U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 09:49 PM

14,256 posts, read 7,415,835 times

Advertisements

And then they voted Nagan back in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 09:54 PM

1,252 posts, read 726,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
These two failed the people of La, no one else.
No matter that the two people you mention made mistakes,

....there were too many other mistakes not dependent on those two to even begin to think all the blame can be directed elsewhere.

From the horse show lawyer to Chertoff, and on to Bush, there's plenty of blame that can't be ignored, or hidden behind the mistakes of others.

If 'blame' is what you're concerned with, what about the Texas Republican who killed the fence?

Old 02-05-2008, 09:55 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,100,323 times
Quote:
These two failed the people of La, no one else.
As a citizen of Louisiana my entire life, I strongly disagree. But that is not the topic of this thread.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:02 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,175,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastender67 View Post
Michael Chertoff? The very same man in charge of FEMA during Katrina. Nobody but an idiot and his mother would believe what comes out of that moron's mouth.
Wrong.

Remember what Bush said?

"Brownie, I think you're doing a tremendous job."

Old 02-06-2008, 12:52 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,184,274 times
Doesnt matter what anyone thinks, line of command is already in place.

Your mayor is responsible first, then they go to the Govenor to ask for federal help, the governor is suppose to declare a state of emergency to get any help at all.

Look a what Arnold did during the fires and what Jeb did during his many hurricanes, you didnt see this bunch of baloney going on there did ya? NO.

They did it right, called all the shots from the local and state and then ask for federal help only when needed.

Federal cannot just jump in and help without asking or being asked by the governor/lt governor at the time.

Your mayor and your govenor failed to act, failed to follow the written procedures and failed to call for federal help until after it was too late.

The people of NO and La are the responsibility of your mayor and governor first, then it goes to the federal level.

GW nothing wrong at all, it was too late when he was asked for help.

*** Nephew in law was an army reserve who sit at my house with pictures of NO telling me that the loser mayor of New Orleans would not ALLOW the troops to even come into the city until he said they could come in. He said they sit on the edge of town with equipment, food and water and were not allowed to move until they got the word.

Dont care what people think, the facts are Katrina was called a week in advance and the mayor and governor SCREWED the whole thing up.

Typical liberal bull crap blaming everyone but themselves for allowing to to become a disaster in the first place. Now we are hearing your loser mayor is spending money on things that the money was not for. And those people voted him back in office... OMG

Old 02-06-2008, 01:05 PM

1,393 posts, read 2,491,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Of course there are fundamental differences. But I'm sure you can see the similarities, too. People seek a better life here.

Call me naive and idealistic, but I don't believe in this kind of problem-solving. It's somewhat similar to the disrespect I have for gated communities. The implication is that the people on the other side are inferior somehow and should not be allowed entrance.

No it's called self protection...Do you have a problem with that? That is what walls and gated communities are all about....And if you don't believe in self protection may I ask, Do you lock your doors ?

Old 02-06-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastender67 View Post
Michael Chertoff? The very same man in charge of FEMA during Katrina. Nobody but an idiot and his mother would believe what comes out of that moron's mouth.
If you think you can do better why don't you apply for his job ?

Old 02-06-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
I'm arguing against building a fence. That's the only thing I'm being clear on in this thread, and that's for a good reason--I have been on the fence (excuse the awful pun) on the issue of illegal immigration for a long time.
No, you're not on the fence, you fell off of it along time ago, to the left and wrong side !

Old 02-06-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Typical liberal bull crap blaming everyone but themselves for allowing to to become a disaster in the first place. Now we are hearing your loser mayor is spending money on things that the money was not for. And those people voted him back in office... OMG
I don't know what state you're from but I'm not hell bent on pretending to know everything about what went on there.

Talking to any Louisiana citizen that way is pushing it, really. I could go to Disneyworld during your next trip and hold hands with my girlfriend in front of your nine-year-old. Gladly. And you can tell her I'm sick.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
No it's called self protection...Do you have a problem with that? That is what walls and gated communities are all about....And if you don't believe in self protection may I ask, Do you lock your doors ?
I don't think it's comparable. Of course I believe in locking doors. I don't really believe gated communities are all about protection, honestly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration