Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 02:02 AM

20 posts, read 11,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquabluesrq View Post
I hope this is a level. That is their job. This is about day to day youths who would only fight for this nation if it was on call of duty xbox etc...
You do know we have a volunteer army right? They have to willingly sign up and then "do their job". So yea they have been fighting 2 1/2 wars of their own will. If you mean why didn't everyone rush to the recruiter, I imagine it is because they don't see the War on Terror as an extensional threat.

Quote:
The entitlement generation wouldn't even pull over to help an old lady change a flat tire, let alone fight for their country. They are too selfish.
The entitlement generation is the nation that, you know, passed entitlements and asked for more entitlements. See also: "The greatest generation". The current and the younger generation are going to have to live with "austerity" because of the entitlements of their forefathers.

Quote:
Their is no hope for this nation. American History isnt even taught anymore.

Kids today do not even know who Babe Ruth or Henry Ford is, let alone Thomas Jefferson or Ben Franklin.
Yea I'll just chalk this up to hysteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 08:21 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,491,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
I think that the "younger generation", those maybe after the baby boomers, don't understand loyalty to their own country, since they seem to think that globalism is GOOD for We the People of America.

They didn't hear their parents talk about fighting in WWII, and what sacrifices we made to rid the world of dictators who would have taken over the world, and we'd all be speaking German and saying "Heil, Hitler, May He Rest in Peace".

I think this has something to do with how they feel about globalism, and that one shouldn't think of one's own country first. But, we older folks disagree.
Many of my older friends and there parents, Im 41, had NO like for the USA cause they remember Vietnam. People change.

I WANTED amnesty for illegal aliens. No more cause they did a lot of stupid stuff like the rallys in 2006.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:34 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,211,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquabluesrq View Post
I hope this is a level. That is their job. This is about day to day youths who would only fight for this nation if it was on call of duty xbox etc...

The entitlement generation wouldn't even pull over to help an old lady change a flat tire, let alone fight for their country. They are too selfish.

Their is no hope for this nation. American History isnt even taught anymore.

Kids today do not even know who Babe Ruth or Henry Ford is, let alone Thomas Jefferson or Ben Franklin.
Just FYI, kids today, while undoubtedly ignoring your shouts to get off of your lawn, are almost certainly learning all of these things (except maybe Babe Ruth - who the hell thinks that he is that important?) and more than you did as a child.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:35 PM

321 posts, read 362,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Just FYI, kids today, while undoubtedly ignoring your shouts to get off of your lawn, are almost certainly learning all of these things (except maybe Babe Ruth - who the hell thinks that he is that important?) and more than you did as a child.
I cede Babe Ruth being important obv. But seriously, with regards to the youth of today- I think they are set up for failure. In their defense, look at the economic climate and the future of this nation. We are going backwards.

With all economic indicators pointing to the next decade being really tough, it will require much more effort to succeed for this generation.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:39 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
I wouldn't say they have no loyalty. I would say that they lack experience and have a flawed idealistic perspective.
If we are nice then everyone will be nice to us.
If we are bad then do something good we will be forgiven.
We owe the world because we have done some questionable things in our history.
The only problem is that in today's PC environment they tend to gloss over the fact that we have also done many many good things for the world.
We see in headlines when a soldier goes rogue. How often to we see weeks of headlines when soldiers and sailors donate their time to rebuild or improve an orphanage? never.
We all had different ideas as youths compared to the ideas and beliefs we hold as mature adults.
I once had the my country wrong or right attitude. I also believed that Israel was the good guys and the victims.
I've since changed my views on this. Time spent training with the IDF helped to modify that. LOL
In regards to immigration. Being married to a legal immigrant has opened my eyes to a good many things.
Mostly to how poorly organised the system is. But also it has hardened my views of those who disregard these laws. If so many can find a way to do it the right way I really can't excuse those who simply cheat.
My most eye opening experience was when my wife had her ceremony to become a citizen. 70 people from 32 different countries were sworn in that day. From what I understand they average 3 or 4 groups a day of the same size.
210 a day in 1 location of people who found a way to honor our country and respect our laws. How can anyone who witnessed the emotion and meet the honest immigrant citizens ever believe that we should reward those who cheated by granting them this gift?

Old 07-25-2011, 11:41 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,193,246 times
Quote:
I think that the "younger generation", those maybe after the baby boomers, don't understand loyalty to their own country, since they seem to think that globalism is GOOD for We the People of America.
The young people of the country are waiting for you to back up your tirade about globalism. Feel free to man up and explain in adult words why you think protectionism is better. Also please feel free to explain why you disagree with economists who say there is a deadweight loss associated with trade barriers.

Quote:
I wouldn't say they have no loyalty. I would say that they lack experience and have a flawed idealistic perspective.
I'd say you're saying the same thing that every generation of mankind has always said. Good job on being a walking cliche.

Quote:
I WANTED amnesty for illegal aliens. No more cause they did a lot of stupid stuff like the rallys in 2006.
Why are you that emotion driven? Seriously, amnesty either makes sense or it doesn't. Why the flip flopping?

I should also point out to all of you old, angry people who voted in droves for GWB, that the Call of Duty young people types are the ones spilling their blood in a place where we shouldn't have been in the first place all while you people won't even allow them to have a beer. Please show some respect.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:27 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
The young people of the country are waiting for you to back up your tirade about globalism. Feel free to man up and explain in adult words why you think protectionism is better. Also please feel free to explain why you disagree with economists who say there is a deadweight loss associated with trade barriers.

I'd say you're saying the same thing that every generation of mankind has always said. Good job on being a walking cliche.

Why are you that emotion driven? Seriously, amnesty either makes sense or it doesn't. Why the flip flopping?

I should also point out to all of you old, angry people who voted in droves for GWB, that the Call of Duty young people types are the ones spilling their blood in a place where we shouldn't have been in the first place all while you people won't even allow them to have a beer. Please show some respect.
We can't protect our own American workers while trading with other countries in a global world? In case yo don't know it we have a trade deficit.

I do however respect our military personnel who joined because they are loyal Americans to our country. What's up with the beer remark?

What makes you think that it is only old people who are angry at the state of our nation today? I am a senior and I despised Bush but I still have Republican values. I was also opposed to the war in Iraq and all this useless spending on foreign shores while our own borders remain wide open. Talk about stereotyping our elderly, this is a good one. Yeah, Obama is doing such a great job, isn't he? We are in the worst financial mess that we have ever been in.

What does any of this have to do with illegal immigration anyway?

Old 07-26-2011, 11:09 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,193,246 times
Let me summarize your post. You don't know enough about economics to even understand my post.

You forget that plenty of people are dying yet it's old, conservative people like yourself that have made sure that the alcohol laws in this country resemble that of Saudi Arabia.

There was nothing I said that said old people were the only angry ones. Please feel free to quote my post if you disagree.

FYI, the guy sitting in office right now INHERITED the financial mess. Jesus Christ himself couldn't do any better nor could any Republican president. Let's see, the sitting president gets handed an economic collapse and you want to blame the current guy. That makes a lot of sense.

I guess I can sit back and smile and know that the Republicans that you're voting for will be cutting your SS and Medicare. It'll get done in place of raising the taxes on the upper part of my income.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:37 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,120,864 times
Quote:

They didn't hear their parents talk about fighting in WWII, and what sacrifices we made to rid the world of dictators who would have taken over the world, and we'd all be speaking German and saying "Heil, Hitler, May He Rest in Peace".

I think this has something to do with how they feel about globalism, and that one shouldn't think of one's own country first. But, we older folks disagree.
And that's why you're older folks. You're frozen at a certain point in history.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:18 AM

321 posts, read 362,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
And that's why you're older folks. You're frozen at a certain point in history.
How is california's progressive, liberal policies treating the state?

They are broke. But you know this already since you live there.

enjoy your high taxes, exportation of all businesses, and the upcoming complete meltdown of your state. California is a failure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration