U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-07-2008, 10:18 AM

4,134 posts, read 2,668,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthMother1951 View Post
Always remember that Lincoln had no problem sweeping away any law or right he had a problem with. Seems that so many are willing to do such things.
I am glad I'm not the only one who'd noticed that!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 10:21 AM

7,819 posts, read 15,287,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd78 View Post
Once again, the 14th amendment's intent was to grant citizenship to freed slaves in the civil war ear. It is being misinterpreted and was not meant to be a means of illegal immigration.
Absolutely, sbd . . . the 14th Amendment has been ABUSED for much too long.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:53 AM

7,776 posts, read 5,052,380 times
Anchor Baby Power

If you watch the video, take note of the school children screaming, "Mexico...Mexico..."

A new generation of Americans. There you have it.

Note to those claiming "anchor baby" is derogatory: If the term is so demeaning, why do these pro-illegals use it themselves?

Last edited by nvxplorer; 02-07-2008 at 11:06 AM..

Old 02-07-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
That is why the immigration laws need to be changed.
You're joking, right?

You responded to this:

Quote:
Just because something is 'the law' does not mean said law cannor be changed as needed.

Witness the old Jim Crow laws against 'people of color' till they were declared unconstitutional in the 1960's.
Are you really suggesting that immigration laws are unconstitutional?

Old 02-07-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
To blacknight04's point of this thread, touche'.

Too many times when discussing immigration laws on this board I have heard "the law is the law" the immigrants are illegal, deport them.

I even have negative reps saying: "promoting the breaking of US Federal Laws" LOL.

Well here we are, law is the law, the derogatory term "anchor babies" is law, you are promoting the breaking of laws.
Wow!

*head slowly stops spinning*

Who is promoting the breaking of laws? What on earth are you talking about?

Old 02-07-2008, 11:25 AM

4,134 posts, read 2,668,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Not sure, but I hear Arizona might put the issue on a state ballot vote. I really hope this happens so the courts will have to deal with this quagmire.
I wouldn't count on it. CA tried in '94. Proposition 187 passed easily and went into effect the very next day. Unfortunately, the FEDERAL courts decided it was somehow illegal according to the 14th and it was thrown out. Hospitals in SoCal have been closing one-by-one ever since. 187 rotted in the courts for 4 more years until the newly elected Governor Gray Davis sent it to arbitration where it died. This was one of the many little tricks that Davis pulled to screw Californians and greatly contributed to a recall election. Davis wasn't a bad man but he just made too many really big mistakes. That's when we replaced a politician with a movie star who also eventually seems to have just stopped trying. Everything he's tried had been stonewalled at the federal level. He's scrambling for money to save us with ideas that aren't in our best long term interests because we have to keep pouring truckloads of money into our massive illegal problem. Even now the gubment won't allow us to regulate our own vehicle emissions standards. We have to breathe the crap that floats across the Ocean from China and India and we aren't even allowed to clean up the air we (and eventually half the rest of the country) have to breathe. I suppose clean air might reduce our disproportionately high number lung problems and that would cut into the pharmaceutical profits.

All the border states want to put an end to this invasion because it's bankrupting them. The Federal government won't allow them to protect their own borders but won't supply the funds we are forced to dole out to support them. If the farms were forced to compete in a real market and pay actual wages to legal people... We have thousands of kids and poorly educated who can't find work because even the big companies are hiring illegals and paying under the table. Raids are turning up illegals in places like McDonalds for crap sake! Employers get a slap on the hand. They save so much on payroll, the token fines are nothing more than another tax deduction. Yes, fines for breaking the law are tax deductible!

Illegals are good for the agro industry profit margins and unless we stop electing politicians who are in bed with the massive farming industry, nothing is going to change.

I can only hope the Arizona law is written better than 187 was. But since 187 has already provided a precedent, I wouldn't hold my breath.

We are dealing with a government that supports exporting jobs, supports illegal immigration, and refuses to stop the import of thousands of Chinese goods that are not only poisonous but are mostly patent violations. Want to steal someone's invention? All you need to do is send your stolen designs to a Chinese manufacturer and they will build it and no one will stop you from selling it here.

We the people are clearly not in charge.

You may now flame at will.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:38 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,242,436 times
Quote:

Too many times when discussing immigration laws on this board I have heard "the law is the law" the immigrants are illegal, deport them.

I even have negative reps saying: "promoting the breaking of US Federal Laws" LOL.

Well here we are, law is the law, the derogatory term "anchor babies" is law, you are promoting the breaking of laws.
There's a LITTLE bit of a difference:

Pro-illegals: Disagree with immigration laws, think they are unfair. Illegal immgrants by the millions IGNORING immigration laws. Pro-illegals supporting law breaking.

Anti-illegals: Disagree with the birthright citizenship law. Law is being FOLLOWED UNTIL CHANGED. No one is IGNORING the birthright citizenship law because they don't agree with it.

So yes, touche' indeed.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:31 PM

21,157 posts, read 25,592,947 times
Quote:

Bottom line:

The Anchor Baby rule needs to be rescinded if both parents are here illegally.

Grandfather those Anchers presently here as US citizens (deport their parents, obviously) but no 'new' births would qualify for that perk.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:48 PM

440 posts, read 12,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Bottom line:

The Anchor Baby rule needs to be rescinded if both parents are here illegally.

Grandfather those Anchers presently here as US citizens (deport their parents, obviously) but no 'new' births would qualify for that perk.
As a descendant of slaves, I couldn't agree more. I've written both my treasonous senators, Obama and Durbin letters and emails to the effect. The response? A form letter inviting me to come all the way to Washington and have coffee and donuts with them, of course at my own expense.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:05 PM

3,712 posts, read 3,999,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preaching2thechoir View Post
As a descendant of slaves, I couldn't agree more. I've written both my treasonous senators, Obama and Durbin letters and emails to the effect. The response? A form letter inviting me to come all the way to Washington and have coffee and donuts with them, of course at my own expense.
OMG! I write to the two traitors also and get the same letter inviting me to DC for coffee and donuts. If you ever decide to go, let me know. We can pool our expenses to save money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration