Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2008, 03:54 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,406,785 times

Advertisements

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Many of the illegal immigrants who have been rebuilding New Orleans since Hurricane Katrina stayed behind when Gustav struck because they were afraid of being arrested if they boarded the buses and trains arranged by emergency officials.

"We know that people died during Katrina, but we had no choice but to stay here," said Carlos Mendoza, a 21-year-old illegal immigrant from Honduras who rode out the storm with seven other people. They took shelter in an apartment that is close to a street corner where day laborers congregate.

"Many stayed because of fear," Mendoza said. "I would say at least 50 percent of us."

Authorities offered to evacuate residents on buses and trains — and promised not to ferret out illegal immigrants. But fear of being arrested or deported kept Mendoza and every other undocumented person he knows from accepting the free ride.

Immigrant-rights groups estimate the city is home to as many as 30,000 illegal immigrants. No one knows how many stayed behind.

New Orleans' Hispanic population is tiny compared to other major American cities. But it was practically nonexistent until Katrina destroyed large swaths of the city. The reconstruction boom attracted thousands of illegal immigrants, mostly men from Mexico and Central America who worked as day laborers.

The Associated Press: Illegal immigrants opted to stay during Gustav (broken link)

Maybe ICE needs to pay a visit to N.O. and help these criminals find their way back home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 12:17 AM

54 posts, read 49,790 times
God they are like disgusting cockroaches..they are everywhere. If only we could get a democratic president that would stop this nonsense. I'd vote for him.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:20 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,105,965 times
Taco trucks and Mexican music are not compatible to New Orleans.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:20 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,326,380 times
[quote=bombay637;5103787]God they are like disgusting cockroaches..they are everywhere. If only we could get a democratic president that would stop this nonsense. I'd vote for him.[/QUOTE]

If only we could get any presidential candidate-democratic, republican, independent or even the cookie monster party-who cares what party. I could care less about party, race, gender, whatever. We need a president who is going to fully seal our borders, have all illegals go home one way or another and never give amnesty. Throw in pardoning Ramos and Compean, finding and bringing to justice Luis Aguilar's killer and implementing a time out on all immigration and most visas to fix this mess and he/she will get my vote and a contribution.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:42 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,406,785 times
[quote=nicolem;5105246]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay637 View Post
God they are like disgusting cockroaches..they are everywhere. If only we could get a democratic president that would stop this nonsense. I'd vote for him.[/QUOTE]

If only we could get any presidential candidate-democratic, republican, independent or even the cookie monster party-who cares what party. I could care less about party, race, gender, whatever. We need a president who is going to fully seal our borders, have all illegals go home one way or another and never give amnesty. Throw in pardoning Ramos and Compean, finding and bringing to justice Luis Aguilar's killer and implementing a time out on all immigration and most visas to fix this mess and he/she will get my vote and a contribution.
As usual dead on! I too am sick of the overpopulation of traitors masquerading as representatives of American government.

As for Ramos, Compean, Hernandez, et al they were deliberately targeted to be made examples of and instill fear in all of those who bravely protect our borders.

At the rate we are going I won't be surprised when they globalize the job of Border Patrol and open it up to members of the Mexican drug cartel.

Of course this will be classified as one of those jobs "Americans won't do".

Old 09-03-2008, 02:15 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,743,008 times
[quote=JDubsMom;5106335]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post

As usual dead on! I too am sick of the overpopulation of traitors masquerading as representatives of American government.

As for Ramos, Compean, Hernandez, et al they were deliberately targeted to be made examples of and instill fear in all of those who bravely protect our borders.

At the rate we are going I won't be surprised when they globalize the job of Border Patrol and open it up to members of the Mexican drug cartel.

Of course this will be classified as one of those jobs "Americans won't do".
I predict that the job of protecting our borders will go to the United Nations and you betcha, Americans need not apply. I so agree with your disgust of our leadership, it is found lacking on both sides of the room.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:34 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,450,741 times
They were too scared to leave but not scared enough to talk to the media. They get no sympathy from me.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:28 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,449,100 times
Enough already.

Put them on a bus back home!

Old 09-03-2008, 03:39 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,493,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay637 View Post
God they are like disgusting cockroaches..they are everywhere.
Ew I know. Just like the Negroes and Irish pigs and Chinamen who invade our precious Native Soil!

Vote Know Nothing Party this election! America for Americans!

Old 09-04-2008, 06:13 PM

4 posts, read 7,482 times
Sorry, I do have to agree with all of you about the candidates. As far as the rest goes well I have met legal and illegal people and hell just because some of them are rude, not well educated, can't speak english, dont mean that they are not human beings, and they also want what we have freedom, and a good life, So as far as me goes I think that sometimes people need to really met does kind of people before you can judge them. Heck I know that I love me some chinese food, taco bell, and some KFC, so if all of you like that too and other kind of things from different cultures you should not be saying this, and don't take me wrong, but the only reason I SAY this is because my kids taught me this, and show me a different side of other people ethics groups. Who knew you can learn from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration