U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-05-2008, 08:39 PM
 
Location: On my way to FLA baby !!
1,999 posts, read 1,184,929 times
Reputation: 357

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Of course, but I personally don't agree with all of them, and depending on how we wind up dealing with illegal immigration, I might not agree with the law(s), either. There are other laws I don't agree with at all. I don't see how something is right just because it's the law.

Not necessarily, no.
Isnt it funny how the libs on here talk about our invasion of Iraq but kinda forget that 25 million illegals who have nearly destroyed our country have invaded our country and yet it is different?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-05-2008, 08:44 PM
 
3,747 posts, read 5,104,428 times
Reputation: 1151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
Isnt it funny how the libs on here talk about our invasion of Iraq but kinda forget that 25 million illegals who have nearly destroyed our country have invaded our country and yet it is different?
Isn't it funny how some people see fit to put everyone in a neat little box so it's easier to explain (but not actually explain) disagreements? You just say it's "the conservatives on here" or "the liberals on here." And then it's settled--the other people are just stupid and you're right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2008, 08:47 PM
 
Location: Rural Central Texas
3,581 posts, read 9,009,467 times
Reputation: 5402
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Then don't read it.
Thank you for granting us permission to ignore you. I will comply with your wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2008, 08:59 PM
 
Location: Helena, Montana
2,010 posts, read 2,043,547 times
Reputation: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Isn't it funny how some people see fit to put everyone in a neat little box so it's easier to explain (but not actually explain) disagreements? You just say it's "the conservatives on here" or "the liberals on here." And then it's settled--the other people are just stupid and you're right.
You're arguing for and making excuses for breaking the law, so right and wrong seems pretty clear to me. We should NOT reward law breakers with amnesty, and we should enforce our laws and secure our border. Since people don't have the character to obey the law, we will make it damn near impossible for them to break it. To me, it's pretty cut and dry. If you want to come to this country to "seek a better life", then do it LEGALLY, or don't do it at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2008, 09:02 PM
 
Location: Rural Central Texas
3,581 posts, read 9,009,467 times
Reputation: 5402
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Seems hypocritical to me. We tell other people to tear down their walls but then we think we need one. I think it sends a horrible message, aside from that. I'm a little surprised that you responded this way...I thought you'd feel differently.

As a rule, I try not to post in this forum at all, because I feel like a militant homosexual on an Ann Coulter fan forum or something. I slipped and posted, though.
Fences make for good neighbors. We have all heard that. But ever wonder why? Simply put, fences remind us of the limits of our property and help enforce our respect of others property. This wall is no different in that respect. We have an economy that depends upon certain constraints and control in regard to supply and demand. If we have too great a supply of labor then labor costs go down too much and we cannot support a living wage. If labor is too constrained, then we can no longer produce in sufficient quantity to satisfy our consumer demand for products. We must keep everything in balance.

That example being said, our immigration policy must kept in balance as well. The lack of border controls or the lack of ability to enforce our attempts of border control endangers our ability to keep balance and that endangers both liberal and conservative goals for our nation. We cannot have both unlimited labor to keep our costs low and a satisfactory wage level for that labor. If an amazingly abundant cheap source of energy was suddenly developed, would anyone support keeping up payments to the oil companies for oil not produced in order to keep their income levels at a comparable level with other industry profits? I didn't think so.

Every good fence comes with a gate, however. Walls in Berlin did not have a gate and so simplistically is a bad wall. Gates allow flow from one side to the other, but in a controlled manner. We need that control, so we must need a good fence with a properly sized gate. It seems logical to me that we can guess at the gate size and build the fence and then adjust the gate later as we learn how well things function. It just seems that we need to do something to get control of our own destiny and not be at the whim of the rest of the world. We want to be an example to the world, but we dont need to be a poor example such as the farmer who gave his seed to the poor to feed them through the winter only to find he has nothing to plant the next season so everyone including himself starves in the following summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2008, 09:04 PM
 
3,747 posts, read 5,104,428 times
Reputation: 1151
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
You're arguing for and making excuses for breaking the law, so right and wrong seems pretty clear to me.
I'm arguing against building a fence. That's the only thing I'm being clear on in this thread, and that's for a good reason--I have been on the fence (excuse the awful pun) on the issue of illegal immigration for a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2008, 09:05 PM
 
Location: California
3,432 posts, read 2,161,594 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
I'm arguing against building a fence. That's the only thing I'm being clear on in this thread, and that's for good reason--I have been on the fence (excuse the awful pun) on the issue of illegal immigration for a long time.
Why do you not want a fence?! If Mexico has the right to have strict immigration laws with its neighbor to the south than so do we.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2008, 09:05 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,237 posts, read 72,453,647 times
Reputation: 47456
the political pressure to stonewall has been enormous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2008, 09:35 PM
 
1,252 posts, read 727,102 times
Reputation: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
Hence.......
Hoooo wheeee....

Revisionist history buffs don't even wait a full day before they start spinning nowadays......


Hence? ....hence, you say?

Baldwin Wood designed the levee systems in 1899,

....according to your loopy logic,

...that would make Republican President William McKinley also at fault for Katrina because he should have known of the design faults.
.
..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2008, 09:44 PM
 
Location: On my way to FLA baby !!
1,999 posts, read 1,184,929 times
Reputation: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by User 2 View Post
Hoooo wheeee....

Revisionist history buffs don't even wait a full day before they start spinning nowadays......


Hence? ....hence, you say?

Baldwin Wood designed the levee systems in 1899,

....according to your loopy logic,

...that would make Republican President William McKinley also at fault for Katrina because he should have known of the design faults.
.
..
Sure would. But he didnt have the fund sitting in his lap like wild bill did and sent it somewhere else other then where it was needed.

Actually the entire fault lies of the freako loser mayor and the nutcase Governor for power struggling hwo was in control, when all hell broke lose they both blames everyone else but themselves.
They should be in jail for causing deaths to so many people. Lack of good decision making cause this at the mayors and govenors offices.

They even had a merting days prior and went over the written HOW TO's and they didnt even follow them.

Biggest disaster in US history cause by two people who should never have been left in charge of anyones lifes.

These two failed the people of La, no one else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top