U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 12:07 PM

1,861 posts, read 2,968,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
OK.

I'm curious why you believe globalism is not good for America, or in any way reflects negatively on someone's loyalty to America. From where I'm sitting, globalism (I actually prefer to call it globalization - I think of it as an inevitable process, not an ideology) makes America a wealthier and more stable country in a wealthier and more stable world.

Do you disagree with the theory of Comparative advantage? Do you think that it doesn't apply to today's globalism?
I don't think it's inevitable at ALL. It's all man-made. It makes the rich richer and the poor poorer. The final point of the whole thing is an elitist group with the money and the rest of us poor peasants slaving away for them. Wealthy America? Yeah - for some. Not most.

I have no idea what "comparative advantage" is. Is that some newfangled theory your teachers are teaching you now?

It's disloyalty to America if globalism leads to one-world government, and no sovereignty for our country. That's what it seems to be leading to. I like having my own country, rather than having it thrown together with everyone else. But, that's just my preference. Maybe that's going out of style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 12:15 PM

1,252 posts, read 726,112 times
The whole premise of the thread is bunk...

The younger generation are who are fighting the wars started by the older generation.

We are suffering the globalism and free trade schemes of the Reaganites and their followers.

If any disloyalty should be examined, it's the false loyalty of an older generation who only hide behind the flag while they line their own pockets and bankrupt the country, both morally and fiscally.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:23 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,366,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
There is no sense of "ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." They are too self-absorbed and entitled.
Excellent observation. Thank you.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:29 PM

2,356 posts, read 2,460,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
I don't think it's inevitable at ALL. It's all man-made.
Well, globalization is happening right now. It was happening before either of us were born, and it happened before the U.S. was even a nation. I can't stop it. You can't stop it. Our government can't stop it. I consider that to be inevitability.

If you think it is avoidable, by what means are we going to avoid it?

Quote:
It makes the rich richer and the poor poorer. The final point of the whole thing is an elitist group with the money and the rest of us poor peasants slaving away for them. Wealthy America? Yeah - for some. Not most.
It makes the prepared richer, and the unprepared poorer. It has no "point" - it is the tangible result of all the advances of education, science, technology, communication, transportation, et cetera.

Quote:
I have no idea what "comparative advantage" is. Is that some newfangled theory your teachers are teaching you now?
It's an economic theory that says "Globalization (even the loss of manufacturing) makes our country wealthier in the long run." Some people believe it, some people don't. My mind isn't made up about it. I've heard good arguments for both sides, and since you thought globalization was bad for our country, I figured that maybe you had some input.

Quote:
It's disloyalty to America if globalism leads to one-world government, and no sovereignty for our country.
I don't think that globalization necessarily leads to one world government. It could if we wanted it to, but I don't know anyone who supports that. I think that the U.S. losing its soverignity would be a very bad thing, but I don't see why globalization must lead to that.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:43 PM

2,370 posts, read 6,855,441 times
Funny thing is, whenever I see anti-globalization protests on the news, it's always us younger folks out there giving voice against it. I've never any baby boomers out there in the streets fighting back against the attacks on our economic soveriegnty. Perhaps you can argue (effectively I might add) that you've already fought that fight. I think there are plenty of people my age and younger fighting the fight now. It just so happens that last few wars this country has fought were/are more about cultural imperialism than anything else. And what pray tell is cultural imperialism but a form of globalization with a decidely American twist? It's not the younger generation that has no loyalty, it's the leaders we're electing.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:53 PM

3,717 posts, read 5,097,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Of course it's a generalization; the whole thread is. In fact, any discussion on this forum about liberals, conservatives, rich, poor etc. contain generalizations. From now on, I'll put an * with a statement at the bottom saying that I realize this does not apply to all members of the group identified.
You just pointed out some of my biggest issues with this forum. I personally try not to add to the problem by not making such generalizations. There's no reason why you'd have to.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:55 PM

3,717 posts, read 5,097,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Excellent observation. Thank you.
Oh, so you support unfair blanket statements about young people as well.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:57 PM

1,393 posts, read 2,490,525 times
Quote:
I agree!

And many old people are poorly educated about today's issues, carry a sense of entitlement, and make decisions that hurt their children and grandchildren.

Every generation could stand to learn a little bit.

Hey, defense is a natural response to offense I love my grandparents. I just don't buy into this "blame so-and-so generation." People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
That has to be the biggest ball of crap I have ever read here! I don't think it's the "old people" that sit around everyday waiting for the next show of American idol to come on...

And just what issue is that you think the "OLD" guy is not up on ?

It might be just that time for you sit down clean out your damn ears and listen to your "OLD" grandparents, you might just learn that they are more up on todays issues then you think....AND THIS IS FROM AN "OLD" PERSON.... And living in glass houses works both ways, youngster.....

Old 02-06-2008, 01:03 PM

9,742 posts, read 9,061,455 times
Quote:
I'm curious why you associate globalism with "selling out." Do you disagree with the theory of Comparative advantage? Do you think that it doesn't apply to today's globalism?
Comparative advantage theory does not assign a monetary value to labor. Since today's globalism is entirely directed by cost of labor, no, comparative advantage does not apply to today's globalism.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:14 PM

1,861 posts, read 2,968,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
Funny thing is, whenever I see anti-globalization protests on the news, it's always us younger folks out there giving voice against it. I've never any baby boomers out there in the streets fighting back against the attacks on our economic soveriegnty. Perhaps you can argue (effectively I might add) that you've already fought that fight. I think there are plenty of people my age and younger fighting the fight now. It just so happens that last few wars this country has fought were/are more about cultural imperialism than anything else. And what pray tell is cultural imperialism but a form of globalization with a decidely American twist? It's not the younger generation that has no loyalty, it's the leaders we're electing.
I'm glad to hear that. We Baby Boomers have bad knees, bad eyesight, arthritis in our joints, etc. It's hard to go out there and do that when you're older, believe me. It's enough I can hobble up out of bed every morning for my 12-hour day.

I did lots of protesting as to what I thought was right at the time. Geez, I used to be able to walk for miles, be in big crowds being pushed around, screaming my lungs out. No more.

I also agree that our leaders have no loyalty to America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration