Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2008, 09:30 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times

Advertisements

Also remember that Globalism is bi-directional.

Could you imagine the billions US would lose out on if Boeing, Lockheed and Northrop Grumman were not selling defense and commercial grade aircraft to other countries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 09:33 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,342,130 times
All this discussion has actually proved the point of the OT.

All I was trying to say originally was that young people don't seem to care about their particular country - they don't have that patriotism that older people have. And, I believe, that's part of our downfall.

Why the heck, for example, are we even dealing with the Chinese Communists who put poison in the toys we buy? Or, with India, by giving them our jobs so that we go hungry here? Gimme a break.

Think of America first, or you'll just have a 3rd world cesspool in the future. That's what our future holds, if this so-called "globalization" continues, "inevitable" or not.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:35 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
As a consumer, I am not buying a Harley Davidson if I like the Yamaha better and it is cheaper, sorry.
I drive a Toyota pickup, but, as an American, and a graduate of our public school system, I DO have some guilt that I'm "Helping the Economy of China" by doing so...

Old 02-07-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Not so much that--I'm talking about freedoms. If we have another terrorist incident, it's possible we'll have no choice but to SEVERERLY profile people. If sentiment against illegals doesn't settle down soon, it could be that ALL of us will be ASSUMED to be illegal, and will be required to be able to "prove" that we're NOT.
It's impossible to sort out the "bad guys" in a free society. THe only way to "find them" is to LOOK---and you can imagine what THAT might mean.
I've even noticed more prejudice these days against Hispanics. Wrong as that is, it's PARTIALLY fuleled by the fact of the millions of illegals here. Anyone who has a "gripe" against Hispanics does have SOME argument--(the fact that millions of them ARE, in fact, illegal). Hispanics are already, to a certain extent, among some elements of society, being asked to "prove" they belong here (thus the hateful term "legal Hispanic"). Nasty as this may be, the "racists" wouldn't have an argument if all Hispanics were here LEGALLY.

(Of course, the racists would come up with ANOTHER reason to hate Hispanics...but at least they'd look a lot 'sillier' than they do now)..

Ahh yes, well freedoms will no doubt be restricted, right now Latin America relies much upon United States but I think that bell curve is flattening out. Who knows with Brazil and Mexicos economies booming, Castro dies...we might just rely on Latin America some day. It is best for us all to come together IMO. Some Americans fail to recognize Latin Americas progress.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:45 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
Think of America first, or you'll just have a 3rd world cesspool in the future. That's what our future holds, if this so-called "globalization" continues, "inevitable" or not.
That's the point I'm always trying to make in my posts. There's a certain school of thought that holds that the Human Race just can't exist forever in a free, liberal, and open society---that it's simply mankind's lot to live in a series of dictatorships.

Our current fascination with multiculturalism seems to bear this out. Having done tremendous good and brought freedom and prosperity to much of the world, we'tre now seemingly determined to VOLUNTARILY throw it all away. Our own guilt and self-doubt may well lead to our downfall. We don't "like ourselves" much anymore, and our "neighbors" are quick to agree.

No society in HISTORY has ever willingly opened its borders and its economy to outsiders, and allowed anyone and everyone "free access", without requiring something in return. NO society has EVER allowed immigration without assimilation, until very recent decades.

There's a good possibility our type of free society is simply unsustainable--period. No one knows, because no one has ever "done this" before....we'll have to see.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:04 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
We'd have to start thinking in terms of America first, and quit worrying about other countries. It's a matter of becoming isolationists. Now, what's your plan?

My father shopped at the grocery store in 1930, and drove a car in 1937, he didn't have internet, but you can do those other things without globalization. In fact, the products were made in America!! Imagine that.

The internet is a good and a bad thing - lots of kids today don't have any idea how to deal with other people face-to-face. Of course, we all use it, just like we all use telephones. Do telephones mean I'm a globalist, too?
Did your father also enjoy vacations abroad? Did he enjoy music from artists in Europe?

Did he enjoy Tulips from Holland?

Old 02-07-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
As a consumer, I am not buying a Harley Davidson if I like the Yamaha better and it is cheaper, sorry.
Why not? The Harley is better made and stronger

Old 02-07-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Because, folks, it's NOT a good world today. It does not work except for the rich - globalization is for that reason only - it's
I totally disagree - It's a great world. Life is good!

The ability to travel and explore other cultures and countries alone makes it a fantastic world!

There is so much to see - to do - to touch - to hear - to smell - to enjoy.

No - it's a great world out there

Go and enjoy it

Old 02-07-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Why not? The Harley is better made and stronger
I just like the styling of the Yamaha better, I like Honda's better too.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
We will find out because you are not going to stop globalism, so the whole topic is irrelevant, you are not going to stop it , you are not going to stop it, repeat repeat 1...N times.

Not trying to be a "meany", but I think stopping globalism is right up there with stopping the internet.
To the Negative Rep I received for saying "Prick" I am sorry, it is a somewhat vulgar word and for you I have replaced it with "meany".

Please forgive me, I was in the Navy... sailor mouth sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration