U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-08-2008, 08:06 PM
 
Location: Missouri of course
407 posts, read 714,770 times
Reputation: 142

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
I was going to say half correct, but actually totally incorrect. In the time the settlers came, there was no way in hell they could do anything back home in the face of being executed, talking entire families here. Mexicans and others don't have that prospect now, they come for more cheese, plain and simple. Secondly when the settlers came, they inevitably crafted this country to purposely not be anything like their countries back home. My proof, The United States Constitution.
The facts are that it seems that pro-illegal people want desperately to make the analogy of the illegals to civil rights and other assorted ridiculous things. They are all wrong but they continue to make excuses and to make even more analogies for the criminals they love so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-08-2008, 08:32 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
I was going to say half correct, but actually totally incorrect. In the time the settlers came, there was no way in hell they could do anything back home in the face of being executed, talking entire families here. Mexicans and others don't have that prospect now, they come for more cheese, plain and simple. Secondly when the settlers came, they inevitably crafted this country to purposely not be anything like their countries back home. My proof, The United States Constitution.
Very true: such individuals would have qualified as political refugees today as well-------no matter their race/ethnicity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2008, 08:49 PM
 
Location: Martinsville, NJ
6,159 posts, read 10,893,123 times
Reputation: 3939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
To blacknight04's point of this thread, touche'.

Too many times when discussing immigration laws on this board I have heard "the law is the law" the immigrants are illegal, deport them.

I even have negative reps saying: "promoting the breaking of US Federal Laws" LOL.

Well here we are, law is the law, the derogatory term "anchor babies" is law, you are promoting the breaking of laws.
I didn't see anyone say BREAK the law. I've seen many people say CHANGE the law. The first is illegal. The second is the proper method of correcting a mistake in a democratic republic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2008, 08:59 PM
 
Location: Martinsville, NJ
6,159 posts, read 10,893,123 times
Reputation: 3939
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
The settlers should of fought for their rights in THEIR country. Instead they run to the Native Indians country and they then try to make it what they ran from. Get the picture?
In that time, and in this place, the world was operating under a system pretty close to "if you're strong enough to take it, it's yours, and if you aren't, the guys you try to take it from will kill you." Should we use that system & subject theose attempting to take what is ours to that form of justice? Better, I think, to ship them back over the border & show them where the line is so they can come back legally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2008, 09:19 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
The settlers should of fought for their rights in THEIR country. Instead they run to the Native Indians country and they then try to make it what they ran from. Get the picture?
Actually there WAS quite a difference. In the past, America was a much different place, and lots of these Europeans really were quite inspired by the thought of freedom from persecution. Many of them had little thought of how they were going to "make it' Their main objective was to get out, go where they could breathe free, etc. They really WERE inspired by the "Statue of Liberty" stuff, and most made huge efforts to put the "old ways" behind, and to "fit in" here. Many never did make much money, and many had VERY hard lives here--but they had their freedom, and they never lost their gratitude for that fact. Many times, the "old foreigner" down the street was the most patriotic guy in the neighborhood, with the biggest 4th of July flag. That was VERY common.

Today's illegals (Mexicans, at least) aren't running from tyranny. The government there isn't abusive. It's a tough life, and the money doesn't get spread around fairly, but no one can say Mexico is a dictatorship. It doesn't have prison camps or religious persecution--it just has some "stingy" rich people.

Moving here from Mexico today is a financial decision--it's a move to improve one's income. It's something like moving from another state, to get a better job. The modern Mexican illegals don't feel the "Statue of Liberty" thing...they don't shed 'tears of gratitude', nor do they have any burning desire to 'fit in'. They don't see its importance, and WE no longer "demand" it. Illegal immigation today is a matter of economics, not patriotism or any sort of "ideals" or a love of freedom.

It's a different world now, a different US, and a different KIND of immigration. I've seen MANY Mexican immigrants who ARE patriotic Americans, and as a class, they have a high rate of military service, etc. But what we're talking about here is the "new" class of illegals--say in the past 10 or so years. Some of these guys aren't exactly in any hurry to 'fit in', if you get my drift...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2008, 01:20 AM
 
Location: On my way to FLA baby !!
1,999 posts, read 1,182,711 times
Reputation: 357
Laws are made to be changed with the changes that come with time.

Time to change the law to reflect today, no more birthright to citizenship should be made law like yesterday !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2008, 01:27 AM
 
Location: California
3,432 posts, read 2,157,153 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Actually there WAS quite a difference. In the past, America was a much different place, and lots of these Europeans really were quite inspired by the thought of freedom from persecution. Many of them had little thought of how they were going to "make it' Their main objective was to get out, go where they could breathe free, etc. They really WERE inspired by the "Statue of Liberty" stuff, and most made huge efforts to put the "old ways" behind, and to "fit in" here. Many never did make much money, and many had VERY hard lives here--but they had their freedom, and they never lost their gratitude for that fact. Many times, the "old foreigner" down the street was the most patriotic guy in the neighborhood, with the biggest 4th of July flag. That was VERY common.

Today's illegals (Mexicans, at least) aren't running from tyranny. The government there isn't abusive. It's a tough life, and the money doesn't get spread around fairly, but no one can say Mexico is a dictatorship. It doesn't have prison camps or religious persecution--it just has some "stingy" rich people.

Moving here from Mexico today is a financial decision--it's a move to improve one's income. It's something like moving from another state, to get a better job. The modern Mexican illegals don't feel the "Statue of Liberty" thing...they don't shed 'tears of gratitude', nor do they have any burning desire to 'fit in'. They don't see its importance, and WE no longer "demand" it. Illegal immigation today is a matter of economics, not patriotism or any sort of "ideals" or a love of freedom.

It's a different world now, a different US, and a different KIND of immigration. I've seen MANY Mexican immigrants who ARE patriotic Americans, and as a class, they have a high rate of military service, etc. But what we're talking about here is the "new" class of illegals--say in the past 10 or so years. Some of these guys aren't exactly in any hurry to 'fit in', if you get my drift...
I'm referring to the first settlers, you know, way past the statue of liberty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2008, 06:52 AM
 
65 posts, read 108,587 times
Reputation: 22
anyone who thinks that the settlers/immigrants of 250 years ago are the same as the illegal immigrants of today is an idiot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2008, 07:05 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanMan View Post
anyone who thinks that the settlers/immigrants of 250 years ago are the same as the illegal immigrants of today is an idiot.
Easy there:

I hate to say this; but looking at just the 'Irish' 150 years ago, culturally speaking they may have been worse than many of today's illegals. I was referring to fighting, drinking, poor work ethic, etc.

The difference back then was that said Irish were almost always legal immigrants so they had rights
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2008, 08:17 AM
 
2,141 posts, read 7,036,503 times
Reputation: 1245
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
The law wasn't well written and its intent is NOT for illegal immigrants to borne legal immigrants by the fact that they were here. They never thought our government would allow such disregard of our borders, if they did, it would of been worded much differently. Too bad nobody has the backbone to make the law much more clear about its intent.
Just as when the right to bear arms was written at a time that is was meant for militias and not everyone in day to day life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top