U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 02:23 PM

1,393 posts, read 2,490,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
No, they sit around everyday waiting for Matlock to come on.

I kid. Seriously, though, you're misinterpreting my post. Someone pointed out a variety of (true) problems with "most young people." My post was a reminder that "most old people" aren't so sharp either.

I believe I said, "Many old people." This was in response to allegations made about "Many young people." But I'll take a stab, my opinion is that "many old people" have bad, uninformed, apathetic, or incomplete opinons about:

-Global perceptions of America
-the country's role in international nation-building
-The causes and solutions to air pollution
-The causes and solutions to water pollution
-The causes and solutions to the decline in biodiversity
-Net Neutrality
-Electronic voting
-The "Business" of religion, and its role in government/politics
-Homosexuality in America
-The War on Drugs
-The Role of gov't in substance abuse
-The mismanagement of copyright laws, intellectual property, and technology patents by the USPTO.
-The role of the USPTO in stifling innovation
-The "Protect America Act," and how it erodes privacy
-The DMCA, and its effect on consumer rights

I base this on a variety of things, including the decisions made by politicians that old people tend to vote for.

Yesterday I had an afternoon long discussion about politics with my 82-year-old uncle, and his 50-ish friend. I do more than my fair share of listening. I just think you are taking my post out of context.
Let me sum it up this, I'd rather have a 50 to 65 year old running this country anyday before I'd have the American Idol set running it.

Believe it or not just one example, we old people do care about the air we breathe, and just not for ourselfs, butfor our children and their children too.

My kids don't take drugs and nither do I. So I don't need the government fighting drugs for me....Teach your kids the right thing and you wont either.

Protect America Act, maybe we may just have to give up a few freedoms to protect to bigger freedom, I'm not sure yet, and there is noway you can be either.

Homosexuality in America, each person has a right to believe it is right or wrong and I don't need my government telling either way.

Net Neutrality....yes it should be netural and free for open thought. And At&T and Time Warner and Comcast should not be able to control it..

The "Business" of religion, and its role in government/politics...Some do and some don't....Those that want it could say the same about those that don't.

Electronic voting..I don't even see why you listed this....it's the new way and I like it...but some don't ....so what...

The causes and solutions...to all of these, the cause is not that hard to see, it's fixing them that is and what makes anyone think OLD people don't want them fixed....we use the same water and air the young do.

The mismanagement of copyright laws, intellectual property, and technology patents by the USPTO.....This really has no effect on me as it dosen't on most people young or old, so what's the big deal...because I don't want to steal someones copyrighted work over the internet.

Global perceptions of America
-the country's role in international nation-building...and you don't think we care about these two? Well we do.....If you stop and think we the old were the ones that built this country when it was so well thought of and we don't want it torn down or given away to a third world country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 02:24 PM

23 posts, read 77,505 times
To the original poster...

I can't speak for every young person in this nation, but I for one would shed every drop of blood in my body for 'ole Glory. I'd take a thousand bullets and burn in hell to defend my country. Simple as that. I do not beleive in globalization, I beleive in a strong America where we fight to keep it free. I understand what it means to be an American, and I understand fully that I'd die for the right to call myself an American!

Old 02-06-2008, 02:31 PM

1,393 posts, read 2,490,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarityFuture View Post

I can't speak for every young person in this nation, but I for one would shed every drop of blood in my body for 'ole Glory. I'd take a thousand bullets and burn in hell to defend my country. Simple as that. I do not beleive in globalization, I beleive in a strong America where we fight to keep it free. I understand what it means to be an American, and I understand fully that I'd die for the right to call myself an American!
Thank you..

Old 02-06-2008, 02:34 PM

2,370 posts, read 6,854,459 times
Quote:

Personally I wouldn't quite go that far, there is a higher ideal or two in my mind than my flag but otherwise, I typically concur.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:37 PM

I would. Knowing that our nation's children and our children's children will be able to live in this free and great nation as we have and not be oppressed by a dictatorship, it'd be worth it in my book.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:39 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,361,805 times
Quote:

I also Thank you!

Old 02-06-2008, 02:40 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,361,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
Personally I wouldn't quite go that far, there is a higher ideal or two in my mind than my flag but otherwise, .
I would also

Old 02-06-2008, 02:48 PM

Without bringing overly much religion to the table, if you guys are willing to give up your eternal soul for this country, more power to you. Personally, I don't think (I sure hope) that nothing my country ever asked of me to defend it would imply in my heart and soul that I would burn in hell for doing it!

Old 02-06-2008, 02:51 PM

It's more of getting a point across than actually burning in hell for your country...Of course you would never have to...But what I am saying is that I'd endure any hardship, go through any suffering and give up anything and everything for the wellbeing of my Country

Old 02-06-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
It's more of getting a point across than actually burning in hell for your country...Of course you would never have to...But what I am saying is that I'd endure any hardship, go through any suffering and give up anything and everything for the wellbeing of my Country
I know, and I understood that but I couldn't in all honesty say I agreed with the entire post when I conceived of a hypothetical (and hopefully ridiculous) condition whereby it might happen. I really wasn't trying to be obtuse or a prick but I have a habit of never saying anything of that particular nature...I'm just odd like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration