U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 01:29 PM

8,105 posts, read 10,051,185 times

Advertisements

If you had a friend or family member that admittedly is in a relationship with an illegal immigrant and living with them, what would you do?

What about a co-worker? Would you report them to management? Could you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 01:32 PM

7,913 posts, read 5,309,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I had an illegal Mexican co-worker pull a knife on me in '93. I reported him to management. The boss said he couldn't fire the worker because all his illegal co-workers threatened to quit if he were fired.

By the way, this man would scream, "Platos para los Mexicanos" when he would stock the line with plates. He would never stock the American cook with plates. The American had to get his own from the dish area. Nothing was ever done.

Such nice, sweet people.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:33 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,278,648 times
Quote:
If you had a friend or family member that admittedly is in a relationship with an illegal immigrant and living with them, what would you do?

My duty as a citizen.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:33 PM

8,105 posts, read 10,051,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
I had an illegal Mexican co-worker pull a knife on me in '93. I reported him to management. The boss said he couldn't fire the worker because all his illegal co-workers threatened to quit if he were fired.
Well that is a serious violent problem I would report anyone on.

What if your brother was engaged to an illegal from Honduras? She was a nice girl..you know, he loved her.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:35 PM

15,150 posts, read 17,732,611 times
Quote:

report them. if i believe that illegals need to go, no exceptions.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:30 AM

8,633 posts, read 16,295,641 times
I'd report the illegal. Or march his butt to an immigration office and force him to become a legal citizen before he could date any of my family members.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:12 AM

65 posts, read 79,768 times
Quote:
Well that is a serious violent problem I would report anyone on.

What if your brother was engaged to an illegal from Honduras? She was a nice girl..you know, he loved her.
NO ONE i know would ever get mixed up with an illegal, Have you?

Old 02-08-2008, 12:04 PM

25,156 posts, read 27,058,349 times
She is here illegally. She is breaking the law.

Let me put it this way. Instead of "illegal alien," substitute the word "bunko artist" or "shoplifter" or any other noun that describes a person engaged in illegal activity. Now, that person may be the nicest, kindest person in the world. That person may even love your brother and not be in it for the Green Card. But there's already a dubious aspect to this relationship, one that wouldn't exist if she were here legally.

So first, you have to question her motivation. Second, you have to move from the particular to the general. Tip O'Neill once said that all politics is local. Well, in the realm of the immigration debate, all politics is personal. Nobody wants to deport Juan, the nice, hard-working guy who cuts your grass once a week. Nobody wants to deport Maria, a kind woman who works two jobs and does her best to educate her two kids.

However, multiply Juan and Maria by ten million, and you have a serious problem on your hands, one that strains an already overburdened network of government services. While the country is close to full employment right now, Juan and Maria could be potentially be taking jobs from Americans who need them, by willing to work for less money. Watch the economy tank and the unemployment rate shoot up, and how charitable are you willing to be to illegal aliens then?

That's why this country has immigration limits, and restricts how, why, and when foreign nationals can live and work here. Yet, for some reason, the illegals from Central America seem to get a free pass on this matter.

I am not heartless. I believe that American policies need to be overhauled to acommodate the obvious needs of employers who require labor, thereby allowing guest workers. At the same time, just allowing people to wander into the country and work in an underground economy simply undermines the social fabric of the country, one illegal at a time. And your brother's girlfriend is part of the problem.

So, yeah. Pick up the phone and call the INS. It's your duty as a citizen of this country.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:43 PM

335 posts, read 706,709 times
Wow what a sweet bunch! In this case Mach I think it would be a personal decision. If I were you and I knew that my "family member" was in love with this person I would have a talk with him/her and ask them how serious the relationship is then go from their (discussing options)

Old 02-08-2008, 12:49 PM

3,432 posts, read 282,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post

By the way, this man would scream, "Platos para los Mexicanos" when he would stock the line with plates. He would never stock the American cook with plates. The American had to get his own from the dish area. Nothing was ever done.

Such nice, sweet people.
Yea, this guy did all this to you. So they must all be like this right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration