U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-11-2016, 07:34 PM
 
890 posts, read 597,610 times
Reputation: 511

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Why is it that it's so often repeated on here that illegals only come here because liberals refuse to enforce the border, and they come for our generous benefits? Canada is far far more liberal than the US, has WAY BETTER benefits than the US, a less xenophobic society overall, an open border almost everywhere, yet Canada has no illegal immigration crisis. If illegal immigration is a liberal problem, why is Canada seemingly immune to illegal immigration compared to the US? By some estimates I searched on Google, Canada has between 35,000-120,000 illegals. The US has 11-13 million.
Most illegal aliens in the US are from Mexico. They just cross the border. Canadian illegals are probably people who just overstayed their visa. If you are in the system(they had a visa to begin with) it is easier to find them and kick them out. Plus US corporations encourage illegal aliens because they can be exploited. Canadian companies probably are more ethical or have better government regulation which makes having illegal immigrants difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-11-2016, 08:47 PM
 
25,060 posts, read 22,112,973 times
Reputation: 11576
Quote:
Originally Posted by moionfire View Post
Most illegal aliens in the US are from Mexico. They just cross the border. Canadian illegals are probably people who just overstayed their visa. If you are in the system(they had a visa to begin with) it is easier to find them and kick them out. Plus US corporations encourage illegal aliens because they can be exploited. Canadian companies probably are more ethical or have better government regulation which makes having illegal immigrants difficult.
So, what you're saying is, it has nothing to do with liberal this, conservative that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
A while back (either when Clinton was president or GW Bush) one year there was talk about cracking down on illegals (all it turned out to be was talk). When that happened, some illegals freaked out and went to Canada---and the Canadians let them in. Once the rest of the illegals realized that it was nothing more than empty talk, they just stayed here.
So why didn't they all go to Canada where they welcomed them, as you say? Why stay in a country that is more hostile to them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Welfare Use by Immigrant and Native Households | Center for Immigration Studies
Illegal, but Not Undocumented | Center for Immigration Studies
Senate report: Illegal immigrants benefited from up to $750M in ObamaCare subsidies | Fox News
Medicaid Helps Hospitals Pay For Illegal Immigrantsí Care | Kaiser Health News
SCHIP Bill Increases Illegal Immigrants' Access to Medicaid and Undermines Welfare Reform




But the pervs can get away with sexual assault here: Report: Released Illegal Aliens Rapists Not Tracked or Registered as Sex Offenders


No right to government healthcare: Illegal immigrant has no right to government health care, court rules - The Globe and Mail

And, I don't really care what Canada does with them or not. In Canada they are not considered criminals but here, they are. I support Trump as the best candidate to curb this crime wave.
Your welfare use link is talking about legal immigrants, or makes no distinction. This is the illegal immigration forum, not a soapbox for you to complain about legal immigrants.

Your second link is just plain old fashioned identity fraud. Again, nothing to do with the government giving out benefits specifically to illegals. They are getting benefits because the government believes they are US citizens or LPRs. So, again, illegals themselves are not receiving benefits, "citizens" are, through fraud.

Your third link says that the government didn't give subsidies because of immigration status, they weren't able to sufficiently vet their legal status at the time. So, the government is not purposely giving away subsidies to ineligible immigrants.

You can thank Ronald Reagan for the fourth link. Again, all people in the US are entitled to emergency treatment regardless of immigration status. Just because you're illegal in no way, shape, or form should it be a death sentence.

Fifth link is a travesty, and it should be reformed.

Sixth link, jail them for crimes, and then deport them even if they don't have documentation. Reading deep into the article it reveals that the government doesn't release them because they don't care, or they're not illegals (no special treatment), but they won't deport criminals to satisfy US documentation requirements, and no surprise the home country doesn't acknowledge them. So just deport them anyway.

All of your links, except one, are pretty weak on their merits. And in none of them do they explain why illegals stay here over Canada, except getting healthcare. But, illegals aren't coming here just for the healthcare, so it's a pretty weak argument especially since the medical system in Mexico is actually developed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2016, 08:50 PM
 
25,060 posts, read 22,112,973 times
Reputation: 11576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britttt89 View Post
Because in Canada you only get benefits if you're a citizen. We imprison caught illegals indefinitely. Also Canada does NOT have a generous welfare system and benefits. I'm disabled (Multiple Sclerosis) and I get nothing other than basic healthcare. I don't qualify for disability because I'm semi ambulatory and walk with a cane so I work my butt off. The Canada you think you know is not the actual Canada, in other words we're NOT That generous.
You only get benefits if you're a citizen here, too, or permanent resident that has lived here for 5 years. Yes, Canada has a generous system, compared to OURS. Every Canadian knows that, so I don't believe you are Canadian in the least especially since I've read actual books by Canadian authors comparing US welfare to Canadian welfare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2016, 11:38 PM
 
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
11,269 posts, read 12,477,619 times
Reputation: 13422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britttt89 View Post
Because in Canada you only get benefits if you're a citizen. We imprison caught illegals indefinitely.

Annnnnnd........ then we deport them. No fuss, no muss. No "promise to appear" in court for a DEPORTATION HEARING.


Sounds better than the alternative, no?

Border agent: 'We might as well abolish our immigration laws altogether' | Washington Examiner

"Not only do we release these individuals that by law are subject to removal proceedings, we do it without any means of tracking their whereabouts. Agents believe this exploitable policy was set in place because DHS was embarrassed at the sheer number of those who choose not to follow the law by showing up for their court appearances. In essence, we pull these persons out of the shadows and into the light just to release them right back to those same shadows from whence they came," he said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2016, 11:53 PM
 
11,488 posts, read 5,511,317 times
Reputation: 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post



So why didn't they all go to Canada where they welcomed them, as you say? Why stay in a country that is more hostile to them?


You tell me. Ignorance on their part?

Even though this country "is more hostile to them", they still get welfare benefits once they birth an anchor baby. Since Obama became president, there haven't been any raids of businesses and no efforts to go after sleazy businesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2016, 02:45 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
4,520 posts, read 1,941,562 times
Reputation: 6763
Has any Canadian Prime Minister made a speech about "undocumented immigrants coming out of the shadows?" Have any Canadian legislators specifically argued to include illegals in their single payer health care system? Do any Canadian politicians pander to them, sending the message for more to come?

Also consider Canadians speak English and French. Why would an illegal trek through the entire United States when we have whole cities and counties comprised of majority Spanish-speakers who may be first and second generation descendants of people who left the same country as the ilegals'. By settling in these areas, illegals wouldn't have to learn a new language, they can blend in with legal immigrant and citizen communities that look like them, they can live in neighborhoods that sell the same type of foods and play the same type of music they're used to back home, they can get drivers licenses (does Canada do this?), they won't freeze their butts off, and they're still close enough to return home if need be, or send for relatives to join them. And their children can attend an American public university on in-state tuition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2016, 03:12 AM
 
5,903 posts, read 6,354,513 times
Reputation: 5447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britttt89 View Post
I am indeed Canadian from Cambridge Ontario. Reading books doesn't offer much insight, you have to live here first to understand. I see nothing of this "generous welfare system" here, there is homelessness, poverty and food insecure people Canada wide. The waiting list for public housing are more than ten years long in Ontario, there are young women with their babies forced to live in shelters or on the street because of this. I have seen it and I have met them. Canada is no socialist paradise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
You only get benefits if you're a citizen here, too, or permanent resident that has lived here for 5 years. Yes, Canada has a generous system, compared to OURS. Every Canadian knows that, so I don't believe you are Canadian in the least especially since I've read actual books by Canadian authors comparing US welfare to Canadian welfare.
Come on Britttt you are making the OP look bad by posting facts. Shane on you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2016, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Canada
3,675 posts, read 2,482,456 times
Reputation: 4734
Quote:
While approximately 5,000 Mexicans enter Canada each year as temporary students or contract workers for agriculture, these are not counted as immigrants because of their explicitly temporary legal status. Unlike the United States’ Bracero program, the temporary-worker program in Canada has various mechanisms to discourage workers from overstaying their permits.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_Canadians
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2016, 06:55 PM
 
25,060 posts, read 22,112,973 times
Reputation: 11576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britttt89 View Post
It's funny how quickly the O.P is able to believe fiction and half truths from the book but shuns the idea of truth from an actual Canadian. O.P have you lived in Canada before? And don't tell me you have "friends there" because that gives you no real clear picture. Unless you live here, you don't know what the goings on is in this country.

We are not a hand out nation, we have to work hard and the benefits we receive is few and far between and the ones we do get we pay into every month with our own money. Both your leftist media and far right paint a totally inaccurate picture of Canada, we are either a socialist paradise with our every needs met from cradle to the grave by the government or we are a communist dictatorship resigned to healthcare death panels and slave labour. We are neither of those things. We are just a regular country with a mixed economy, hard working citizens and single payer health system (which most countries have anyway). Your benefits far exceed ours:

WIC
CHIP
COBRA
AFDC
EBT
Medicaid
Medicare
School lunch programs
Obama phones
Disability for everything from Aspergers, the "blues" to being fat.


And many, many more! All of that said, the U.S is far more socialist than Canada.
We aren't a handout nation either. Everybody criticizes us that we leave our poor behind, which we do. Canada doesn't nearly have a homeless problem like we do in the US, you don't dump on your vets like we do here. Either you live in Canada and you pretend that Canada is worse off than the US with your far right views according to your post history

COBRA isn't a benefit. It's a program that lets you keep your employer's insurance plan, but you have to foot the bill yourself after you get fired, laid off, or quit.

EBT isn't a benefit. It's a payment system.
I have yet to see an "Obama phone"
Disabilities are only granted with a doctor's endorsement. This is being reigned in nowadays. You can't just walk in to the county welfare office and say I'm disabled I need welfare. It's a lot more nuanced than that.
CHIP and Medicaid are the same program, exept CHIP is for children, Medicaid for adults.
Medicare is for 65s and over and you pay into it over the course of your life.
AFDC doesn't exist anymore.

Don't pretend Canada doesn't have most of these, because they do. If you didn't, you wouldn't hear NDP politicians saying that Harper and the Conservatives were remaking Canada into the US, destroying the social safety net. So you can keep going and supporting Trump or whatever from the safety of the border, knowing that a demagogue like him couldn't touch your healthcare that even right-wing Canadians won't do without.

Even though this country "is more hostile to them", they still get welfare benefits once they birth an anchor baby. Since Obama became president, there haven't been any raids of businesses and no efforts to go after sleazy businesses.[/quote]

You think this only happens in the US? Canada has anchor babies, too. The point of this entire topic, was never about Canada or the US specifically, but it seems everyone is subtly realizing that, the more liberal nation than ours Canada, is tougher on illegal immigration than the US, a more right-wing country. That was the point of this topic. So far nobody was able to catch on to that, and concentrated only what was in front of their eyes, and not under their noses. Yet, the popular meme in the US is, only liberals want illegal immigration. If that was the case, Canada should be swimming in illegals, but they are not. Seriously, you guys (well, girl in your case) are so quick to jump the gun, except Packard Fan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2016, 07:43 PM
 
11,896 posts, read 14,364,183 times
Reputation: 7526
Canada has a program to bring in temporary workers. But they are better paid, and even get some benefits. And they have to return to their home country. Also, employers can't exploit them or they don't get to hire them the next year. sounds like a better system than the unenforced ban on hiring them that exists in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top