U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 10:26 PM

13,207 posts, read 10,607,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
One correction here both parties like the cheap labor. It's not just a Republican thing.

I agree! It is just that the Democrats do not like to acknowledge that fact. They would rather be known for liking the votes. Special interest lines the pockets of both Parties and neither is saying "no more". It is one of the contentions with the Republicans and the position's of Trump and Cruz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 09:45 AM

30,126 posts, read 15,685,319 times
Do you know what xenophobia means? I doubt it.

Illegal immigration is a problem. Immigration isn't. However, there is a problem that has to do with H1-B Visas, where American workers are being displaced by cheaper foreign labor and are required to train their replacements. People have a right to be upset about this, and it is not xenophobic.

Your analogy is flawed because a company is free to hire the best-qualified candidate for any position, so if someone moves from Oregon to Indiana and applies for an open position, and he is the best-qualified, he is not taking that job from anybody. As a U.S. citizen, he is free to move wherever he wants, and also to obtain employment in his new location.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:12 AM

5,464 posts, read 2,305,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Think of what you are saying. What Party was the last Party to grant 'official' amnesty? While Obama is currently 'granting' amnesty through Presidential decree; the Democrats, when in control of both WH and Congress, did not grant amnesty.

As far as I see; both Parties have been having a party at taxpayer expense. One wants cheap votes and the other one wants cheap labor - but both Parties are sharing the same bed. Many times I think the Parties are cross-dressers! The only 'taboo' to our friendly politicians is supporting the people that actually voted them into office!
Reagan was very reluctant to grant amnesty and did it only with a promise from Democrats in congress that they would secure the border. Naturally Democrats completely stabbed Reagan in the back and didn't lift a finger to secure the border.

Today, Republicans in congress are almost as bad. But outside of Washington DC, in the general public, it is Democrats, not Republicans, that want amnesty.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Do you know what xenophobia means? I doubt it.

Illegal immigration is a problem. Immigration isn't. However, there is a problem that has to do with H1-B Visas, where American workers are being displaced by cheaper foreign labor and are required to train their replacements. People have a right to be upset about this, and it is not xenophobic.

Your analogy is flawed because a company is free to hire the best-qualified candidate for any position, so if someone moves from Oregon to Indiana and applies for an open position, and he is the best-qualified, he is not taking that job from anybody. As a U.S. citizen, he is free to move wherever he wants, and also to obtain employment in his new location.

And your analogy is flawed; how many Americans are busy training immigrants to take their jobs?
Why don't we ask the Disney World employees or simply ask me? I am busy training immigrants from all over the world for tech jobs. I am in a position where I am not complaining because I am retired. However; I have been doing this for years as only a temp and my trainees are getting the full time jobs. Other American workers, like myself, are being overlooked for those full time positions.

Yes; I know that there are skilled, educated, foreign workers that truly deserve the jobs that I am training them for. Many times I just feel, that if we gave the same help to our own, that we would not have to look half way around the globe.

With business everything is dollars and cents. Somebody has all the angles figured out. If I hire Anam from Pakistan I will receive federal money. If I keep her just a few years, and then fire her, it is unlikely she will sue because she will be embarrassed. She has a teaching certificate which looks good for the government requirements for my industry. She will work more hours than needed and will short herself on pay by working through breaks or lunch. She is less likely to report an injury or our company not following government rules or regulations. There is always an angle.

I am old enough that I remember our politicians praising American workers as the most productive in the world. That has not happened for thirty or forty years. We have been sold out.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
Reagan was very reluctant to grant amnesty and did it only with a promise from Democrats in congress that they would secure the border. Naturally Democrats completely stabbed Reagan in the back and didn't lift a finger to secure the border.

Today, Republicans in congress are almost as bad. But outside of Washington DC, in the general public, it is Democrats, not Republicans, that want amnesty.

They are in bed together. Look at the Republican support for the last Obama spending bill that happened to drastically increase H2B's. Current politicians on both sides are doing everything they can to undermine American wages in the private sector and, at the same time, insuring big government for years to come.

Most of us feel that Rubio would be worse than Reagan. Reagan gave amnesty to 3 million that turned out to be more like 9 million. Rubio would give amnesty to 12 million that would turn out to be more like 30 million. Of course Sanders would be worse and he would want to give them all the free college education at our expense.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:28 PM

5,464 posts, read 2,305,291 times
Quote:
They are in bed together. Look at the Republican support for the last Obama spending bill that happened to drastically increase H2B's. Current politicians on both sides are doing everything they can to undermine American wages in the private sector and, at the same time, insuring big government for years to come.

Most of us feel that Rubio would be worse than Reagan. Reagan gave amnesty to 3 million that turned out to be more like 9 million. Rubio would give amnesty to 12 million that would turn out to be more like 30 million. Of course Sanders would be worse and he would want to give them all the free college education at our expense.

I agree! Republicans and Democrats these days both want amnesty, just for different reasons. The Republicans are owned by the US Chamber of Commerce and the Democrats are owned by raving Marxists.

I have ZERO faith in the federal government OR any presidential candidate to fix any of this.

Old 03-08-2016, 04:50 PM

30,126 posts, read 15,685,319 times
Quote:
And your analogy is flawed; how many Americans are busy training immigrants to take their jobs?
Why don't we ask the Disney World employees or simply ask me? I am busy training immigrants from all over the world for tech jobs. I am in a position where I am not complaining because I am retired. However; I have been doing this for years as only a temp and my trainees are getting the full time jobs. Other American workers, like myself, are being overlooked for those full time positions.

Yes; I know that there are skilled, educated, foreign workers that truly deserve the jobs that I am training them for. Many times I just feel, that if we gave the same help to our own, that we would not have to look half way around the globe.

With business everything is dollars and cents. Somebody has all the angles figured out. If I hire Anam from Pakistan I will receive federal money. If I keep her just a few years, and then fire her, it is unlikely she will sue because she will be embarrassed. She has a teaching certificate which looks good for the government requirements for my industry. She will work more hours than needed and will short herself on pay by working through breaks or lunch. She is less likely to report an injury or our company not following government rules or regulations. There is always an angle.

I am old enough that I remember our politicians praising American workers as the most productive in the world. That has not happened for thirty or forty years. We have been sold out.
I didn't provide an analogy, so no flaw.

There are literally thousands of Americans being displaced by H1-B visa holders, and they are being required to train these people or they forfeit their severance. This isn't a case where the Americans do not have the training. They are already fully trained, with years of experience. They don't need "help." These companies are not looking "half way around the globe" for skilled labor. Their employees already have the skills. They are looking for cheap labor.

Don't tell me about business. I understand business, having spent much of my life working for small manufacturers. I worked my way up from bench technician to the Marketing Department, where I held several positions. I know about costing, profit, inventory control, material control, export documentation, such as L.O.C's (Letters of Credit) invoicing, shipping, Q.C., and even accounting. It isn't about figuring out "angles." Sounds to me like you are a government shill What you are claiming you do sounds like scamming the government, at the expense of hard working and honest Americans.

Perhaps it's time for you to start thinking more and "feeling" less. That's the problem with Leftist. They "feel" but they don't think!

Old 03-08-2016, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Perhaps it's time for you to start thinking more and "feeling" less. That's the problem with Leftist. They "feel" but they don't think!

That is the very first time I have been called that on this forum! At heart I am a conservative, atheist, Independent - for whatever that is worth. But, for this coming PA Primary, I am a Republican for the very first time in my 69 years.

I would like to see an end to illegal immigration, E-Verify instituted everyplace, and fines for the employers. I would like to see reasonable limits on legal immigration and proper vetting for nations that have active (radical) Muslim populations. I want the US prepared for the coming wave of automation that will replace many American workers in the next decade.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:26 PM

31,704 posts, read 14,622,494 times
Quote:
That is the very first time I have been called that on this forum! At heart I am a conservative, atheist, Independent - for whatever that is worth. But, for this coming PA Primary, I am a Republican for the very first time in my 69 years.

I would like to see an end to illegal immigration, E-Verify instituted everyplace, and fines for the employers. I would like to see reasonable limits on legal immigration and proper vetting for nations that have active (radical) Muslim populations. I want the US prepared for the coming wave of automation that will replace many American workers in the next decade.

Nice to see an intelligent, thoughtful poster as yourself in here. Your ideas make so much sense but then as another poster pointed out liberal lefties only think with emotion not logic. Of course your views will be deemed racist and xenophobic by them.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:35 PM

8,401 posts, read 9,558,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
I believe that America must reform its immigration polices and that illegals should be sent home.

I wonder if the right wing immigration zealots also seek to enforce the law with Eastern Europeans who make a mockery of our immigration laws. I have lots of Eastern European friends and ALL, yes, ALL, of them have a family member that is doing something shady and underhanded with our immigration system...paying for marriage, filing false petitions, etc.

I think that not only should we be hard on the Latinos and the Muslims but also on the cheating Russians and other Eastern Euro criminals.

What do you think?
Agree, as I've also run across some of the same. It applies to everyone, you cheat a system and you should know what to expect. It's pretty elementary, or at least it should be. People who do illegal things often use language to disguise what they are doing. It's called justifying their faults. Unfortunately it is seeming to work in this country which is absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or