U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2008, 10:17 AM

1,861 posts, read 2,968,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Did your father also enjoy vacations abroad? Did he enjoy music from artists in Europe?

Did he enjoy Tulips from Holland?
All I know is he did not enjoy bombing Germany (the trauma of killing people probably ruined his whole life), and didn't love the horsemeat they served in England during the war.

He sure never went on vacations abroad - very poor family - remember the Depression? The only way he got to Europe was to fight for the freedoms of this country. And, THAT was more than most of us will ever do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 10:24 AM

1,252 posts, read 726,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
All this discussion has actually proved the point of the OT.

All I was trying to say originally was that young people don't seem to care about their particular country - they don't have that patriotism that older people have. And, I believe, that's part of our downfall.

Why the heck, for example, are we even dealing with the Chinese Communists who put poison in the toys we buy? Or, with India, by giving them our jobs so that we go hungry here? Gimme a break.

Think of America first, or you'll just have a 3rd world cesspool in the future. That's what our future holds, if this so-called "globalization" continues, "inevitable" or not.
You prove nothing about your so-called 'point'.

The decisions to buy lead paint toys from China? The young people have nothing to do with that, but members of the older generation did.

Outsourcing jobs? Again, not policy that any younger people forced on an older generation, the older generation created the policies which led to outsourcing.

The 'problems' you cite didn't come about because of young people.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by User 2 View Post
You prove nothing about your so-called 'point'.

The decisions to buy lead paint toys from China? The young people have nothing to do with that, but members of the older generation did.

Outsourcing jobs? Again, not policy that any younger people forced on an older generation, the older generation created the policies which led to outsourcing.

The 'problems' you cite didn't come about because of young people.
So, are you going to let this continue (assuming you are a "young" person)? Or, will you fight to stop globalization before our country is a cesspool?

Old 02-07-2008, 10:40 AM

25,107 posts, read 34,374,882 times
Quote:
So, are you going to let this continue (assuming you are a "young" person)? Or, will you fight to stop globalization before our country is a cesspool?
Let me ask you - are you suggesting that all forms of instant, world wide communication should be stopped?

Are you suggesting that international travel should be stopped or curtailed?

Are you suggesting that no American business should have outlets in any foreign country?

How, exactly, would you suggest that the so-called "globalization" be stopped?

Old 02-07-2008, 10:54 AM

4,514 posts, read 8,603,211 times
Quote:
Let me ask you - are you suggesting that all forms of instant, world wide communication should be stopped?

Are you suggesting that no American business should have outlets in any foreign country?

The anti-immigrant wants to return to the pre-WWII Isolationism. In the future international telephone calls will be monitored by a Customs agent asking for the purpose and listening in to the conversation in the name of anti-terrorism. Going to a website served outside of the United States will bring you to a chat room interface with a customs agent asking questions about the purpose and the agent will monitor your choices.

You won't be able to watch Canadian or Mexican TV signal on the border because a decoder chip has been installed to accept American TV only. (It's not like an American will be able to live in border regions because it's illegal to so to create a buffer zone for the wall, etc.) All in the name of national security! Is this the future we want, the future of fear?

Old 02-07-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:

I'm merely suggesting that we consider our own country first, and not the whole world. We have it nice here, as you must realize, compared to other countries - do you really want to make us all into ONE? Other countries may not have the same ideals that we do and won't be trustworthy - look at the Chinese right now.

I guess the only way to really do this is to elect leaders who want to stop globalization and keep our country's sovereignty. But, I don't think you really want that.

We must keep businesses here, keep the jobs here, stop illegals from depressing our wages, use our tax money for OUR own people, and learn some PRIDE, my friend. We are the BEST country on earth - why does everyone want to come here, pray tell? We have it good - don't let it become a cesspool. Don't think there is any other place on earth that "has it all".

Old 02-07-2008, 11:12 AM

25,107 posts, read 34,374,882 times
Quote:
I guess the only way to really do this is to elect leaders who want to stop globalization and keep our country's sovereignty.
Ok - I respect your opinion. But again, I ask, exactly what would you suggest be done - and try to be specific, to "stop globalization"

For instance: Would you limit the ability of Americans to travel abroad?

Would you prohibit American businesses from establishing outlets of their companies abroad?

Would you limit the ability to have worldwide communications the way we now do?

Would you prohibit Americans from owning property in another country?

And so on -

Exactly how do you suggest the globalization be stopped?

Old 02-07-2008, 11:30 AM

1,252 posts, read 726,740 times
Quote:
(assuming you are a "young" person)?
I've been fighting it since the 50's, so your 'assumption' is as off base as your supposition that it's something to blame on the next generation of young people.

The disrespect for our system of checks and balances, the disregard for the rule of law, and the dishonor of the American way of life has all come as a direct result of actions of the generation presently steering the political policy process.

Trying to blame the ills of todays society on a generation who didn't formulate or enact those policies is sheer lunacy....

....the 'blame' can be directly attributed to the utter apathy, sheer naivete, and inconceivable gullibility of the people who allowed our country to become what it is today.

Those people aren't the young people of today......

Old 02-07-2008, 11:38 AM

440 posts, read 236,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by User 2 View Post
I've been fighting it since the 50's, so your 'assumption' is as off base as your supposition that it's something to blame on the next generation of young people.

The disrespect for our system of checks and balances, the disregard for the rule of law, and the dishonor of the American way of life has all come as a direct result of actions of the generation presently steering the political policy process.

Trying to blame the ills of todays society on a generation who didn't formulate or enact those policies is sheer lunacy....

Those people aren't the young people of today......
....the 'blame' can be directly attributed to the utter apathy, sheer naivete, and inconceivable gullibility of the people who allowed our country to become what it is today.

I have to agree with you on every point. As someone in their 40's, I don't blame the current generation for America's ills, I do however, blame them for not being informed/caring about the consequences that will result from voting for candidates in favor of amnesty. Most young people are bandwagon voters who could care less about the issues, they just want to be able to say they voted for (fill in the blank).

Old 02-07-2008, 12:11 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,619,457 times
Quote:
I'm merely suggesting that we consider our own country first, and not the whole world. We have it nice here, as you must realize, compared to other countries - do you really want to make us all into ONE? Other countries may not have the same ideals that we do and won't be trustworthy - look at the Chinese right now.

I guess the only way to really do this is to elect leaders who want to stop globalization and keep our country's sovereignty. But, I don't think you really want that.

We must keep businesses here, keep the jobs here, stop illegals from depressing our wages, use our tax money for OUR own people, and learn some PRIDE, my friend. We are the BEST country on earth - why does everyone want to come here, pray tell? We have it good - don't let it become a cesspool. Don't think there is any other place on earth that "has it all".
This much I can certainly empathize with. While I can't imagine any way to "shut the world out", there is a HUGE gray area that we COULD address, and we don't seem to be. Illegal imigration, for example, has gone WAY over the top...from the "victimless crime" of 20 years ago to the total TRAVESTY of today. We could crack down HARD on illegal immigration, and still be FAR ABOVE much of the world in "compassion", IMO.

WE could REQUIRE new immigrants (legal ones) to take a short course in the local "culture"..nothing too intrusive, just a few mild "do's and dont's"--and we'd STILL have people "standing in LINE" for a chance to come here. Anyone who thought this was "too much to ask", I think, would have a pretty weak case. I think in MANY cases, the reason noewcomers aren't more inclined to assimilate, is that we OURSELVES have told them, we really don't HAVE a culture---just about "anything goes". Then, of course, we're surprised when they take us up on the offer, and begin to do "anything" they feel like.

We could try to reign in "Political Correctness". Quit using some of these ridiculous, over-the-top silly euphemisms which do so much to deflect the honest discussion of societal problems. They aren't "martyrs", they're mass murderers !.....He isn't a "homeless gentleman", he's a derelict!.....he doesn't have "anger management issues", he BEATS UP his WIFE !!.....he doesn't have "A.D.D.", he's a kid who DISRUPTS the CLASSROOM !!...and so on.

It seems to me we could do a whole lot of 'cracking down', with a good dose of compassion thrown in, and maybe now and then some 'common sense', and STILL be a 'good' country, still give all of our citizens a good chance at the 'good life', and be 'fair but firm' with the rest of the world....and that WOULDN'T mean we're 'mean' or 'racist', it would mean we're a big, powerful country---good to have as an ally, NOT so good to 'attack',....known to be fair and decent, respected by MOST, loved by many, and not overly worried about being hated by a FEW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration