U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-17-2016, 11:41 PM
 
Location: Chanute, KS
302 posts, read 341,662 times
Reputation: 869

Advertisements

I was reading an article about Ted Cruz, and how he could not be president because he was born in Canada, although he is a naturalized citizen. This got me thinking...

Since Anchor Babies are born on American soil thus making them American citizens, it is possible that one could run for and be elected President. This really cheeses me off! Even though their parents are illegal law breakers, with no business being here in the first place, they could be president. How, on God's green earth, can this be okay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-17-2016, 11:52 PM
 
764 posts, read 495,233 times
Reputation: 687
The Constitution of the United States only puts requirements on the candidate. It does place requirements on family members of the candidate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2016, 03:31 AM
 
24,511 posts, read 34,115,918 times
Reputation: 12779
The requirements only identify who can be a candidate. The candidate still needs to get elected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2016, 04:48 AM
 
5,644 posts, read 3,192,670 times
Reputation: 6627
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKittehs View Post
I was reading an article about Ted Cruz, and how he could not be president because he was born in Canada, although he is a naturalized citizen. This got me thinking...

Since Anchor Babies are born on American soil thus making them American citizens, it is possible that one could run for and be elected President. This really cheeses me off! Even though their parents are illegal law breakers, with no business being here in the first place, they could be president. How, on God's green earth, can this be okay?
Questions have been raised on this issue regarding Rubio. Both his parents were Cuban citizens (refugees?) when he was born here. They were not naturalized until 4 years after his birth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2016, 06:38 AM
 
31,471 posts, read 14,559,147 times
Reputation: 8348
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKittehs View Post
I was reading an article about Ted Cruz, and how he could not be president because he was born in Canada, although he is a naturalized citizen. This got me thinking...

Since Anchor Babies are born on American soil thus making them American citizens, it is possible that one could run for and be elected President. This really cheeses me off! Even though their parents are illegal law breakers, with no business being here in the first place, they could be president. How, on God's green earth, can this be okay?

Once birthright citizenship is reviewed by the Supreme Court they will find that children of illegal aliens born on our soil were never meant to gain our citizenship. No more anchor babies. It can't happen too soon. Either that or this bill needs to pass.


https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-...ouse-bill/140/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2016, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Kansas
19,189 posts, read 14,057,966 times
Reputation: 18141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Once birthright citizenship is reviewed by the Supreme Court they will find that children of illegal aliens born on our soil were never meant to gain our citizenship. No more anchor babies. It can't happen too soon. Either that or this bill needs to pass.


https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-...ouse-bill/140/
Thanks for that! I'll let my congressmen know that I want this passed. They are already aware of what I think of the illegals sucking down taxpayers dollars here.

I don't think either Cruz or Rubio are "natural born" citizens. I do think we need a requirement that both parents be US citizens when the child is born to qualify as "natural born". Oh, that means my granddaughter couldn't be POTUS. Oh, well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2016, 01:22 PM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,278,864 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Thanks for that! I'll let my congressmen know that I want this passed. They are already aware of what I think of the illegals sucking down taxpayers dollars here.

I don't think either Cruz or Rubio are "natural born" citizens. I do think we need a requirement that both parents be US citizens when the child is born to qualify as "natural born". Oh, that means my granddaughter couldn't be POTUS. Oh, well.
Uh; "both" parents being US citizens I DO have a problem with since an American woman might go out of country and, have sex with a "local" dude becoming preggers. Her kid's born in the US and the father can't be found, that ain't fair to the kid. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2016, 02:54 PM
 
11,630 posts, read 3,242,043 times
Reputation: 3564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; "both" parents being US citizens I DO have a problem with since an American woman might go out of country and, have sex with a "local" dude becoming preggers. Her kid's born in the US and the father can't be found, that ain't fair to the kid. Period.

But the kid born abroad could be a citizen at birth but not have to be considered natural born. If both parents are US citizens, I could accept natural born for a baby born abroad, but still think the constitution needs amended to redefine natural born.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2016, 03:03 PM
 
11,630 posts, read 3,242,043 times
Reputation: 3564
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

I don't think either Cruz or Rubio are "natural born" citizens. I do think we need a requirement that both parents be US citizens when the child is born to qualify as "natural born". Oh, that means my granddaughter couldn't be POTUS. Oh, well.

I agree. To be considered natural born should be born on US soil to at least one parent who is a citizen, and both parent citizen if born abroad.


I don't think legal residents' who aren't citizens children should be granted citizenship just because they are born on US soil. Certainly illegal residents or visa overstay should not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top