U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 12:49 PM

407 posts, read 716,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I have met many illegals from Europe; Ireland, Britain all the way to Croatia. There are a lot of them in NYC and Miami.. definitely more on the East Coast.
And you love them as you do the illegal mexicans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 12:50 PM

407 posts, read 716,250 times
Quote:
SO does that give everyone a free pass to be discriminatory or something?
Majority = Mexicans, means we have a right to single them out and lay our prejudices upon them.

I never understood why people repeat this comment, unless it is for that purpose alone.
No, it is because it is TRUE and the fact that you don't like it means nothing.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:52 PM

9,076 posts, read 15,523,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthMother1951 View Post
No, it is because it is TRUE and the fact that you don't like it means nothing.
But what point does it serve saying it repeatedly? What advantage does it offer, if not self-enabling to be prejudice towards them.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthMother1951 View Post
And you love them as you do the illegal mexicans?
Never said I love any of them, but many of them come from rich parents and don't even work, they do it for fun.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:49 PM

9,742 posts, read 9,096,161 times
Quote:
But what point does it serve saying it repeatedly? What advantage does it offer, if not self-enabling to be prejudice towards them.
Disliking a culture or aspect of culture does not amount to prejudice. No culture is monolithic, of course, but when one regularly sees (what he feels are) negative aspects of a culture, it is quite natural to be repelled by its members.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Disliking a culture or aspect of culture does not amount to prejudice. No culture is monolithic, of course, but when one regularly sees (what he feels are) negative aspects of a culture, it is quite natural to be repelled by its members.
OK "repelled" by an aspect of culture that infers a need to can all the members of said culture. Is that not making a prejudgment?

Does saying "Mexicans are the majority" enable you to prejudge them?

Old 02-11-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
OK "repelled" by an aspect of culture that infers a need to can all the members of said culture.
No, it's a call to assimilate to our culture.
Quote:
Is that not making a prejudgment?
How can being repelled by cultural actions be prejudicial?

If you saw your next door neighbor barbequing his dog, would it prejudicial to express disgust at such an action?

Quote:
Does saying "Mexicans are the majority" enable you to prejudge them?
This makes no sense in the context of our discussion.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
No, it's a call to assimilate to our culture.

How can being repelled by cultural actions be prejudicial?

If you saw your next door neighbor barbequing his dog, would it prejudicial to express disgust at such an action?

This makes no sense in the context of our discussion.
Then you missed the point of what I said.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Then you missed the point of what I said.
And you apparently missed my point.

I encounter bums regularly when I'm downtown. They are an annoyance. I don't like panhandlers. I know what a bum looks like. I can spot him a mile away. When I see one approaching, I preempt him by asking first, "Got a cigarette?" Is that prejudice or something I've learned from experience?

Old 02-11-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
And you apparently missed my point.

I encounter bums regularly when I'm downtown. They are an annoyance. I don't like panhandlers. I know what a bum looks like. I can spot him a mile away. When I see one approaching, I preempt him by asking first, "Got a cigarette?" Is that prejudice or something I've learned from experience?
Bums come in all shapes, saying Mexicans...is a little different of an experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration