Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2008, 03:39 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times

Advertisements

I don't necessarily buy the statement that young people today aren't as LOYAL as young people of an earlier time were. It's more of a case that they are less prone to blindly "buy into" things today. Young folks today like to understand what they're getting into.
Whereas, on the first day of Marine Corps Boot Camp in 1966, at 0500 hours, a drill instructor might come screaming into the barracks roaring. "ALL RIGHT YOU MAGGOTS, ON YOUR FEET....OUTSIDE, ON THAT GRINDER, ON THE DOUBLE !! MOVE IT ! NOW !!, and the young fellows' ONLY response would have been a terrified "Sir, yes SIR" as they scrambled, Today's recruit might reply, "Sergeant, I realize that you want us outside, and the sooner the better...and I don't BLAME you, because I know it's your job, and you DO have the authority to make that request. My buddies and I would be MORE than happy to comply, if you can only demonstrate to us that there's a good REASON for your request, exactly WHAT your plans are, (should we choose to obey), and what reason you have for DOING this NOW, instead of waiting until after breakfast"...

It's not so much "disloyalty", I don't think, as it is a sort of inquisitve outlook on life.....Today's young folks are just more 'discriminating' than we were, and harder to lead.....get them on your SIDE, though, and they're perfectly willing to help (within reason, of course)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 04:14 PM

440 posts, read 329,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
If by "They", you mean "young Democrats" then yes, I agree with you. Young Democrats seem to think this way. But maybe that is a reflection of the people you are around. I'm 24, and haven't met one person my age who is voting for Hillary or Obama. Most of my friends like Paul. Some think he's a nut. A few like McCain, a few like Thompson, and a handful like Huckabee. One or two liked John Edwards (he's local). Not one friend or acquaintance of mine claims to like Hillary or Obama.

That's what the basis of your conclusion is, right? The opinions of the people you meet?

I applaud you for not being one of the few the uninformed, band wagoneering sheeple in your age group. I am not knocking anybody's choice or political affiliation, I just know what I've seen and heard and most that have been interviewed reply they are voting for Hilary because she's a woman and Obama because he's black and they want to be a part of history being made. The illegal aliens and the DREAMIES are rooting for them because they want amnesty. Obama is my senator and we share a race, I am a woman and Hilary and I share the same sex, but that's where our similiarities begin and end. Does it break my heart that I've waited all my life for a black man of Obama's caliber to have a shot at leading America? Yep. But, because I love America, neither Hilary, nor Obama's liberal agenda is my cup of tea and therefore, I will not vote for either of them.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:29 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preaching2thechoir View Post
I applaud you for not being one of the few the uninformed, band wagoneering sheeple in your age group. I am not knocking anybody's choice or political affiliation, I just know what I've seen and heard and most that have been interviewed reply they are voting for Hilary because she's a woman and Obama because he's black and they want to be a part of history being made. The illegal aliens and the DREAMIES are rooting for them because they want amnesty. Obama is my senator and we share a race, I am a woman and Hilary and I share the same sex, but that's where our similiarities begin and end. Does it break my heart that I've waited all my life for a black man of Obama's caliber to have a shot at leading America? Yep. But, because I love America, neither Hilary, nor Obama's liberal agenda is my cup of tea and therefore, I will not vote for either of them.
Good, heartfelt post. Try not to feel TOO bad. Believe me, there are a LOT of people in that business I wish I DIDN'T share a race with--or a gender--or (in a few cases) a planet. I wonder sometimes if the biggest oxymoron in the WORLD isn't "honest politics"---or "congressional ethics"...

Old 02-09-2008, 08:36 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,867 times
Just wondering if the military now teaches and condones a young recruit trying to rationalize with the enemy before him on the battlefield!! Might be an interesting "experiment", but more than likely would prove fatal.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:42 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Just wondering if the military now teaches and condones a young recruit trying to rationalize with the enemy before him on the battlefield!! Might be an interesting "experiment", but more than likely would prove fatal.
The enemy in Iraq, is training children - 10 - 12 years old, to fire upon our troops.

Imagine, you are faced with a kid - boy or girl, holding a weapon and about to shoot at you. What would you do.

A number of our troops have been injured - or killed, by not shooting first.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:56 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,867 times
Yes, is a terrible situation to be confronted with, killing a child. I cannot imagine the horror of that scenario.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:38 AM

3,432 posts, read 2,949,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The enemy in Iraq, is training children - 10 - 12 years old, to fire upon our troops.

Imagine, you are faced with a kid - boy or girl, holding a weapon and about to shoot at you. What would you do.

A number of our troops have been injured - or killed, by not shooting first.
Yea.. quite sad. I would probably shoot, its either me or them.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:41 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Yea.. quite said. .

Huh????????????

Old 02-09-2008, 10:44 AM

3,432 posts, read 2,949,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Huh????????????
Hey man, I just woke up . I meant 'sad'.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:53 PM

440 posts, read 329,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Good, heartfelt post. Try not to feel TOO bad. Believe me, there are a LOT of people in that business I wish I DIDN'T share a race with--or a gender--or (in a few cases) a planet. I wonder sometimes if the biggest oxymoron in the WORLD isn't "honest politics"---or "congressional ethics"...
Thanks macmeal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration