Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 06:23 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,593,490 times

Advertisements

OK, forget the topic long enough for me to say that I am one of those smokers that respects the right of others not to have to suffer for my addiction. I wasn't always that way, but I've come to realize that I'm not the only set of lungs on this planet. I won't even smoke in my OWN house.

My car is a different matter, unless I'm carrying a non-smoking passenger.

So what do you think about the fence??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 06:26 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,662,427 times
Honestly, with the way the vote wnet yesterday might as well not even build it because all of the top candidates want them to roam freely in the US.

Heck after yesterday I can see the large numbers of them who were running for the border turning around.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:28 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,139,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
OK, forget the topic long enough for me to say that I am one of those smokers that respects the right of others not to have to suffer for my addiction. I wasn't always that way, but I've come to realize that I'm not the only set of lungs on this planet. I won't even smoke in my OWN house.

My car is a different matter, unless I'm carrying a non-smoking passenger.
Glad you spoke up, then. Most of the smokers I know feel the same way.

Quote:
So what do you think about the fence??
I still can't get over my feelings about the mere notion of a fence dividing countries. I'm not so in love with John Lennon lyrics that I can "imagine there's no countries," but my mindset is not as far from that as many other people's.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:48 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,593,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
Honestly, with the way the vote wnet yesterday might as well not even build it because all of the top candidates want them to roam freely in the US.

Heck after yesterday I can see the large numbers of them who were running for the border turning around.
Well, it's going to be up to the people to make sure, as we have for the past couple of years, that our elite politicians KNOW that we won't stand for amnesty. We're going to have to make sure that we elect Congress(wo)men and Senators who will follow the dictates of their constituents and not their contributors. We need to elect State Reps. that will obey the will of the people and pass the laws we need on THAT level.

We've certainly got our work cut out for us, don't we?

Old 02-07-2008, 10:14 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,047,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
I guess it didn't work because it is being built anyway..
It is?

That's funny, if the fence was being built there'd probably be some news coverage, but there isn't.

And why would that be?

There isn't any fence construction going on in Texas, it's tied up in the courts. it's not being built.

Some people are 'promising' a fence, ....but there's no new fence in Texas.

There's only been 12 miles of new fence built. (none of that in Texas)

That's not a very promising barrier on a 1900 mile long border.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:15 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
The fence is under construction in Arizona. Lot's of it.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:22 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
I don't care what it does--I think it's a terrible, reprehensible idea.
Why? Explain to me why the United States does not have a sovereign right to regulate the flow of people across its borders--The same right that every other country on the planet claims. The fact that it's mostly Latinos who are the illegal immigrants has nothing to do with it. After all, we don't let Germans or Canadians or British or any other group sneak over the frontier and wink at our immigration laws. Why do people from Central America get a free pass on this subject?

I'm waiting.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The fence is under construction in Arizona. Lot's of it.
...a few thousand feet of a proposed 370 miles is 'lots' of it?

Old 02-07-2008, 05:11 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by User 2 View Post
It is?

That's funny, if the fence was being built there'd probably be some news coverage, but there isn't.

And why would that be?

There isn't any fence construction going on in Texas, it's tied up in the courts. it's not being built.

Some people are 'promising' a fence, ....but there's no new fence in Texas.

There's only been 12 miles of new fence built. (none of that in Texas)

That's not a very promising barrier on a 1900 mile long border.

It's been on the news here....

Old 02-07-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
It's been on the news here....
Then you must be able to cite some so called news websites that show that....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration