U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2008, 12:44 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,640,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
Thank you for the complement. I definitely don't deserve it!

I agree with you on the media. But again, it is understandable. The Beeb is much more international but part of the reason is because for a couple of generations the UK was running all around the globe playing "white man's burden." As a consequence, there is still a hang over of British interests around the globe, ex. the Commonwealth.

Your average American in Missouri historically, except in a few isolated situations, hasn't had to worry to much about anything outside the US. The population has been fairly homogeneous for awhile now (not necessarily racially but historically they aren't rubbing shoulders with Gambians). There is of course different situation on the coasts which is probably why people there seem to be much more receptive to internationalism.

One last point; having traveled extensively I can tell you that people around the globe can be just as ignorant about the US as we are about them. I remember the first time I went to Europe, I was living in Northern VA at the time and I had people asking why I wasn't married to my sister. A lot of people in France thought all Americans were fat and ate McDonalds for every meal. I meet some people in Hungary who thought that all Americans were rich and lived on huge estates.

Anyway, I guess my point is that we all could use a little more information about the world
VERY well stated....can't argue with any of it. Having been "around" a bit myself, there is a LOT of interest in MOST countries, in the US and its people (how could you NOT have an opinion about us, as 'dominating' as we are in sheer 'clout'?)..much of it well-meaning, much of it accurate, but much of it ASTOUNDINGLY innacurate, as well. EVERYONE everywhere "knows" about California, New York, and Texas (much of it very stereotypical)...but very FEW foreigners have Indiana or Kansas on their minds (in fact, neither do a lot of 'coastal' Americans).

The favorite "liberal" view, that of an imagined world full of thoughtful, well-informed hookah-smoking overseas 'sophisticates' discussing the finer points of global relationships, contrasted with a population of coon-hunting, racist, stock-car-racing backwoods 'ya-hoos' making up the bulk of the US populace, just isn't at all fair OR accurate. ALL nations have intellectuals, and ALL have their OWN versions of the more 'backward' types as well...(some of whom would make OUR 'hillbillies' look positively LIBERAL by comparison)..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 02:05 PM

132 posts, read 224,025 times
Sure TK. But that has ALWAYS been so.
Why do you think this apparent disparity now exists between American kids and those in the CIVILIZED world ?

EDIT:
Sorry. Mac's post wasn't there when I keyed my pearls of wisdom to TK - so my post might seem more unintelligible than usual - particularly with the change to a new page.
Oh well ..........

Last edited by Auntie Freda; 02-21-2008 at 02:13 PM..

Old 02-21-2008, 03:43 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,640,529 times
Default Techtonic Plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I'd have to say that at least HALF the problems with education stem from the STUDENTS. If you want to learn badly enough, you'll do what is necessary to do so. Study, read books ON YOUR OWN, instead of just what is assigned. Be curious. Learn.
Some years ago I had the pleasure of turning on the local "L.A. Unified School District" TV Channel just in time to catch a 'rap' number, designed and produced by the STUDENTS, who were singing, gyrating, and shimmying through a very CATCHY number titled "Techtonic Plates".

The adults in charge positively GUSHED with enthusiasm at the thought that this production would serve to introduce a "love of geology" into a student body notoriously unmotivated toward studying scientific subjects. They hoped the "catchy lyrics' and 'driving beat' would instill a burning interest in the student body at large, "in terms they could understand", to become interested in earthquakes.

The costumes were great, the dancing was nearly acrobatic, the drum beats were mesmerizing, and, best of all... everything rhymed...Yet still, I was left feeling a gnawing sense of doubt. Such a 'rap' piece might be the ideal way to introduce geology to a reluctant and uninterested group--but would the same technique work 'across-the-board"? Could a 'rap' number be written promoting "Quantum Physics" or "The History of the Middle East conflict"? I'm not sure that it would work. I can't think of anything that rhymes with "Calculus", and Middle Eastern leaders don't normally like to be referred to as "Oil Dudes"....

"Rap" numbers might serve a purpose, but books may STILL have their place...

Old 02-22-2008, 10:27 AM

27,236 posts, read 40,364,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Some years ago I had the pleasure of turning on the local "L.A. Unified School District" TV Channel just in time to catch a 'rap' number, designed and produced by the STUDENTS, who were singing, gyrating, and shimmying through a very CATCHY number titled "Techtonic Plates".

The adults in charge positively GUSHED with enthusiasm at the thought that this production would serve to introduce a "love of geology" into a student body notoriously unmotivated toward studying scientific subjects. They hoped the "catchy lyrics' and 'driving beat' would instill a burning interest in the student body at large, "in terms they could understand", to become interested in earthquakes.

The costumes were great, the dancing was nearly acrobatic, the drum beats were mesmerizing, and, best of all... everything rhymed...Yet still, I was left feeling a gnawing sense of doubt. Such a 'rap' piece might be the ideal way to introduce geology to a reluctant and uninterested group--but would the same technique work 'across-the-board"? Could a 'rap' number be written promoting "Quantum Physics" or "The History of the Middle East conflict"? I'm not sure that it would work. I can't think of anything that rhymes with "Calculus", and Middle Eastern leaders don't normally like to be referred to as "Oil Dudes"....

"Rap" numbers might serve a purpose, but books may STILL have their place...
Um...I did support the concept of READING. And not just stuff on the Internet. In fact, I don't often consider the Internet to be a trusted source for information.

I like to stay current by reading newspapers. The St. Louis Dispatch has the same news as the New York Times as the Miami Herald as the Podunk Gazette...as long as the last one is tied into the AP/UPI syndicate.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
.... I don't often consider the Internet to be a trusted source for information.
I like to stay current by reading .....the Podunk Gazette...
Thank you TK. Best chuckle I've had in years.

PS
The "Internet" is not, in itself, a 'source of information'.
It is an incredibly efficient means of ACCESSING sources of information.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:51 AM

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves.": Bertrand de Jouvenel - (1903-1987)

The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them: George Orwell

To abolish war it is necessary to abolish patriotism, and to abolish patriotism it is necessary first to understand that it is an evil. Tell people that patriotism is bad and most will reply. "Yes, bad patriotism is bad, but mine is good patriotism." : Leo Tolstoy

"Patriotism is the belief your country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." : George Bernard Shaw

"Patriotism is fierce as a fever, pitiless as the grave, blind as a stone and as irrational as a headless hen." -Ambrose Bierce

=
"Patriotism is a religion, the egg from which wars are hatched." : Guy de Maupassant

=
"Patriotism is a menace to liberty.": Emma Goldman

"Patriotism is a pernicious, psychopathic form of idiocy." -George Bernard Shaw

=
Patriotism is a superstition, one far more injurious, brutal and inhumane than religion." -Gustave Herve

=
"Patriotism - the virtue ofthe vicious." -Oscar Wilde

=
"Patriotism is a survival from barbarous times which must not only be evoked and educated but which must be eradicated by all means - by preaching, persuasion, contempt and ridicule." -Leo Tolstoy

=
"You'll never have a quiet world until you knock the patriotism out of the human race." -George Bernard Shaw

"This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism on command, senseless violence and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism." : Albert Einstein

"Patriotism is a superstition artificially created and maintained through a web of lies and falsehoods, robbing us of our dignity and increasing our arrogance and conceit." : Emma Goldman

When a whole nation is roaring patriotism at the top of its voice, I am fain to explore the cleanness of its hands and purity of its heart." : Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 02-29-2008, 12:22 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,433,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Freda View Post
"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves.": Bertrand de Jouvenel - (1903-1987)
Let's see - you are an Aussie - not an American. Therefore, you really cannot really comment on America and loyalty to AMERICA

Besides, it was a member of the Austrailian press that sought to out Prince Harry in Afganistan - in violation of an agreement with the press - and by doing so, not only put His Highness in danger, but those of his comrades. Despicable.

Shows that "You" don't have any loyalty to those of another country anyway

Old 02-29-2008, 01:10 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,364,057 times
I have no loyalty to my government, but to my country. My government has no loyalty for ME, why should I reward it with MY loyalty?

Old 03-01-2008, 01:08 AM

15,756 posts, read 32,583,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Let's see - you are an Aussie - not an American. Therefore, you really cannot really comment on America and loyalty to AMERICA

Besides, it was a member of the Austrailian press that sought to out Prince Harry in Afganistan - in violation of an agreement with the press - and by doing so, not only put His Highness in danger, but those of his comrades. Despicable.

Shows that "You" don't have any loyalty to those of another country anyway
That is kind of odd...She just gave you a whole set of quotes...hmmm you don't say anything about the quotes. Why is that GD?

How about refuting a dozen or so of them? Let us hear you dispute the arguments she puts forth rather than a personal attack.

You can do it GD... go for it...

Old 03-01-2008, 01:14 AM

407 posts, read 715,893 times
I am all for nationalism. I don't think much of anyone who does not have some loyalty to our country. I do agree with TKramer though about the idiot government of ours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration