U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 07:25 PM

31,698 posts, read 14,614,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
For CA economy...

Independent analyst forecasts rosy finances for California ** | The Press Democrat

So you like I believe the illegals would be replaced with legals at a higher cost. So the price of everything goes up. Maybe some small savings in taxes as there is less assistance but mostly these are low paid workers so school costs etc. would be the same.

I would also note the illegals tend to have a higher proportion of single men so the demand on social systems would go up as we get more families and children.

So on balance replacing illegals in CA probably mean everyones cost of living goes up.

I posted the best summaries I know of. Let us see you post a better set. But not from the biased groups like FAIR and such. Here is a hint. Anyone who uses the legal children of illegals as a cost is cheatiang and untrustworthy. Those are American citizens and have every right to their benefits.

This from a Democrat source? Why am I not a believer? No, replacing illegals with legal workers would not cause goods to go up because the employers would not be able to pass the social costs of their legal workforce on to the taxpayer as they do with illegal aliens. Our cost of living was much lower here in Calif. before the arrival of illegal aliens. You have it backwards. Illegals cost us billions a year in so many ways. FAIR is biased but some Democrat group isn't?

There is nothing in our Constitution that grants children of illegal aliens our birthright citizenship. It is has merely been a PC practice and the fact remains that wouldn't be so if their parents hadn't violated our immigration laws. They should have no rights to benefits in this country just because their illegal parents gave birth on our soil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 09:42 PM

1,017 posts, read 555,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
Well, in the last year CA Gov Brown agreed to take a large quantity of illegals into the state, then allowed them to enroll in MediCAL the same entity that covers lower income Californian's for the ACA, now that fund is broke and Gov Brown wants to institute a Health Premium Tax on the premiums of those not needing subsidies in order to prop up MediCAL. I can't see how this would NOT be a drain on the economy.
Amen.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:58 PM

11,544 posts, read 5,527,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Well tough! Then they need to contact their Representatives to make them easier to use but that in no way justifies them hiring illegal aliens because it is against the law. It is my understanding that pickers are paid by the bucket, etc. not by the hour. I'd like proof of your assertions. Many Americans do not live in rural areas to pick crops and it is not a career job anyway.
^Exactly! Many unemployed Americans live in urban areas. On top of that, they don't have reliable transportation. The farms could be 2-3 hours away so someone who has an unreliable car can't risk trying that type of commute. Plus, much of what they would earn would go right back into transportation costs.

Farmers who refuse to use the agricultural guest worker program and instead opt for cheap, exploitable, illegal labor are sleazy.

There is no job that an American won't do. However, Americans expect (and rightly so) a safe working environment and a living wage. Illegal aliens have depressed wages and have no problems working in unsafe environments.

Here is a link that elaborates on the farm work issue:

Phony Farm Labor Shortage: We Need to Talk About It

Old 01-15-2016, 10:22 PM

Quote:
This from a Democrat source? Why am I not a believer? No, replacing illegals with legal workers would not cause goods to go up because the employers would not be able to pass the social costs of their legal workforce on to the taxpayer as they do with illegal aliens. Our cost of living was much lower here in Calif. before the arrival of illegal aliens. You have it backwards. Illegals cost us billions a year in so many ways. FAIR is biased but some Democrat group isn't?

There is nothing in our Constitution that grants children of illegal aliens our birthright citizenship. It is has merely been a PC practice and the fact remains that wouldn't be so if their parents hadn't violated our immigration laws. They should have no rights to benefits in this country just because their illegal parents gave birth on our soil.
As a lifelong Californian, I have seen this state steadily go downhill. Anyone drive on our highways in the past few years? Our public schools still rank in the very bottom of schools in the U.S. Many social programs have been cut to the core in order to fit into the "balanced" budget. And how about the overcrowded prisons that have sent their 10,000 "non violent" offenders to the counties to support?

When I was growing up in an agriculture area in No. California, there were braceros who came to the farms to work the fields legally. Heck, as kids, we picked walnuts for extra spending money (as well as mowed lawns, babysat, delivered papers, etc.).

The technology sector is bringing in beau coup bucks to the state's coffers, but then the cost of living has skyrocketed. Housing is the highest in the nation. In my area, a one-bedroom mediocre apartment costs $3,500 on up a month. Homelessness is at an all-time high.

IMHO, FAIR does not present an accurate view of California's economic situation. It does advocate for the high-speed train to nowhere, though. That oughta tell you something about the state's priorities. But then, I am not going to argue or try to convince anyone about the true problems going on in California. I get frustrated, though, when I read all the malarkey.

I am also a registered Democrat.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:55 PM

Read "Why Amnesty Isn't the Solution (2007)" on the FAIR website for the actual costs to the American taxpayers from 1989 to 2001 due to IRCA 1986. Net cost was $78 billion, a "staggering" amount. There is a lot more information to be found in the study.

Old 01-16-2016, 06:37 AM

19,189 posts, read 14,091,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie1004 View Post
Read "Why Amnesty Isn't the Solution (2007)" on the FAIR website for the actual costs to the American taxpayers from 1989 to 2001 due to IRCA 1986. Net cost was $78 billion, a "staggering" amount. There is a lot more information to be found in the study.
Link: Why Amnesty Isn't the Solution (2007)

Old 01-16-2016, 09:25 AM

7,756 posts, read 3,858,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
^

There is no job that an American won't do. However, Americans expect (and rightly so) a safe working environment and a living wage. Illegal aliens have depressed wages and have no problems working in unsafe environments.
Not exactly true. Here in southern Missouri, the poultry plants and hog farms are some of the highest paying jobs available and they are safe jobs, just dirty. They can't get Americans to stay. When my daughter was hired there, she was among a group of about 40 white Americans hired. Within a few weeks, they all quit except her. All the Hispanics they hired, stayed. My daughter stayed for four years, because even though she had her teaching certificate, it paid better than teaching.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:28 AM

20,611 posts, read 12,301,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Not exactly true. Here in southern Missouri, the poultry plants and hog farms are some of the highest paying jobs available and they are safe jobs, just dirty. They can't get Americans to stay. When my daughter was hired there, she was among a group of about 40 white Americans hired. Within a few weeks, they all quit except her. All the Hispanics they hired, stayed. My daughter stayed for four years, because even though she had her teaching certificate, it paid better than teaching.
Legal "Hispanics" are Ok. Illegal aliens of any "race"; they're not needed.

Hell; like you said, your own daughter worked doing that rough farm type work because of the better money and probably less drama than dealing with school age hooligans.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:19 AM

31,698 posts, read 14,614,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post

White Americans? Hmm. Where were the blacks and legal Hispanics to do those jobs? It's not just a "white" thing. Were those Hispanic workers here legally or illegally? If a company can't retain American citizen workers of any race/ethnic group then perhaps they should address it with our government for visas for legal, foreign workers or go out of business. It is not acceptable to hire illegal aliens for any job. It's against the law.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:45 AM

10,806 posts, read 3,773,053 times
Quote:

Press Democrat is the daily newspaper in Sonoma County. It is an Associated Press report.

Even though you may hate it as a matter of fact the California economy is doing fine and the government is well into the black.

The citizenship of children born in the USA is well established. That you do not care for it is your problem not that of the children. The fact is that there is no dispute about this with all states recognizing their citizenship. Texas sometimes refuses to document it but does not dispute their citizenship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration