THE BUSINESS OWNER.. Much higher profit margin because they pay lower wages to people who thee send there kids to our schools and need ESL class and subsidized lunches etc etc etc etc.Its a Lose Lose Lose for EVERYONE EXCEPT THE BUM Who hires illegals and YES He should be in Prison! 1 Year in Prison for every illegal he has EVER Hired!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
My brother in law had a concrete company that employed about 30 black laborers. His competition came in and hired nothing but Hispanics so he was forced to do the same (I guess his former employees went on welfare) to compete. There's no doubt Hispanic illegal labor has driven down the cost of construction and low cost labor in the areas where there are many Hispanics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration