Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 06:00 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maco81 View Post
No one Should be called illegal. Black people don't want certain words to refer to them, latinos don't need Illegal to refer to them. to call a latino illegal is not only degrading but racist as well. so the next time a black person refers to an immigrant as illegal, remember how it feels to be called a word you don't like
FYI:

An illegal immigrant of any race/ethnicity is just that--------illegal AKA a lawbreaker.

Besides: there is no Hispanic race-------a Mexican, Argentine, etc. can range from Nordic White to Black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 06:27 AM

407 posts, read 800,185 times
Quote:
No one Should be called illegal. Black people don't want certain words to refer to them, latinos don't need Illegal to refer to them. to call a latino illegal is not only degrading but racist as well. so the next time a black person refers to an immigrant as illegal, remember how it feels to be called a word you don't like
No matter what is the ethnic or racial background, ILLEGAL is illegal and they should called just that if they are. Then they should be deported.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:28 AM

407 posts, read 800,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
I'd like to point out you can get fined for J-walking. That is essentially what illegals are doing when crossing into the U.S.
Of course, once they have been deported and then they come back they are felons. Then one must not forget that even the ones who have not been deported commit felonies to stay and work so they are criminals and nothing else.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:58 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
Aren't Black people just "people"? If they're American citizens, isn't illegal immigration "costing" them the same thing it's costing "regular" people, who are ALSO American citizens? Do black people have a different relationship with illegals than OTHER people?.....

Old 02-22-2008, 01:07 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
Quote:

I'm missing something here. Most of my extended family could be arguably called "latino"---or certainly "non-white". None of them, to my knowledge, are called 'illegals'.
What does 'illegal" have to do with any 'slur' against latinos? "Illegal" refers to one's LEGAL status, not his ethnicity. There are plenty of people doing "illegal" things all day long, most of them NOT latino at ALL. And MOST 'latinos' that I know, are quite 'legal' in their behavior.

Surely you're not suggesting that "terrorist" is automatically a slur against Arabic Americans--are you? Is the term "racist" a code-word for Whites? How about "Gang-bangers"...what ethnic group is THAT a 'smear' against.(if any)?

I don't see the slur....sorry.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:19 AM

157 posts, read 309,956 times
Cool Logic

Guess What?? When You Illegals Cross That Border You See Americans. Black And White. Real Citizens. Don't Play Dumb.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:53 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,951,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOGIC View Post
Guess What?? When You Illegals Cross That Border You See Americans. Black And White. Real Citizens. Don't Play Dumb.
What about Brown Americans, real citizens? Thats me (Technically mocha latte with a lot of vanilla). You also see Asian Citizens. And citizens of all kinds of ethnicities and heritages. You don't even know what the hell your talking about.

Old 02-23-2008, 04:42 PM

754 posts, read 1,449,088 times
Quote:
This is quite possibly the how can I say this and not be offensive. Let me just say it's the opposite of smart. There's entirely too many things wrong with this statement that it impossible to hit on all of them, but here's a few:

1. A person in this country illegally, is an illegal alien. This is not a name that African Americans gave them, it's the name that the Government, Law Enforcement has given them. Because after all, they're here illegally hence the name. BTW, illegal = criminal.

2. No one has said that the term illegal alien should only refer to Latinos. You said that. I agree that would be racist to say that all illegal aliens are Latinos but you have to admit, out of the entire illegal alien population Latinos do make up for at least over 90% of them. At least they do here in LA.

3. Illegal aliens getting upset over being called illegal, are you serious. I'm sure there a lots of criminals who get upset by being called what they are (rapists, murderers, child molestors etc.). What's your point? You are what you are. BTW, they weren't born illegal aliens, this was something they willingly chose. To get mad at someone calling them that is arrogance beyond belief.

4. You can't be comparing the "N" word to the term "illegal aliens". Please tell me you're not. That just pushes your level of ignorance out there into the heavens. Seriously did you think about this before you posted it. It makes no sense at all.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:08 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,951,187 times
What do illegal immigrants want us to call them? Refugees?!? Let's get real. Some are... if they are from Mexico, they most likely aren't.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:12 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,064,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoeboy View Post
But black people were throwned into inner cities way before the immigration issue became as big as it is. There are studies that show if you have a black sounding name. There is a 50% chance you won't get a call back for a interview. That has nothing to do with immigration but racism and prejudice.
If you owned a business and depended on it for your income and had everything you owned and your family's future invested in it, would you want to hire someone whom you sincerely believed had a greater chance of being a bad employee?

Why do you think employers harbor this racism if it's irrational? If black employees were more profitable, in general, than white employees then couldn't some businesses make a killing by hiring only black employees? Is there a small chance that the discrimination might have a basis in reality? Perhaps those blacks who have African-sounding names or at least names that stick out, such as Lawanda, Poowana, Islam, Tayshaun aren't particularly profitable as a result of the probability that they were indoctrinated with "African culture" or inner city, ghetto culture?

I'm not saying that any of it is true. I think that everyone deserves to be evaluated on an individual, merit-based basis. However, I just wanted to pose the questions and get the issues out there. I suspect that in the real, business world, there's a big difference between idealism and practicality.

Last edited by Bhaalspawn; 02-24-2008 at 01:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration