Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 10:56 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,826,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
I think that the "younger generation", those maybe after the baby boomers, don't understand loyalty to their own country, since they seem to think that globalism is GOOD for We the People of America.

They didn't hear their parents talk about fighting in WWII, and what sacrifices we made to rid the world of dictators who would have taken over the world, and we'd all be speaking German and saying "Heil, Hitler, May He Rest in Peace".

I think this has something to do with how they feel about globalism, and that one shouldn't think of one's own country first. But, we older folks disagree.
Because they have been reading Hillary too much "it takes a village"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 11:07 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,846,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
...and the hoops after perm. resident is granted is every 10 years re apply etc.
You do realize, being married to a Legal Permanent Resident, that the card has a ten-year validity, but the LPR status doesn't expire?...

If the immigrant reaches age 14, the card has to be renewed to get biometric data added, even if it had a later expiration date...

An LPR is also not required to become a citizen, they can remain in that status if they want...

Old 07-28-2011, 08:01 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,316,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Specifically an "Immigrant Visa", not any other type. They can apply in as few as three years if married to a U.S. citizen, five years if not (and one year if in active service in the U.S. military). In common application, the average is a little longer than the minimum.
Why didn't you address the meat of that post which was the unfairness of illegals jumping our borders while those who come here legally meet all the necessary standards to come here rather than correcting some technicality of the visa program in his post?

Old 07-28-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
They seek to justify the actions of those they support. Everyone does it to a degree.
For example in my area there is county that made the map for corruption. Luzerne county. Locals insist it was no big deal every county does the same thing etc.
In another part of the state a few years back a football team got in trouble. The Varsity team sodomized members of the JV. The football fans. They didnt do anything really bad just got carried away . etc.
In many cases these pro-illegals either have family or friends here illegally. To them the laws are unfair because it impacts them. So they seek to justify the actions of the illegal. Citing how hard it is etc. Disregarding the fact that many illegals never even bother trying to apply for a visa. Its too expensive. Once again disregarding the fact that many coyotes charge more than the VISA appl. would have been.
Its the same as speeding. Disregarding the other laws illegals violate. Or justifying by saying well if we gave them a VISA they would commit other crimes.
Well if we raised the speed limit right????
Good post, tinman. I would only add though that I came to know many Hispanics when I was working and even though they had no relatives here illegally they were still advocates for these illegals based on ethnocentricism and because their own ancestors were mostly from Mexico. I just don't get it. I am white and my ancestors were from Ireland and Poland, yet I wouldn't dream of advocating for illegal aliens just because they were white like me or from my ancestor's countries.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:45 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
You do realize, being married to a Legal Permanent Resident, that the card has a ten-year validity, but the LPR status doesn't expire?...

If the immigrant reaches age 14, the card has to be renewed to get biometric data added, even if it had a later expiration date...

An LPR is also not required to become a citizen, they can remain in that status if they want...
Shrug so??? When I go to your house. I dont make the rules you do. I may not like your rules. I can either adapt and accept them or leave. Same principle.
I want to retire to Thailand. I dont agree with all the laws or all the culture.
Do I demand they change for me or do I adapt to them?

Old 07-28-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Shrug so??? When I go to your house. I dont make the rules you do. I may not like your rules. I can either adapt and accept them or leave. Same principle.
I want to retire to Thailand. I dont agree with all the laws or all the culture.
Do I demand they change for me or do I adapt to them?
I couldn't agree more. Glad to see that you don't suffer from the victim mentality syndrone.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:16 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,546,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
I think that the "younger generation", those maybe after the baby boomers, don't understand loyalty to their own country, since they seem to think that globalism is GOOD for We the People of America.

They didn't hear their parents talk about fighting in WWII, and what sacrifices we made to rid the world of dictators who would have taken over the world, and we'd all be speaking German and saying "Heil, Hitler, May He Rest in Peace".

I think this has something to do with how they feel about globalism, and that one shouldn't think of one's own country first. But, we older folks disagree.

JUST LIKE THE REPUBLICAN PARTY, YOUR TYPE IS DYING. The world needs to adapt. The younger generation needs to lead the path with key inputs. We need to become one world under one govt in order to explore space. Without taking this fundamental basic step, we have no business in space exploration. Humans despite our cultural differences, are one. Don;t kid yourself.

The only real option is to populate space. If the world got to work, we should all be focused on colonzing parts of space. It would end tension between the US and the rest of the world, give ppl focus and more opportunties, and create world peace for the yrs to come. Let's face it, at this rate the world will be destroyed due to over population or nuclear war. Instead of accepting this and living as if war is inevitable and abortion is ok in order to "cull the population," all of us should accept human life with pragmatic approach and shift in thinking. Im tired of bickering and fighting and all other nonsense. Ban public displays of religious artifacts and keep it in out hearts and minds.

DONT KID YOURSELF, IT IS ALREADY PROVEN WE CAN LIVE IN SPACE AND WE CAN BUILD A SETTLEMENT ON MARS. HAVE THE INITIAL ECONOMY REVOLVES AROUND MINING AND RESEARCH IN ORDER TO KEEP EARTH CLEAN AND SAFE. MAKE MARS THE LAUNCH PAD TO NEW WORLDS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration